300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gates Pushes for Military Pay Cuts

Sounds familiar doesn't it? Rather than setting national priorities and eliminating unnecessary federal agencies and programs, Defense Secretary Robert Gates is suggesting that those serving in our volunteer military should endure pay and benefit cuts. Is this in our national interest? Will this lead to more experienced officers/enlisted personnel leaving the service and decreased recruitment? What's more important, using tax dollars to pay for "systems" (equipment made by private industry) that are sold to the government or using them to compensate people that serve in harm's way???

I wonder what defense contractor Mr. Gates plans on working for upon his retirement and what product(s) they sell to the government? No matter, I'm sure the Wall Street Journal and their readers strongly support Gates' suggestions.

"Defense Secretary Robert Gates said Tuesday that cuts to the nation's defense budget will force lawmakers to consider reducing military pay and benefits, raising an issue that could prove politically sensitive in a time of war, The Wall Street Journal reprots.

The outgoing Pentagon chief said the government would have to "re-examine military compensation," consider altering the retirement system to bring down costs, and address spiraling health-care costs, WSJ said."

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfro...2011/05/25/id/397618
    Last edited by pulicords; 05-29-2011, 07:25 AM.
    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

This is brilliant. Lets just take money from people who don't make much to begin with, and live a life that 99.9% of Americans couldn't even imagine. I know guys who have lost lives and limbs in the defense of this country, all for minimum wage. Then theirs the lucky ones who did their jobs, came back healthy, or so they thought, only to find out that the war we thought we left in desert is still alive inside us; in the form of PTSD, TBI, or cancers caused by burn pits and chem/bio weapons....and we can't get the DOD or VA to acknowledge the fact that its happening. And folks, thats just the stuff that makes the news. Ask your average American to stay late at work or come in a little early, or god forbid work a holiday without time and a half or even double time pay, and see what their reaction is. Then ask a soldier/sailor/airman or marine about missing the births of all of his children, spending the last 2 or 3 Christmas's in the desert or missing a loved ones funeral because your unit was still deployed and couldn't let you go and see the reaction. They will probably tell you how it sucked, but "it is what it is". No overtime, no whining.

My highest paid year in the Marine Corps, as a sergeant with over 6 years of honorable service, working 60 hrs a week, with a wife and kid, living in San Diego, I made under $35k.

Maybe Gates should take a pay cut, and a benefits cut, and a cut to his retirement. Maybe Gates should strap on a flak and kevlar, pick up a weapon and stand a post in Al Anbar or Kunar and then say the military should get a pay cut. Or better yet, maybe his boss Obama should do the same.

I understand that times are tough, but there are plenty of other ways to save a dollar.
    Last edited by reils49; 05-29-2011, 08:09 AM.
    I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post
      I understand that times are tough, but there are plenty of other ways to save a dollar.
      Such as the 2 BILLION Dollar loan to Egypt...?

Comment

The Democrat answer to everything: "Listen, it's tough times. EVERYONE needs to make sacrifices. Us too? We're not talking about us, don't try and change the subject?"

The problem is the non-military union jobs. They don't want to give up one dime, and they aren't obligated to do much of anything they don't really want. So, it's gotta be cut from military, which has to follow orders and is not allowed to protest anything.
        Last edited by GangGreen712; 05-29-2011, 08:54 AM.
        "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
        -Chris Rock

Comment

Want to read some scary facts of how our government is wasting money?

How Arabic/Muslim Nations voted in the United Nations when the US made a proposal:

Below are the actual voting records of various Arabic/Islamic States which are recorded in both the US State Department and United Nations records:

Kuwait votes against the United States 67% of the time.

Qatar votes against the United States 67% of the time.

Morocco votes against the United States 70% of the time.

United Arab Emirates votes against the U.S. 70% of the time.

Jordan votes against the United States 71% of the time.

Tunisia votes against the United States 71% of the time.

Saudi Arabia votes against the United States 73% of the time.

Yemen votes against the United States 74% of the time.

Algeria votes against the United States 74% of the time.

Oman votes against the United States 74% of the time.

Sudan votes against the United States 75% of the time.

Pakistan votes against the United States 75% of the time.

Libya votes against the United States 76% of the time.

Egypt votes against the United States 79% of the time.

Lebanon votes against the United States 80% of the time.

India votes against the United States 81% of the time.

Syria votes against the United States 84% of the time.

Mauritania votes against the United States 87% of the time.

U S Foreign Aid to those that hate us:

Egypt, for example, after voting 79% of the time against the United States, still receives $2 billion annually in US Foreign Aid.

Jordan votes 71% against the United States and receives $192,814,000 annually in US Foreign Aid.

