Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Independence MO Police shoot concrete alligator

INDEPENDENCE, Mo.—

A report of a wandering alligator in the woods is what lead Independence Police officers to shoot at a concrete lawn ornament over the weekend, according to a statement released by police this week.

Rick Sheridan was working in his garage when he heard gunshots, and said he found officers lined up on the bank, shooting at the large reptile.

The officer fired two rounds, and killed my concrete, ornamental alligator," Sheridan said.

In a statement, Independence Police said a caller reported that his children had seen the alligator along a creek and his son had shown him the creature. Police dispatch contacted the Missouri Conservation Department, who said that if the officer did locate the alligator, to go ahead and put it down.

According to the police statement, when police located the alligator in a wooded area, an officer fired two shots before realizing the animal was really made out of concrete. When police contacted Sheridan, they apologized and Sheridan said he had placed the alligator there to keep kids off his property. The officers advised Sheridan to use "No Trespassing" signs instead.

On Wednesday evening, Sheridan told FOX 4 News that he did not put the fake gator there to scare kids, but that he did not want kids and others tresspassing on his property, which he says has been a problem. He also tells FOX 4 that he has repeatedly posted "No Tresspassing" signs, but that they were taken down by vandals.

Sheridan also says with a laugh that the incident has given him some noteriety around town.
    "I walked into a hardware store, and two gals said 'Look there, that's the alligator guy'," said Sheridan

http://www.fox4kc.com/news/wdaf-inde...,7119023.story

I hope his coworkers put that alligator in the locker room as a daily reminder of his awesomeness. Shooting at alligators isn't the brightest thing either unless you know exactly where to shoot..

Sounds like the homeowner had a great idea because it sure scared the kids off his property.

Comment

Always check your target! I almost had a similar situation happen to me one time. I was visiting my mother and she had, unbeknownst to me, added a new decoration recently:

Comment

RIP, ornamental alligator.

Comment

How much will they charge to have it stuffed and mounted.
          Stupid has no color or race, everyone can participate.

Comment

//APPROVES

SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
            SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

^^ that show cracks me up

Comment

I almost shot a manequin several years ago on a building search.
                Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.

We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

Comment

Almost shot a coworker while doing a building search on a vacant unsecure building. My partner and I went there to check it per our contract with the property owner. Instead of putting it out over the radio that we were there I called our dispatch center to make sure no one else was there and to let them know we were there. We get through the building which literally looks like something out of a resident evil movie (building had been pretty much destroyed by vandals and copper theives) when I hear an entry door on the other hallway open and start hearing foot steps and see a flashlight beam moving around. I pull my partner into one of the offices and we wait as the foot steps are coming our way. I set up in the door way so as to have cover but still see down the hallway. I'm waiting with my gun pointed down the hall to start ordering the intruder down at gun point when they come into the hall we were in. As a fairly large figure emerges from around the corner I turn my flashlight on and start shouting 'get on the ground' when I realize it's one of my co-workers who also had his gun out!!!! People could hear us yelling cuss words and what not from blocks away I'm sure. We all walk outside to calm down, come down from the adrenaline high and I asked why he was there, apparently he was driving by and noticed flashlights shining through the windows. He also called dispatch over the phone but the dispatcher I told earlier that I was there had gone on break so he had no idea we where inside. Needless to say we all decided that we would park in the same parking lot across the street anytime we were going to be in the buildings so that any of us who saw a light or movement in the buildings could find our cars in the lot and know we were probably inside.
                  Last edited by chad7613; 06-03-2011, 01:50 AM.
                  "I'm sorry, did you see my care face? Because I'm pretty sure I didn't show it to you becuase I DON'T care. Have a nice day. "

Comment

Originally posted by Jiu-Jitsu Cop View Post
                    I almost shot a manequin several years ago on a building search.
                    Back in the late 70s, two local Campus Cops were searching the Admin Building on a prowler call.......and shot the ear off the life size Abe Lincoln statue.......

Abe still bares the battle scar......

Comment

2 shots to realize that it was fake?!?! Did the concrete dust and flying pieces of concrete not tip him off after the first shot? Or did he miss with the first shot...

Reminds me of when I worked at one of the local parks my first summer out of high school - I kept hearing gun shots at the end of the night (it was like 10:45 - park had been closed for hours) - the ranger, who was an old school retired Detroit cop and carried a 6 shot revolver with all of the rounds separately on his belt (no speed loader for him), comes walking in with ALL of his ammo missing (had to have been like 20 rounds) - he said he was shooting at the family of skunks that lived under the boardwalk...I asked him how many he hit - he just looked at me and said "None...they're fast." I was VERY scared after that! LoL
                      Originally posted by RSGSRT
                      We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                      Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Originally posted by Aerohead View Post
                        2 shots to realize that it was fake?!?! Did the concrete dust and flying pieces of concrete not tip him off after the first shot? Or did he miss with the first shot...
                        Two words:
                        Double Tap
                        (Thats how we roll in the South)
                        SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
                        SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

Originally posted by swat_op506 View Post
                          Two words:
                          Double Tap
                          (Thats how we roll in the South)
                          Ahh, gotcha!
                          Originally posted by RSGSRT
                          We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                          Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Hey, at least they hit it.
                            "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Orwell

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3939 users online. 251 members and 3688 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X