300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New LA police cars

I read an article about those new state of the art cars LA has ordered. I can't find it now but they looked like "WIN" with gobs of technology. Anyone know what I'm referring to who has a link? The one thing I found a little odd was they said it had back seats molded to accommodate people in hand-cuffs, but that's nothing new so don't know why they made it part of the story. I'm a gadget guy so I find this sort of thing interesting (and no... I'm not a police gadget guy, not "whacked" lol).
    The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground." - Thomas Jefferson

Is it the Carbon Motors E7?

http://www.carbonmotors.com/news-rel...ade-in-indiana

It is a Chevy Caprice that looks like it ripped a lot of ideas from the E7....

http://translogic.aolautos.com/2011/...y-caprice-ppv/
    Last edited by MagnumForce; 05-27-2011, 01:53 AM.

Comment

The new cars are Chevy Caprices. Here's an article about them:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...lice-cars.html

Several years ago Harrisburg PD got new cars and they stated the equipment they outfitted the cars with cost about as much as the cars themselves. I'll bet the equipment in these new LAPD cars costs more than the cars themselves.

Comment

Holy moly...you city guys might as well be driving an F/A-18 compared to my agency F150 4x4. Too many bells & whistles for me. However, even our trucks are getting outfitted with what is here called the "Project 54" system of voice-operated computer, electronics, emergency systems, MDT, and so forth. The younger guys really seem to like it.

I started with a fairly stripped truck way back when compared to what our new guys crave & get. I have a hard enough time with some of our new systems (I'll wait on that P54 install - they are quite expensive and can go to the guys who will use them most) and would probably be just plain lost in one of those new LAPD Caprices.

Then again, I doubt the LAPD guys get 17" LT Goodyear mud-tread Wranglers on their rims, or get issued a chainsaw, either.
        The opinions expressed here are from the individual only and do not represent the view of any agency that the poster may be affiliated with

Comment

Originally posted by tanklizard View Post
          The new cars are Chevy Caprices. Here's an article about them:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...lice-cars.html

Several years ago Harrisburg PD got new cars and they stated the equipment they outfitted the cars with cost about as much as the cars themselves. I'll bet the equipment in these new LAPD cars costs more than the cars themselves.
          That's why it's probably one car that will have all that equipment. LASD/LAPD usually come out with some new technology or equipment, but it never gets deployed to every car. It's way too expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Five-0fromSoCal View Post
            That's why it's probably one car that will have all that equipment. LASD/LAPD usually come out with some new technology or equipment, but it never gets deployed to every car. It's way too expensive.
            This is true. Many small town departments have far better technology and equipment than large departments. In my local department, they don't even have dash cams due to the cost to install and maintain storage for a system so large. Things get very expensive when you have 800+ patrol cars to outfit.

Comment

The police car has impressed!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2646 users online. 146 members and 2500 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X