Pakistan votes 75% against the United State and receives $6,721,000 annually in US Foreign Aid.

India votes 81% against the United State and receives $143,699,000 annually.
          Pennsylvania ACT 120 Police Academy

Comment

Oh come on - what's the big deal? We all know soldiers are grossly over-compensated in both pay and benefits to run around and play with the finest equipment and supplies money can buy that never break down - it's not like their jobs are dangerous or anything - they should be honored just to be a member of the armed forces and not worry about being paid and such luxuries like that...

Edited to add: That was all sarcasm, in case anyone was wondering...
            Last edited by Aerohead; 05-29-2011, 09:12 AM.
            Originally posted by RSGSRT
            We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
            Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Originally posted by GangGreen712 View Post
              The Democrat answer to everything: "Listen, it's tough times. EVERYONE needs to make sacrifices. Us too? We're not talking about us, don't try and change the subject?"
              Not just Democrats - read about Snyder and the Republicans in Michigan lately?!?! It's crossing party lines...apparently, it's the new political rally-cry...
              Originally posted by RSGSRT
              We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
              Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Tell ya what....force the elected morons to endure our pay (military) for a year, along with TriCare (our "medical"). Let's see how long they can live on that. Yeah, Soldiers will suck it up and continue defending the United States from enemies, both foreign and domestic. That's what we do. But our ranks will get mighty thin, really fast.
                sigpic
                Originally posted by Smurfette
                Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
                Originally posted by DAL
                You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

Originally posted by FJDave View Post
                  Yeah, Soldiers will suck it up and continue defending the United States from enemies, both foreign and domestic. That's what we do. But our ranks will get mighty thin, really fast.
                  For how long and who is going to volunteer to replace them? The quality and professionalism of those who serve in our armed forces isn't entirely determined by what pay and benefits the nation offers them, but it's impossible to deny that those things do effect what type of people that enlist and remain in service.

Those attacking the "perks" (their words) enjoyed by our volunteers are making exactly the same type of attacks against public safety employees. How long will it take before we need to reinstate the draft to properly fill the ranks of the military? How long will it take for police, firefighters, paramedics and corrections positions to be filled with minimum wage workers?

If you think it can't happen here, I'd suggest that you travel to Central or South America and see what kinds of military and public safety employees they have to depend upon. Is this where our country is heading?
                  "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Originally posted by FJDave View Post
                    Tell ya what....force the elected morons to endure our pay (military) for a year, along with TriCare (our "medical").
                    That would be interesting. I bet more then 50% would quit and go back to there old jobs.

Comment

How about we suggest that we reduce our politicians and their staff pay by 50% and remove their retirement system?

How about we tax up to 80% of the income of people who either are supporting or have voted for politicians who supports on entitlement programs?

I'm sorry, but I have friends who are serving in our military and many of them missed out on witnessing birth of their first borns.
                      I'd say give them more benefits and better pay.

Mr. Gates, you sir are one big piece of you fill in the blank.

Comment

So when is everyone going to actually stand up and say that he needs to stfu and take a paycut himself?
                        Been chatting to a girl online. She's funny, sexy and flirty. Now she tells me she is an undercover cop! How cool is that at her age!?

Comment

As if they don't already make ***** for pay...

Comment

Originally posted by stbspd View Post
                            As if they don't already make ***** for pay...
                            Exactly. 80% of the enlisted soldiers I know have a real hard time just paying for their bills.
                            Maybe we should look at cutting the pay of our politicians first.

This is disgusting!

Comment

Originally posted by pulicords View Post
                              For how long and who is going to volunteer to replace them? The quality and professionalism of those who serve in our armed forces isn't entirely determined by what pay and benefits the nation offers them, but it's impossible to deny that those things do effect what type of people that enlist and remain in service.

Those attacking the "perks" (their words) enjoyed by our volunteers are making exactly the same type of attacks against public safety employees. How long will it take before we need to reinstate the draft to properly fill the ranks of the military? How long will it take for police, firefighters, paramedics and corrections positions to be filled with minimum wage workers?

If you think it can't happen here, I'd suggest that you travel to Central or South America and see what kinds of military and public safety employees they have to depend upon. Is this where our country is heading?
                              Germany is starting to see the benefits of an all volunteer force and they are ending conscription soon if it has not ended already, the economy is kinda benefiting the military because my recruiter said if it weren't for the rough times his station would probably have a hard time meeting their recruitment goals.

*EDIT*--video

Last edited by MD11pilot; 05-30-2011, 02:07 AM.
                              Life is what you make of it

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3049 users online. 184 members and 2865 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X