300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilots

Just curious if there were any other aviators on the forum, either private pilots or flying for your agencies.

I've been flying for about four years now and have just obtained my instrument rating. I've got about 200 hours and got my private license (ASEL) back in 99.

Anyone else out there?

I have a private license. I'm building a Pulsar XP in my spare time. I also fly with Angelflight. When my K9 retires, I want to fly for my agency. (4 years) I've been flying since I was aobut 10. My dad is the operations manager for an FBO. If I could count all my hours, I'd have around 1000. When I went for my checkride, the D.E was my fathers good friend that has known me since I was 10. It was a great feeling to have him give me my ticket. (Navy Captain,Fighter Jock in WWII, and Korea)
    As my friend says: All Narc, No Bite

Comment

My husband is a retired fighter pilot who was one of the first to fly the Starfighter F104 A and flew in Vietnam. We owned an air taxi service for a number of years...company planes were Cessna 150, Cessna 172 and our private plane, a Piper Arrow.
      Illegitimus non carborundus!

Comment

I don't want to paint pilots with a broad brush but in our county we are so close to O'Hare which is the big base for United. We have several thousand commerical pilots living here. I have heard maybe close to seven or eight thousand. 75% are jerks. They think they are special and don't need to play by the rules. Since they only work 80 hours a month and earn about $200,000, and have a life style that most are envious of they think everyone else is crap. They kind of remind me of cocky LAWYERS.

We had a pilot show up in court, in full Capt uniform to fight a speeding ticket. His arguement was based upon the fact that he flies a multi milion dollar 747 aircraft loaded with people at high speeds so he is capable of handling it. RIGHT.

I have some airline friends and they even tell me some of their fellow pilots think they are above the law.

------------------
        "We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way." General George S. Patton
        "The view only changes for the lead dog." ~ Sergeant Preston of The Yukon ~

Comment

Originally posted by Guard Dog:
          I have heard maybe close to seven or eight thousand. 75% are jerks. They think they are special and don't need to play by the rules. Since they only work 80 hours a month and earn about $200,000, and have a life style that most are envious of they think everyone else is crap.
          I won't disagree with you that major airline pilots can be jerks (especially to pilots lower than them on the career ladder), but that attitude isn't reflective of the general pilot (both private and commercial) population. Since attaining a position as a 747 Captain is considered the top of the ladder in aviation, some of those guys (but not all) do think they're better than everyone else (especially young flight instructors making $18K a year trying to build hours so they can one day fly a 747).

As to the "work 80 hours a month" statement, that's very far from the truth. It's true that pilots for a Part 121 airline (major, regional, commuter) may only FLY 80 hours a month, but when you consider ground and prep time (that's not even counting their time away from home), they work the same hours as someone who would work a 40 hour week, if not more. Just think of when you fly commercially. How much time do the planes spend loading or waiting at the gate? None of that time counts towards the pilot's 80 hours, nor does the time they spend planning the flight (looking at weather data, airman advisories, special procedures, programming the navigation computers, etc.)

[This message has been edited by PatrickM98 (edited 06-09-2001).]

Comment

I am working on being a pilot. After a lifetime of being fascinated by flying, I finally started lessons two weeks ago. I now have a whopping 2.9 hours. I plan to have my private ticket by October.

Comment

Can someone tell me how to get my Private Pilot's license? I'm in the Houston area.

Kyle, KD5HQD

Comment

Kyle,

Just open up the yellow pages, and call some of the folks listed under flight schools. You should set up a couple of appointments with several schools to try and compare them. I would suggest going to a Part 141 or 142 certified school, as there is a set curriculum and you can get college credit for your instruction process. Normally it takes about 50 hours and around $3000 (could be a little more or less, depending on what you fly and what kind of equipment you buy) to get a private license. An internet site that has many resources for aspiring pilots is www.beapilot.com , it even has a flight school locator so you can find schools in your area. Good luck.

Comment

PATRICKM98 SAID None of that time counts towards pilot's 80 hours, nor does the time they spend planning the flight (looking at weather data, airman advisories, special procedures, programming the navigation computers, etc.

The have FAR too much time on their hands. As I said, I have several friends that are pilots for American, Delta, United , the big ones. Just because that plane is sitting doesn't mean they are. They may come in on one plane...go to another gate and fly out on another plane. Sure they do the pre flight but they are basically off and home half the month. When they fly, they fly long hours.

I'd love to be a private pilot...and seeing the lifestyle of the commercial pilots I know , I'd love to be a commercial pilot for United ,Delta or American. My friends wife and kids fly to Reno, Vegas, Hawaii and its almost free. When their son was stationed in Hawaii as a NAVY P3 pilot, they flew out there almost every other month to see him. The perks are great.

[This message has been edited by Guard Dog (edited 06-09-2001).]
                  "The view only changes for the lead dog." ~ Sergeant Preston of The Yukon ~

Comment

What's the difference between a recreational license and private license??

Kyle, KD5HQD

Comment

Originally posted by kd5hqd:
                      What's the difference between a recreational license and private license??
                      The recreational license takes less hours/money to earn, but there are limitations put on it. IIRC, you can only carry one passenger, must only fly within 50 miles of your airport, can't fly a high performance airplane, and can't fly at night. There may be other limitations, but those are the major ones I can remember.

Comment

Commercial helicopter with instrument rating. About 3500 hours total time. 1100 in the Coast Guard HH-3F (named the Pelican, hence PelicanDriver), the rest split between Bell B-3, L-4 and Hughes 500.

When I flew for the department, I had a 52 mile commute. When they moved the bird to an airport 85 miles away, I didn't follow it.
                        Paul

Comment

Not a pilot, but I took my military training and was an avionics tech in GA before I got into LE. Some of the best people I've met were corporate drivers and owner/operators. So were some of the....well, never mind...you've met them, too!
                          Good luck and stay safe up there.

------------------
                          God, I love my job!-Porthos
                          "It is better to avoid than to fight, better to deter than to kill. But.....it is better to kill than to die, or watch an innocent slaughtered, because you didn't have the wherewithal to defend them." - M. A.

"We should bear in mind that, in general, it is the object of our newspapers rather to create a sensation-to make a point-than to further the cause of truth."-Edgar Allan Poe(1809-1849)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5641 users online. 347 members and 5294 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X