300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost got myself arrested today...

...but thank God the responding officer saw things my way and used a little discretion. Here is how it started.

My neighbor up the street(paved driveway really) has teenage sons who are notorious for speeding up and down our road/driveway. Its a single lane and paved, suitable for 25 mph tops(more like 20-15). This kids come blasting down the road going what seems to me, highway speed. Really irratates me but I held my tongue and never said anything.

Today I lost it though, because this time, its like the kid floored it and was going like drag-racing speed, had to be over 60 mph. So I do the correct thing at first, call and report a reckless driver. The responding officer drives up to their gate, but its closed so he says there is nothing he can do. I thought he could have at least beeped the horn/ gotten out of the car and called out, but whatever, its only a relatively minor thing I guess.

In my frustration, I left a note on the gate that said in bold letters "DON'T SPEED...NEXT TIME NO NOTE". So later in the day the kids mom comes down. I was like maybe she is here to talk about it and let her kids know whats up. I thought wrong. She felt the letter was threatening and said she would call the cops if I left another one. (Wonderful parenting skills on her part) I say go right ahead and slam the door.

I was so angry, I came out a moment later and said what could be construed as a terroristic threat...I said "You can tell your son that if he ever come speeding down the driveway like he was...I'll put a rock through his windshield!"

So mom of the year calls the cops and they responded quick this time, must have been a 911. I wait for a bit at my house and after the responding officer(different one this time) pulled into my driveway and got out of the car. So I am thinking "great, hands behind the back time...me and my temper". Actually she was pretty understanding. Especially considering that the mom had recorded the entire conversation. The officer said she had told her "well you kind of provoked him and weren't very apologetic" and left it at that. Apparently neither her or the mom realized that a police report had been made earlier.(thats the whole reason I left the note, because the original officer was unable to make contact).

Basically, the second officer gave me my neighbors first and last name, and encouraged my to report anymore violations...now they have on file who exactly to contact, information I didn't have before!

Next time skip the threats:

Federal Signal Stinger Spike Systems
    http://www.botachtactical.com/stspsy.html

Just kidding

Comment

Sounds like a private road not a public road, do local police even have any means to control speed on private property?

Comment

You could always invest in one of these. Might be a bit expensive though.

Everybody counts or no one counts.
        -Harry Bosch

Some of you may remember that in my early days I was sort of a bleeding heart liberal. Then I became a man and put away childish things.
        -Ronald Reagan

Comment

If it's a private road, in California there is nothing that law enforcement can do about speeds. With just a few exceptions like DUI, most of the Vehicle Code does not apply on private property.
          Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

What would the "next time no note" action be?
            "There's only two kinds of people who walk slow in this city... Us and them."

Glock 26
            Glock 19
            HK 45

Comment

Sounds like your 16 and grew-up in the hood by the way you handled it.
              Ignore List : Bearcat357, Blackavar

Comment

Originally posted by Buffaloboy View Post
                Sounds like your 16 and grew-up in the hood by the way you handled it.
                By what? Calling to report reckless driving? Leaving a note saying not to speed and endanger other peoples lives? I tried to do the right thing at first, I thought. I only snapped when the mom basically admitted no wrongdoing from her son.

I guess you are able to remain calm when some jerk is endangering live like that. Like I said, it wasn't a little bit fast. It was unbelievably, outrageously fast. Please tell me how you would have handled it. I am at wits end.

That wasn't too ghetto. The same thing happened to my older brother when he was driving all crazy in his youth. Only thing, it wasn't a note with a implied threat of violence...it was some p.o.'ed Hawaiians... busted faces(they just started beating the hell out of everyone in our group, guilt by association I guess)...busted windshields. I did the same thing, except it was an enraged Vietnam vet who was inches away from going flash back style on my ***. His wife was holding him back, begging him not to hurt me. I think we both deserved what we got.

Originally posted by madcat816 View Post
                What would the "next time no note" action be?
                Why...next time I would be reporting it to the police What else could I mean by it. Seriously I hoped they just got the message so there would be no "next time".

Anyway, told the officer...don't want no trouble. Tell the kids don't drive like a maniac and we won't have a problem.

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
                If it's a private road, in California there is nothing that law enforcement can do about speeds. With just a few exceptions like DUI, most of the Vehicle Code does not apply on private property.
                Thats an interesting point. What to other driving offenses don't count, like hit and run, vehicular manslaughter...would it just be a different charge? I am not sure what the status of the road is exactly. It has the same name as the county road in the neighboring subdivision, its just sort of chopped by a property into its own free standing section.
                Last edited by bigislander72; 05-29-2011, 12:10 PM.

