Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honolulu Police investigate deadly shooting spree

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) -
    At about 12:45 a.m. Friday, Honolulu police say 28-year-old Toby Stangel began his shooting rampage where Kapiolani Boulevard meets Kapahulu and Waialae Avenues.

"There were vehicles stopped in traffic. The suspect pulled up behind those vehicles and approached on foot, he opened fire on two vehicles," said Maj. Richard Robinson, of the Honolulu Police Department's Criminal Investigation Division.

Bullets flew out from the semi-automatic pistol, nearly missing a 21 year old man driving an SUV.

However, 54-year-old Tammy Nguyen, who was driving a mini-van, was not so lucky. Bullets pierced the front windshield, hitting her multiple times in the head.

She was rushed to the Queen's Medical Center in critical condition, where she later died. Her 16-year-old female passenger was not hurt.

Police say Stangel sped off on the H-1 Freeway. Ten minutes later, between the Houghtailing and Likelike off-ramp, Stangel slammed into the back of 24-year-old Amy Asuncion's car. She was shot through the back and critically wounded.

Officers say at the same time, Stangel shot at 38-year-old Samson Naupoto as he drove by, wounding him in the leg.

The shooting wasn't over yet. Just minutes before they arrested him near Kaamilo overpass, police say he shot at officers working a traffic stop at the Moanalua Freeway near the Aiea off-ramp.

"The suspect drove by slowly and opened fire on two officers," Richardson said.
    Neither of the officers were hurt, and they did not shoot back. However, they did go after him.

According to police, Stangel pulled his 2002 BMW over and that's where they found him.
    Stangel was arrested and booked on five charges including murder.

"At this time, we do not believe there is any connection between the victims, and we do not have a motive at this time either," Richardson said.

This violent and random act of violence has shaken up the community.

"I don't know if he has a mental problem or drugs. I just hope there is justice against that person, there needs to be justice and help," said Fiorella Brauch, UH ROTC student. "But in the end, yes, we can judge him, but God will judge him for what he did to the other people."

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/1...ation-shooting

This happened right down the street from me.....and I travel through the area all the damn time.

And folks wonder why I carry over here.....

Comment

Not to be critical, but if he had shot at officers on the mailand, it would have sounded like a war zone. Truly, the idiot should never have been arrested...........the coroner should have been called to the scene. In that regard, the HPD officers showed great restraint. JMHO

Sympathies to those who were innocently attacked and wounded.
      Last edited by SgtCHP; 06-04-2011, 07:51 AM.
      Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
        Not to be critical, but if he had shot at officers on the mailand, it would have sounded like a war zone. Truly, the idiot should never have been arrested...........the coroner should have been called to the scene. In that regard, the HPD officers showed great restraint. JMHO

Sympathies to those who were innocently attacked and wounded.
        Not sure why they didnt' shoot back. Last time someone shot at them about 2 months ago.....they killed one with mulitple hits and damn near killed the other guy......

Where's Surf when you need him...? Probably past his bedtime....

Comment

^^^lol..

The guy was driving by the officers when he shot.. I would agree that not shooting at a car speeding away with traffic around is the best decision... they went after him and caught him... great job.

Comment

Originally posted by jannino View Post
            ^^^lol..

The guy was driving by the officers when he shot.. I would agree that not shooting at a car speeding away with traffic around is the best decision... they went after him and caught him... great job.
            That was my impression; they probably didn't have the oppurtunity to return fire during the initial drive-by volley.

-V

Comment

Originally posted by vincelli View Post
              That was my impression; they probably didn't have the oppurtunity to return fire during the initial drive-by volley.

-V
              Not sure....I haven't talked to anyone about it yet......

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5697 users online. 334 members and 5363 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X