Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This happened in Brooklyn....do you think any non-private attorney has even a modicum of control over how his clients appear in court? The good thing for the system is that judges in the City are by and large tightening up on decorum in the courtroom. Downside is my clients won't stand out as much any longer.

Comment

The lawyer definitely has no control over how his client is dressed. However, you know he had to be thinking, "Oh man, I negotiated this sweet deal for her and she comes in looking like THAT!Please don't let her say anything stupid or we're toast".

Ding! Toast is served.
      Swim & Basic Motor skills: Passed
      CJBAT: 87 first time, 94 second time around
      TABE: 12.9 across the board

Comment

A good lawyer will have the client wear Sunday clothes. A long skirt or dress. If she did not have one I'd tell her to go to goodwill, buy one for $5.00. Is your future worth $5.00 to dress like grandma for a few hours?

Guys should wear shirt with a collar and any pants that are not jeans . No t shirts advertising your a cunning linguist or your latest vacation or whatever.

When you o[pen your mouth, yes ,no your honor. When asked what happened, tell them what you think they want to hear. how hard is that??

Comment

Originally posted by 11b101abn View Post
          Screw her. She is garbage.

Good for the judge for not being PC and polite about things.
          An additional +1.

Just look at the expression, the way she's holding herself in that picture. She did not give a... well, you know.
          Tueri et servire.
          Ad serviendum ac protegendum.

Comment

Originally posted by Unistat View Post
            Oh man, I'm beyond amazed at how people dress for court. I was a punk-rock kid and I have lots of friends with all sorts of piercings and tats, but you have to know what is appropriate in certain situations.

The following compiled by my wife and I.

1. Just because you paid a lot of money for that velvet track suit, does not mean it is "nice clothes."

2. Just because that outfit is what you wear when you want to look "nice" when you go out for a night on the town does not mean you look good or responsible.

3. Ill-fitting thrift store suits are better than brand new jeans and a hoody.

4. That. Does. Not. Fit.

5. That is not a natural hair color.

6. Do not wear your face hardware and limit yourself to one or two rings and a necklace.

7. Cover you tatoos. If you have "sleaves" wear long-sleeved shirts.

8. Cleavage is never appropriate for court, neither are mini-skirts and fishnet stockings.

The best part is that over half of the above apply to lawyers I've seen.

+1 to the velvet track suit. We used to call them "dress sweats" when they would roll into court with unlaced Tims, and a white sweat-suit (w/hoody). At least try. lol

Comment

I'm liking the Judge big time...
              "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left..."
              "I swear to God, I'm gonna pistol whip the next guy who says 'Shenanigans' !"

Comment

You'd like looking at her too.

Comment

Originally posted by marcusindc View Post
                  Um... though perhaps not the best outfit in the world, I've seen waaaaaaaaaaaaay worse by grown adults.
                  Ditto.....I wish I had a dime for every Bob Marley t-shirt or one with a marijuana leaf emblem on it that came to court. I could eliminate the National Debt!
                  sigpic
                  Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
                  And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
                    You'd like looking at her too.
                    http://www.myspace.com/nixzmarybrown...2%3A9478304%7D
                    Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

Comment

Not that I'm advocating dressing poorly for court, but am I the only one who thinks it goes to this judge's head?

"That's how you're going to impress me?" - Judge

Your Honor, no one is supposed to be here to impress you. YOU are here to make a ruling about how the law should apply to this particular case. It just so happens that you are human and your opinion of a person will tend to color your decision.

Comment

She should have said "That's how you respect this Court?"

I think people should go to court like you would go for a job interview, but I understand that too has changed.
                        It's not that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so. Ronald Reagan

TSA, I would rather be felt up than blown up.

Comment

I think the modesty in general is slowly going extinct, not just in courts and interviews. I see some kids in high school wearing the most ridiculous of outfits, dressing in a way I would have gotten smacked for doing when.. I ... was that age.

Wow. Just had an 'old' moment there.

Ahem, anyway, I think society is slacking on enforcing what is acceptable and professional in regards to the fads and fashion that people are exposed to and then carry out for themselves. I understand part of it is also on the individual person lacking brain cells but you look at some celebrities' attire when they attend court and then this girl wearing tattered jeans and a striped shirt, makes you wonder where they learned that this was 'appropriate.'

That's my two-cents.
                          -River
                          Tueri et servire.
                          Ad serviendum ac protegendum.

Comment

Originally posted by Fëanor View Post
                            Not that I'm advocating dressing poorly for court, but am I the only one who thinks it goes to this judge's head?

Your Honor, no one is supposed to be here to impress you. YOU are here to make a ruling about how the law should apply to this particular case. It just so happens that you are human and your opinion of a person will tend to color your decision.

It wasn't a trial, it was a plea. Despite the articles focus on clothing, it also notes that the defendant had come to a previous proceeding under the influence of drugs, refused to admit she had a drug problem nor would she accept treatment, refused to admit her guilt/tried to minimize her roll in the crime she was pleading guilty to, and yes, dressed like a tramp. The judge was well within her discretion to refuse the plea and order the defendant stand trial. Yes the defendant should have to impress upon the judge that she is worthy of the benefits of a plea bargain.

Comment

The first phrase I teach my clients is "YES, your honor." And they must come to court dressed appropriately. I'm not saying business suit on a 17 year old, but a dress shirt and khakis goes a long way when up against a tee-shirt and droopy pants. A good first impression can really help.

Comment

Originally posted by Fëanor View Post

Yes that person in this situation was there to impress the judge. A plea deal isn't fnal unless the judge accepts it. Besides going to court in appropriate attire and admitting guilt is part of the plea deal, not bringing ghetto into the court.
                                GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4473 users online. 248 members and 4225 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X