Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same in Georgia, plus there are restrictions on the number of slick tops an Agency can operate too. If I see any unmarked vehicle performing a traffic stop, I'm going to investigate...
    I know of a few agencies that do not follow the law regarding the number of slick tops. The law is there, but no penalties for breaking it. Kinda weird..

You should never pull over for an unmarked vehicle in GA. If unmarked cars are pulling you over around here.. you're probably going to be boxed in and dragged out at gun point by several officers.

We had an impersonator making traffic stops just outside my old neighborhood. Morons were pulling over for a single flashing red light...
    Yeah there's a law against it but there's no penalty for it. Go figure. According to OCGA, blue lights are for LE and red is for fire / EMS. Yet some LE departments have red and blue.

However it's a traffic infraction for everybody else.
    Impersonation though is a felony if I remember correctly.
    Last edited by westside popo; 05-31-2011, 11:19 PM.

Comment

This happened in Chicago when a 14-year-old boy named Vincent Richardson donned police garb and walked into the Third District precinct during morning roll call in January 2009. Officers handed him a radio and told him to ride along with a female officer. The teenager even helped make an arrest.

“After four or five hours, she asks, ‘Who is this guy?’ ” recalled Jody P. Weis, who was the Chicago police superintendent at the time. “He’s in a uniform, he has a goofy badge, he doesn’t have a weapon and he’s a high school kid. It was so embarrassing.”

ROTFLMAO!

Comment

One of the issues here is that possession isn't illegal, but the actual usage is. We see people outfitting their cars with all the bells and whistles and normally they tell us "oh it's for car show and I only use them on parking lots" or some BS.

The easiest answer would be to require and agency ID and the stuff delivered to an agency address, and to increase the penalty for fakes.

Comment

Originally posted by careerchange#2 View Post
          One of the issues here is that possession isn't illegal, but the actual usage is. We see people outfitting their cars with all the bells and whistles and normally they tell us "oh it's for car show and I only use them on parking lots" or some BS.

The easiest answer would be to require and agency ID and the stuff delivered to an agency address, and to increase the penalty for fakes.
          The prohibited color lenses, or bulbs...fit in a common light bar don't they ? So for instance a light bar used legally by a volunteer fireman (with red bulbs/lenses), could become a prohibited use lighbar by just changing a few parts ?

Bill
          Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

Originally posted by willbird View Post
            The prohibited color lenses, or bulbs...fit in a common light bar don't they ? So for instance a light bar used legally by a volunteer fireman (with red bulbs/lenses), could become a prohibited use lighbar by just changing a few parts ?

Bill
            Yeah but.... Most light bars will be noticeable when they change the lenses and if it's a LED system I suspect it would be expensive and difficult to do it.

Easy on the show cars.... I've seen some old cars fixed up real nice, like old police cars around here. I enjoy seeing them at the car shows and would hate it if they had to change out the gumball on the top. One car looks similar to the one from the Andy Griffith show. I seen another one with an old radar unit and it was really HUGE in comparison to units of today.

Another thing for GA some may not know.... If you have an "Antique" license plate you can get blue colored lights for your turn signals. Apparently it was put in there for car show vehicles with the "Antique" specialty license plate.

FWIW...

GA POVs with red lights and sirens are required to have a DOT sticker on the vehicle. Blue (emergency) lights are restricted government vehicles with the exception of the county Sheriff's POV with some restrictions. Now I know some volunteers around here that have red lights in their POVs with no DOT stickers. They claim you don't need the DOT permit if you only use them for stationary use. However that's not I how I read the law.

FL volunteer FFs can only have 2 red lights and NO siren in their POVs by law. If they do have the red lights they should also have a permit issued by their fire chief. The permits may vary from department to department. The one I had, when I was in FL, was a small piece of paper signed by the chief and quoted the applicable statute. I would bet there are some legit ones running around with a hand written and signed permit though. That's what I expected when I asked for a permit from the fire chief at the time.
            Last edited by westside popo; 06-01-2011, 03:17 PM.

Comment

The security complications that could arise out of this "silly prank", especially when coordinated and blended with already-organized groups, is frankly seriously stomach-churning. Shadow government, anyone?

Do we have to wait until the situation explodes to press our lawmakers to increase the severity of punishment for this type of crime?

Comment

Originally posted by westside popo View Post
                Yeah there's a law against it but there's no penalty for it. Go figure. According to OCGA, blue lights are for LE and red is for fire / EMS. Yet some LE departments have red and blue.

However it's a traffic infraction for everybody else.
                Impersonation though is a felony if I remember correctly.
                Yea.. cough that law up to the old speed trap laws because of governor maddox and ludowici.

I prefer the red/blue combo.. Red is way more visible during the day than blue.

And impersonating an officer is a felony here. All you have to do is claim to be a cop and it's a felony. I believe some states require you to actually try to use the authority for it to count.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4768 users online. 258 members and 4510 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X