300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny CVSA test

I had a CVSA yesterday, according to the computer I was telling the truth on the two questions that I was told to lie on.

Just for the record, I did pass the test.
    Last edited by dme; 06-03-2011, 02:33 PM.

Not all that uncommon. Since you're directed to lie, there is very little jeopardy attached and therefore stress levels tend to be lower.
    Originally posted by kontemplerande
    Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Last time I took one, there was no deception on the controlled lie questions, but it did show deception when I said my name isn't Tom (which it's not even close to) and that we were in XYZ county (maybe because I live and worked in other counties).
      Originally posted by Ceridwen
      Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

Originally posted by dontknowwhy View Post
        Last time I took one, there was no deception on the controlled lie questions, but it did show deception when I said my name isn't Tom (which it's not even close to) and that we were in XYZ county (maybe because I live and worked in other counties).
        Out of curiosity, why would the examiner ask you if you're name was Tom if it wasn't meant as a control question? It makes me wonder about the examiner's skill.

The CVSA is a good tool but it requires a skilled, careful examiner for it work right. A good examiner, a good pre-test interview, good questions, and good process are all necessary to get accurate results. If the examiner was so poorly prepared that he asked you if you're name was Tom when it wasn't it really makes me wonder about what other mistakes were made.
        Originally posted by kontemplerande
        Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

I believe a good interrogator could use an empty box as a decent "tool" (to get truthful statements), but from what I've seen published about the CVSA's lack of scientific foundation, I'm really surprised agencies use these things. Polygraphs are extremely an problematic tool too, but again (as a prop) I wouldn't totally discount their value.
          "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Would you actually have to care that you're lying, or care about the subject you're discussing, for a polygraph to pick up what bodily changes it picks up? Could a truly sociopathic killer, and/or someone with nothing more to lose (already sentenced to life without parole, or death) have the same level of reaction to "Did you stab the old woman 60 times?" as to "Did you have a hamburger for lunch?"
            "Snort-laughter is the best medicine"
            ----- Mussel Bound

Don't forget to laugh today. The more implausible it seems, the more you need to.

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
              The CVSA is a good tool but it requires a skilled, careful examiner for it work right. A good examiner, a good pre-test interview, good questions, and good process are all necessary to get accurate results. If the examiner was so poorly prepared that he asked you if you're name was Tom when it wasn't it really makes me wonder about what other mistakes were made.
              The CVSA is a crap device that was "invented" by a con man to fool stupid people. I would say that it is based on junk science, but it isn't based on any science.

Don't get me started on the polygraph. I know for a fact that it can be beaten. Easily.
              sigpic
              Don't make me gassy.
              You wouldn't LIKE me when I'm gassy...

If you're offended by something that I've said...it was just your turn.

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
                Out of curiosity, why would the examiner ask you if you're name was Tom if it wasn't meant as a control question? It makes me wonder about the examiner's skill.
                Sorry, I meant it was supposed to be a controlled truth answer. He asks if my name is Tom, I say 'No' and the machine says I'm telling the truth. His lie questions were 'is the wall white' and 'have you ever exceeded the posted speed limit'. I say no to both, it shows deception both. He asks if I'm Tom, I say no, machine says I'm telling the truth, along with 'are we in --- county?', 'yes'.

Oh, and he was surprised that neither my previous or current dept used a cvsa or poly on me. Shoot, my first dept didn't drug test me till I was out of the academy and just about off FTO (I remember because I drove myself there after just getting the keys to my first patrol car). That should tell you about how high speed they were, haha.
                Last edited by dontknowwhy; 06-04-2011, 06:19 AM.
                Originally posted by Ceridwen
                Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

Voodoo science.....both the CVSA and the poly.....

Comment

A poly I did to get hired said I was showing deception when they asked my real name

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3369 users online. 177 members and 3192 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X