Comment

If you are in a gated community......................take it up with your home owners association.

Private property....................................... civil matter in most cases.
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                    If you are in a gated community......................take it up with your home owners association.

Private property....................................... civil matter in most cases.
                    +1, but you could take it up a notch (even in CA). If your CC&Rs prohibit such conduct, you can file for a restraining order. Failing to obey the court order can lead to sanctions that are more serious than "fines" levied by your HOA. People can be arrested in some states for violating a (civil) court order.

I went this route once with a guy that just wouldn't listen when I asked him politely to refrain from similar activity. The cost of hiring an attorney, filing the case, serving the violator with a subpoena and spending a couple of hours in court was worth every penny. The Adam Henry knew I was serious and the problem stopped immediately.
                    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

I am not even sure we have a HOA. As a civil matter, can an individual sue for such greivances?

Originally posted by Fëanor View Post
                      Next time skip the threats:

Federal Signal Stinger Spike Systems
                      http://www.botachtactical.com/stspsy.html

Just kidding
                      Sometimes I wish there was a system in place...exceed the speed limit by xxx, those spikes pop up from the road. Seriously though, I am thinking about getting one of those roll-away speed bumps, putting out w/o permission and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by bigislander72 View Post
                        Thats an interesting point. What to other driving offenses don't count, like hit and run, vehicular manslaughter...would it just be a different charge? I am not sure what the status of the road is exactly. It has the same name as the county road in the neighboring subdivision, its just sort of chopped by a property into its own free standing section.
                        Criminal matters would still be within police jurisdiction. For example, around here an attended hit and run or vehicular homicide would be crimes and we'd still have jurisdiction. Speeding however is only a forfeiture offense and can only be committed on official roadways or other roads held open for public use. Since you've got a gate, it would not be considered open to public use.
                        Originally posted by kontemplerande
                        Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
                          Since you've got a gate, it would not be considered open to public use.
                          There is no gate. Its accessable from the highway. The gate I was referring to was the neighbors own private gate. We have a street address as well(i.e. our address street name is not the highway's)
                          Last edited by bigislander72; 05-29-2011, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigislander72 View Post
                            By what? Calling to report reckless driving? Leaving a note saying not to speed and endanger other peoples lives? I tried to do the right thing at first, I thought. I only snapped when the mom basically admitted no wrongdoing from her son. No you didn't you and i quote you "In my frustration, I left a note on the gate that said in bold letters "DON'T SPEED...NEXT TIME NO NOTE"

I guess you are able to remain calm when some jerk is endangering live like that. Like I said, it wasn't a little bit fast. It was unbelievably, outrageously fast. Please tell me how you would have handled it. I am at wits end. Professionally and maturely, as an adult.

That wasn't too ghetto. The same thing happened to my older brother when he was driving all crazy in his youth. Only thing, it wasn't a note with a implied threat of violence you just proved my post about your ghetto childlike threat...it was some p.o.'ed Hawaiians... busted faces(they just started beating the hell out of everyone in our group, guilt by association I guess)...busted windshields. I did the same thing, except it was an enraged Vietnam vet who was inches away from going flash back style on my ***. His wife was holding him back, begging him not to hurt me. I think we both deserved what we got. WOW!

Why...next time I would be reporting it to the police What else could I mean by it. I'll quote you again "Only thing, it wasn't a note with a implied threat of violence" Seriously I hoped they just got the message so there would be no "next time". read your previous paragraph you said "In my frustration, I left a note on the gate that said in bold letters "DON'T SPEED...NEXT TIME NO NOTE"

Anyway, told the officer...don't want no trouble. Tell the kids don't drive like a maniac and we won't have a problem.
                            You threatened them and handled the whole situation poorly.
                            Last edited by Buffaloboy; 05-29-2011, 12:21 PM.
                            Ignore List : Bearcat357, Blackavar

Comment

Originally posted by pulicords View Post
                              I went this route once with a guy that just wouldn't listen when I asked him politely to refrain from similar activity. The cost of hiring an attorney, filing the case, serving the violator with a subpoena and spending a couple of hours in court was worth every penny. The Adam Henry knew I was serious and the problem stopped immediately.
                              Please elaborate, whether here on the forum or in a PM. Thanks
                              Last edited by bigislander72; 05-29-2011, 12:24 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3345 users online. 220 members and 3125 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X