• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TX Sergeant Ambushed, Gunned Down at Red Light

Sergeant Kenneth Gary Vann
    Bexar County Sheriff's Office, Texas

End of Watch: Saturday, May 28, 2011

Sergeant Kenneth Vann was shot and killed in an ambush while stopped at a red light on Rigsby Avenue at 2:12 am.

He was responding to a non-emergency call and had stopped for a red light at the intersection of Rigsby Avenue and SE Loop 410. A car pulled up next to his patrol car on the passenger side and the occupant(s) immediately opened fire with no warning. Sergeant Vann was struck by multiple shots. His patrol car rolled through the intersection and was stopped by crash barriers. He succumbed to his wounds before arriving at a local hospital.

The other vehicle fled the scene and the suspect(s) remain at large.

Sergeant Vann had served with the Bexar County Sheriff's Office for over 24 years.

Biographical Info

Tour of Duty: 24 years, 6 months

Badge Number: Not available

Incident Details

Cause of Death: Gunfire

Date of Incident: May 28, 2011

Weapon Used: Gun; Unknown type

Suspect Info: At large

Agency Contact Information

Bexar County Sheriff's Office
    200 North Comal
    San Antonio, TX 78207

Phone: (210) 335-6000

REST IN PEACE SERGEANT VANN.
    Everybody counts or no one counts.
    -Harry Bosch

Some of you may remember that in my early days I was sort of a bleeding heart liberal. Then I became a man and put away childish things.
    -Ronald Reagan

RIP Sgt. Vann

May your senseless killers be found and brought to justice swiftly.

Comment

RIP

Comment

absolutely horrible
        "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

Comment

Sooooooooooooooooooooo. When are we going to be able to kill them first?

R.I.P. Sgt.

Comment

Originally posted by redsox2010 View Post
            Sergeant Kenneth Gary Vann
            Bexar County Sheriff's Office, Texas

End of Watch: Saturday, May 28, 2011

Sergeant Kenneth Vann was shot and killed in an ambush while stopped at a red light on Rigsby Avenue at 2:12 am.

He was responding to a non-emergency call and had stopped for a red light at the intersection of Rigsby Avenue and SE Loop 410. A car pulled up next to his patrol car on the passenger side and the occupant(s) immediately opened fire with no warning. Sergeant Vann was struck by multiple shots. His patrol car rolled through the intersection and was stopped by crash barriers. He succumbed to his wounds before arriving at a local hospital.
            Horrible and disgusting. RIP Sgt. I hope his killers are brought to justice by means of lead poisoning.
            - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

And people wonder why we are so hypervigilant and get upset when we try to control them on scene saying, "relax man Its not like I'm going to shoot you", or come on man relax I'm not a criminal", yeah like we know you.

This is terrible, I pray for his family and friends.

Edited to add:
              This is not far from the Border with Laredo (short drive south). This sounds like a gang hit either from drugs or street gangs. Hey Obama, how about that Moat with the Alligators in it now???!!!!
              Last edited by creolecop; 05-28-2011, 04:26 PM.
              Ignored: Towncop, Pulicords, TacoMac, Ten08

Comment

RIP Sarge! May the Lord care for and provide comfort for your family, friends and fellow officers.

Additional article:

BEXAR, TX
                Last edited by SgtCHP; 05-28-2011, 05:05 PM.
                Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by WillBrink View Post
                  Horrible and disgusting. RIP Sgt. I hope his killers are brought to justice by means of lead poisoning.
                  "Chronic" lead poisoning.

I don't much care about marksmanship or grouping just so everyone gets a shot at them.
                  Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

That is disgusting. This brings out the violence in me, and makes me want those responsible DEAD.

I am sad to feel that way, but that's how it is. The world would be better off without them. Why should they go home tonight to their loved ones, having senselessly deprived others of theirs?

I hope the murderers are caught and held responsible.
                    We do not all come to religion over the wandering years,
                    but sooner or later we all get to meet God. -- Edward Conlon

Comment

So sad, hopefully this will help some people realize that you guys have a very dangerous job even when just sitting at a red light. RIP, many prayers on the way.
                      "I'm sorry, did you see my care face? Because I'm pretty sure I didn't show it to you becuase I DON'T care. Have a nice day. "

Comment

This sounds like a assassination of a police officer....
                        Retired LASD

Comment

I wish I had more to offer than just prayers for Sergeant Kenneth Gary Vann, his family and his department. I only hope that the surveillance cameras from two nearby convenience stores help solve this crime.
                          Last edited by BAinCJ; 05-28-2011, 06:15 PM.
                          Living it one day at a time.

Comment

Absolutely disgusting. I hope they find those two animals and bring them to justice.

Comment

RIP.

Being as this was Texas, whether by lead or needle, the scumbags who did this are going to be dead soon.
                              "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
                              -Chris Rock

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2603 users online. 132 members and 2471 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X