• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10-year-old boy gets ticket for not wearing seat belt properly

By Miguel Liscano
    AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
    Updated: 9:40 a.m. Friday, June 3, 2011

ROUND ROCK —

On his way home Tuesday from Jim Plain Elementary School in Leander, fourth-grader Marshall May, sitting in the passenger seat of the family minivan, was ticketed for not wearing his seat belt properly.

Problem is, Texas law says a person must be at least 15 years old to commit such an offense. If a child isn't properly secured by a seat belt, the adult in the car would be at fault, according to the law. But Marshall's aunt, Ashley Arredondo, 19, who was driving, didn't receive a ticket.

"I was really scared, I could tell you that," Marshall said Thursday. "I didn't know what to do.

"He made me sign my signature, but I don't have a signature because I'm 10 years old."
    Instead, Marshall printed his full name.

By Thursday, the story landed on Austin talk radio, and reporters began asking questions.
    Interim Leander City Manager Robert Powers said Thursday that Marshall should not have been ticketed.

"I think it was just a mistake," Powers said. "It wasn't anything egregious or malicious."
    The Police Department has taken procedural steps with the city's municipal court that will likely lead to the ticket's dismissal, Powers said. It will be up to the court to dismiss the ticket.

"I don't know if they requested it be dismissed or if they asked that it be taken into consideration, but that's certainly the intent," Powers said.

Marshall was in the passenger seat when he decided to stick his head out the window for some air, he said. As he stretched, the seat belt slipped up toward his neck and shoulder area, he said.

That's when the police officer pulled over the minivan driven by Arredondo.

After a brief discussion, the officer ticketed Marshall.

"He said: 'You were wearing your seat belt incorrectly. Sorry, but click it or ticket,'" Marshall said.

Police said the boy wasn't properly wearing the belt because it wasn't covering the top of his chest, said Marshall's stepmother, Kristy May.

"I thought it was a joke until I saw the actual ticket," said Marshall's father, Gabriel May. "I didn't think there was any gravity to it whatsoever."

Gabriel May said he's not sure whether the incident will lead to a court visit, but he said he'd show up if necessary.

"I will, because I'm a law-abiding citizen," he said. "I think they should drop it."

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...t-1515754.html

Why is there any doubt that it will be dropped? The law says you have to be fifteen, the kid is ten.
    sigpic
    Don't make me gassy.
    You wouldn't LIKE me when I'm gassy...

If you're offended by something that I've said...it was just your turn.

Comment

UH OH someone will be going to see the Capt.

I stopped a car with a 12 y/o in the back seat that wasn't wearing a belt. I took the time to ask why and he said that he didn't like it and its not cool. We talked some more and I couldn't quite convince this kid a seat belt is not about looking cool, and mom said that he puts it on before they leave but takes it off once she is not paying attention. I talked to mom at my squad car for a while and she was telling me that she has tried everything but he wont listen. I told mom that if it was ok with her I would just write her a warning then if she would give me her sons info I would write hime out a ticket and issue it to him. Only instead of sending the ticket to the court I would destroy my copies. Boy that kid was surprised when I walked back up and gave him my ticket book to sign. He kept saying he didn't know where he was going to get 60 bucks, and mom played along the whole time. She called me a few weeks later and said that it worked, he buckles up everytime now and stays that way.

Comment

Not a huge deal. The ticket will be dropped and everyone will move on. LOL, my mom probably would have paid it then made me work it off.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcat357 View Post
          "he said: 'you were wearing your seat belt incorrectly. Sorry, but click it or ticket,'" marshall said.
          ghey
          Whitechapel - Hate Creation

Comment

what an idiot.. who would think you actually can ticket a 10 year old?

this article doesn't seem to be anything like what you said, badge.. i like your idea and glad you took the time out to make the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by badge17 View Post

I stopped a car with a 12 y/o in the back seat that wasn't wearing a belt. I took the time to ask why and he said that he didn't like it and its not cool. We talked some more and I couldn't quite convince this kid a seat belt is not about looking cool, and mom said that he puts it on before they leave but takes it off once she is not paying attention. I talked to mom at my squad car for a while and she was telling me that she has tried everything but he wont listen. I told mom that if it was ok with her I would just write her a warning then if she would give me her sons info I would write hime out a ticket and issue it to him. Only instead of sending the ticket to the court I would destroy my copies. Boy that kid was surprised when I walked back up and gave him my ticket book to sign. He kept saying he didn't know where he was going to get 60 bucks, and mom played along the whole time. She called me a few weeks later and said that it worked, he buckles up everytime now and stays that way.

If I destroyed my copies I'll be seeing the captain. i can write him out an incident report and tell him he has to come to the station in a month and i will throw out the "ticket" but that's it. But even if his friends told him it was only an incident report it might not scare him. But if we have to walk across the street to see the Judge, he might get the point

Comment

^^^^ This - damn good Police work.

Original story - ticket fail, facepalm moment, and yeah, a long hard walk to the Cap's office.

-V

Comment

Nicely done badge.....the kid changed his behavior and Mom left feeling better about Police in general....I hate reading about stuff like what was in the OP....when Officers do something like that to every day normal people they end up disliking all cops because of it.

Comment

Doesn't get anymore "chicken*h*t" then that. I've gotten a seatbelt ticket once as a passenger while riding through a parking lot. (just got in the car and was 10 seconds away from putting my seatbelt on before pulling out into the roadway)

Comment

I cant even sit in the car without putting my seatbelt on
                      Gotta catch em allll.........

Comment

Flash Forward to 2021:

in:Ask a cop

"I got a seatbelt ticket when I was 10. Can I still be a cop..."

M-11
                        “All men dream...... But not equally..
                        Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                        but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                        for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

^^^^ haaaaa

Comment

Very cool.
                            The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

The kid would not be getting any cites here in CA....

The parent and/or adult driver on the other hand would be....
                              The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6434 users online. 348 members and 6086 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X