Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An off-duty correction officer shoots agressor at Micky D's

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/b...#ixzz1OLz5NnlQ

An off-duty correction officer shot and wounded a man during a lunchtime scuffle at a McDonald’s in Brooklyn today, cops said.

The injured 36-year-old man, shot twice in the left leg, was taken to Kings County Hospital in serious condition.

The shooting occurred at 12:40 p.m. in the vestibule of the burger joint at 5713 Church Ave, near the corner of Kings Highway in East Flatbush.

The scene was chaotic, with some of the 15 to 20 customers inside screaming.

Witnesses said a neighborhood man “with mental problems” started harassing a 67-year-old customer waiting on line for food.

“The guy came in and was looking to fight anyone he could find,” said Stacy Houston, who saw the incident unfold.

When the older man pulled out his cell phone to call 911, his tormentor grabbed the phone and slapped him.

The off-duty jail guard, Michael Turnbull, 35, who was in the restaurant, tried to break up the two.

The man then went outside, grabbed a metal pole by a window sill, and “charged” Turnbull, who shot him once in the left leg, then again when he “lunged,” cops said.

“There was a lot of blood on the floor,” Houston said.

“I was in shock,” said a McDonald’s employee. “I couldn’t move. I just stood there looking.”

After the shooting, Turnbull told onlookers, “I’m a cop.”

Some witnesses questioned whether the officer identified himself before pulling his gun, and wondered if he could have restrained the man without shooting him. An investigation is under way.

Turnbull has worked for the city Correction Department for three years, and is assigned to Riker’s Island.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/b...#ixzz1OPMkp7eT
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

If the witnesses were so concerned about the mans safety, why didint they just restrain him?

Comment

After the shooting, Turnbull told onlookers, “I’m a cop.”

Some witnesses questioned whether the officer identified himself before pulling his gun, and wondered if he could have restrained the man without shooting him. An investigation is under way.
      Cop or not, What else could he had done? Asked Pretty please put down that pole or let 3 or 4 of them take it to the head?
      Dam if ya do and dam if ya don't. I see it some fool was stopped and everyone went home safely.

Originally posted by JD_TO View Post
      If the witnesses were so concerned about the mans safety, why didint they just restrain him?
      +1
      Problem is, I was in a Mcd's few days ago and as I was waiting on my order I was just looking around at the people inside. They couldn't or was unable to restrain their own kids much less a scary man with a pole running around.
      Last edited by Vorkon; 06-05-2011, 08:49 AM.
      Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water.

Comment

Good guy went home. Bad guy is in jail (well, jail ward anyway). Good guy needs some practice time on the range apparently
        sigpic
        Originally posted by Smurfette
        Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
        Originally posted by DAL
        You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

The press always finds the dumbest ones to interview. The smart ones run when they see the press. I don't see how identification would make any difference. Bad guy goes after an innocent person trying to get a Big Mac with a pole and the bad guy gets shot, then the bad guy should have made a better choice.

Boo Hoo, he had mental problems... That doesn't excuse his behavior.

I'm glad the good guy went home, and the bad guy went to the hospital.

Covman

Comment

Originally posted by Vorkon View Post
            Cop or not, What else could he had done? Asked Pretty please
            ...with sugar on top?
            I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Are they putting meth or PCP in McDonald's food nowadays? What's with all these brawls and attacks in Micky D's as of late?
              "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
              -Chris Rock

Comment

Originally posted by GangGreen712 View Post
                Are they putting meth or PCP in McDonald's food nowadays? What's with all these brawls and attacks in Micky D's as of late?
                Bring back the McRib and this crap will hopefully stop!
                Last edited by Crimy; 06-06-2011, 07:16 AM.

Comment

The officer stopped a future repeat offender.

Comment

Are COs afforded the right to carry in NYC?

Comment

NYC Correction Officers are Peace Officers with full 24.7 arrest powers and carry on their shield and ID. I'm sure at some point during the confrontation the Officer informed the perp that he was a cop. Not necessary for anyone else but the perp to hear that.

Comment

That's why I use the drive through...... lol

Really good stop by the CO. Just think if that guy had got back inside the resteraunt with that weapon.

Comment

So how soon before 5150 gets out? Seems like where I lived in CA, being mental was an automatic "get out of jail free" card. Stuff that a "sane" person would get a few years in prison for gets a crazy guy 72 hours. Unless someone is killed or seriously injured its like they are right back on the street.

Comment

You just can't win anymore. He just saved lives or serious bodily harm to the victim's and yet people still think something wrong happened on the part of the CO....sigh

Your right, it probably is better to just never get involved off duty....madness...the things that go through people's heads..

Comment

In NY the term Peace Officer defines LEOs that are not Police Officers. NY Peace officers have varying arrest powers limited by their "special duties". Peace Officers have arrest powers that differ in some ways than those of Police Officers. Certain titles such as Court Officers and Correction Officers have 24/7 arrest powers, carry on their ID. Other titles are limited by "their special duties". NY is confusing when it comes to this.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5180 users online. 296 members and 4884 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X