300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body Armor De oderizers

I just got home from work, took my vest off, layed it over the back of the couch so it could dry out. After a few minutes I started wondering what that god awful smell was. Then I realized it was my vest. Does anyone know of some body armor deoderizers that aren't expensive and are safe to use on the vest regularly? I want to use Febreeze but I'm not sure if it is safe for the material. I know that there is another product called 'Vest Guard' that I've used in the past but it is not the cheapest thing in the world and none of the uniform shops near my house carry it. Any advice would be much appreciated.
    "I'm sorry, did you see my care face? Because I'm pretty sure I didn't show it to you becuase I DON'T care. Have a nice day. "

i follow the cleaning instructions on my kevlar and wash my carriers in the laundry....

Comment

Originally posted by amw315 View Post
      i follow the cleaning instructions on my kevlar and wash my carriers in the laundry....
      Yeah, I wash my carriers and clean the actual vest as the instructions say but I don't want to have to do that every night. It's getting hot here and I'm outside almost my entire shift. I was just looking for anything that might actually help keep the smell down between cleanings.... and no AXE doesn't work. Yeah you smell all nice when you first put it on but AXE wears off after a short while.
      "I'm sorry, did you see my care face? Because I'm pretty sure I didn't show it to you becuase I DON'T care. Have a nice day. "

Comment

In addition to regular laundering of the carrier... Febreze Sport. It's intended for hockey/football/etc pads. 7 or 8 sprays per side. You're not soaking the panels, just misting the carrier.

Then you want to make sure it's dry. I use a couple containers of DampRid in my locker. Everything is bone dry by next shift.

Last edited by Resq14; 05-28-2011, 05:43 AM.
        All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

I would use Lysol to spray down the vest in between shifts, during the weekend the carrier would get washed and I would sat my kevlar outside body side facing up and hose it down with a nice coating of febreeze extra strength or febreeze sports and let it air dry. Did that for 5 years on my first vest and kevlar didnt appear to sustain any damage from the treatment.

Comment

Febreze has always worked out well for me, but I don't sweat too much. Hang the vest on a thick coat hanger and a few sprays. On occasion, remove the carrier and wash it (per instructions).
            I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

If your vest is a few years old and was made before the kevlar panels were required to be sealed from moisture, then Febreeze or any spray will ruin the ballistic protection.

Now they seal all the panels from moisture (this requirement has only been around for 2 or so years). If its sealed, spray away!
              MAC

Comment

Always used Febreeze on mine. It takes the trunk smell right out of it, since that's where it lives most of the time when I am plain-clothes ( I know, I know, should wear it even in civvies).
                Good.........bad..........I'm the guy with the gun - Army of Darknesssigpic

Comment

I wore soft body armour from about 1981 until end of December 2010, most of the time undershirt / concealed style. From 1981 to 1984, I wore my self-purchased SBA, and only had 2 concealed carriers, so just hung them up, and stood the panels up separately, to air out between shifts, washing the carriers and wiping the panels with a damp cloth on days off. After my Force issued SBA, we could not get replacement carriers for a year, so continued doing this until I was able to order enough carriers to be able to change the concealed carrier every shift and put the used ones in the wash, while still standing the panels up to air out.

Eventually my Force issued external carriers, but I did not like wearing SBA that way, as our externals were / are a dark blue, but our shirts were khaki grey, so they are VERY noticeable. I would wear it when I was short clean concealed carriers. Our SBA was NOT recommended to be laundered, merely wiped with a damp cloth and was NOT to be exposed to sunlight.

I had a REAL problem with SBA during the 2010 Toronto G20 - I was assigned to the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, and it was KILLER humid during this love-fest. I had to not only pull the panels out of the carrier between shifts, but also lay the panels over the hotel room air conditioner to dry them out / cool them down. This would not have been too bad, but I had to try to find space for my boots and boot insoles as well - my room looked like a run-down laundry service!
                  Last edited by PeteBroccolo; 05-28-2011, 08:03 PM. Reason: Forgot what year I was at G20!
                  #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                  Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                  RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                  Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                  "Smile" - no!

Comment

I've never had that problem, I just hang mine in my wall locker at work every night. I wear an outer vest carrier though, so I'm sure my uniform shirt absorbs most of the sweat, which I clean in the washing machine. I clean the outer vest carrier in the washing machine too, but it's more susceptible to wear and tear.

When it gets dirty I wash the outer vest carrier and hang dry it.

Comment

I wash my vest carrier regularly and wipe the panels with a damp wet rag about once a week. I'm not a heavy sweater but I do live in south Louisiana so it's hot and humid here and I have no issues with my vest. When I get home from work I flip my vest inside out ie....the part of the panels that makes contact with my body I flip to face out and hang it up on the closet (I have a large walk in closet that is in the master bathroom so it gets good circulation). If your closet doesn't get good circuation then hang it on the back of the door in the bedroom or something. This helps WONDERS. Alot of people come home and lay the sweaty back panel ontop of the front sweaty panel and do not give it time to dry out between uses.

Ignored: Towncop, Pulicords, TacoMac, Ten08

Comment

Cool, yeah this is a newer vest so it is sealed from moisture. Thanks for the tips and for letting me know that febreeze sport is ok to use in moderation..... trust me, no one would want to be sitting in a car with me towards the end of a shift on my friday if I didn't figure this out soon.

Comment

I flip mine inside out, wipe with damp cloth, then spray with Febreeze. You are not supposed to hang soft body armor up, per manufacturers guidelines. Should be stored flat.
                          Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

I always hung mine up and sprayed with Febreeze at the end of a shift and washed the carrier once in a while...and I sweat a TON....can't say I miss having to wear it...and I know what you mean by the "vest stink" - even Febreeze wears off if you're working a double or it's extra hot out...
                            Originally posted by RSGSRT
                            We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                            Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Vest stink, lol, how about when you readjust, and that warm air from between your stomach and vest rises up!!! Isn't that a wonderful smell!!
                              Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3741 users online. 218 members and 3523 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X