300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandwidth?

I was looking at clip art and came upon a statement that many it it "illegal" to link a graphic feom a web page like some of us do (including me) from a web page to a forum??????? Never heard of that.

Mitzi there are many sites that flatly tell you the stuff is free and may be copied and used as you wish. In the case where someone does NOT want their stuff copied and used, I would certainly respect their request!

A lot of sites have a combination of "freebe" stuff and protected stuff. If you want the protected stuff, you pay for it.

Most graphics are really NOT appropriate to copy and paste onto a forum because of their size. That is why we ask that you limit it to the standard size "smilie" except for something very special and very seldom.

If you look at some of the posts by Jim Burnes, you will find that instead of pasting in the graphic he has pasted in the link. IMHO this makes a LOT more sense!

------------------
    I used to have an open mind - but my brains kept falling out.

6P1 (retired)

[This message has been edited by Don (edited 06-08-2001).]
    6P1 (retired)

Comment

i never saw that it was "illegal," but i have seen most sites saying to not "link" to the image, to cut and paste it instead. any linking slows down the site, and imagine with 1000's of ppl linking to it.

also, when i first joined this Forum, i saw a post saying that we were not to post any graphics or pics. i dont know if that has changed.
      "You did what you knew how to do...and when you knew better, you did better." ~~Maya Angelou

Comment

Oh, ok, so it slows down their site! I see! But, we can't cut and paste graphics in here can we? I rarely do but I can't resist posting a graphic once in a blue moon.

Comment

Other than slowing down their site, the material may be copyrighted, in which case is would be against the law (unless of course you gave them proper credit and weren't using it for commercial purposes).

Some websites actually do pursue cases on it. It wouldn't be a first.

------------------
          Niteshift-
          Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

Wouldn't that be more if someone uses it on their own website, Niteshift?

Comment

Most don't want it used at all if it's copyrighted, otherwise, they wouldn't bother.

------------------
              Niteshift-
              Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

What makes me marvel is how these people make the graphics in the first place. Even the smiley faces.

When you see fancy graphics on reports or web pages the answer is invariably they got it from the internet..but somebody had to design it. For a computer moron like me...it's pretty neat. Somebody posted a Tom & Jerry pounding each other. I like to copy that if somebody has it.

------------------
                "We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way." General George S. Patton

[This message has been edited by Guard Dog (edited 06-10-2001).]
                "The view only changes for the lead dog." ~ Sergeant Preston of The Yukon ~

Comment

Originally posted by Guard Dog:
                  Somebody posted a Tom & Jerry pounding each other. I like to copy that if somebody has it.
                  Guard: Is this what you are looking for? I don't think this is the traditional 'Tom & Jerry'. If I find something else, I'll let you know.

http://members.aol.com/wood58/animat...als/page2.html

[This message has been edited by ALadyToYou (edited 06-10-2001).]

Comment

The cat and mouse pounding on each other there are Itchy and Scratchy from The Simpsons

------------------
                    [email protected]

Comment

SpecOps: Thanks for clearing that up! Hate to call a 'toon' by a wrong name.

Comment

I loved the cat and mouse graphic!

Comment

Mitzi: And apparantly the dancing star also. It just goes to show you, 'great minds think alike!'

Comment

I am a graphic junkie! Most of the pictures I draw I get off the web. But, I wish I could insert graphics from my own files here instead of linking from a web site. Just can't figure out how to!

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, if you want to display graphics here that reside on your computer at home, you need to set up a webserver on your home computer. But, if your computer is turned off or disconnected from the internet and someone tries to view the picture then they won't be able to see it. But if I remember right you have a cable modem so you could leave it connected constantly if you wanted to.

Or just sign up for one of those free yahoo web accounts and upload your graphic there.
                              Tim

[This message has been edited by timtejas1 (edited 06-11-2001).]

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6007 users online. 339 members and 5668 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X