300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supreme Court backs Arizona immigration law that punishes businesses

Washington (CNN) -- The Supreme Court has backed an Arizona law that punishes businesses hiring illegal aliens, a law that opponents, including the Obama administration, say steps on traditional federal oversight over immigration matters.

The 5-3 ruling Thursday is a victory for supporters of immigration reform.

It was the first high court challenge to a variety of recent state laws cracking down on illegal immigrants, an issue that has become a political lightning rod.

The outcome could serve as a judicial warm-up for a separate high-profile challenge to a more controversial Arizona immigration reform law working its way through lower courts. That statute would, among other things, give local police a greater role in arresting suspected illegal immigrants.

The hiring case turned on whether state law tramples on federal authority.

"Arizona has taken the route least likely to cause tension with federal law," wrote Chief Justice John Roberts. "It relies solely on the federal government's own determination of who is an unauthorized alien, and it requires Arizona employers to use the federal government's own system for checking employee status."
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

This is just the beginning. The judge who ruled the asking for proof of residency erred in her decision. Under federal regulations, as well as it printed on the residency card. The card must be presented upon request by lawful authority. I know it's printed on there cause my wife has a permanent residency card.
    GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

This is a step in the right direction, employment is the driver behind illegal immigration, stop them from getting paid and sending the money back home, and they will go back home, and stay there.

Bill
      Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

I have a better idea, than passing new immigration laws non-sense. How about we start enforcing the current immigration laws in the books already?

Bring our troops home and put them on the border down south west and enforce the border? We spend billions giving money to Pakistan who gives less of a $h!t about us, when that money could be used to enforce the border.

Apologies in advance for the rant.

Comment

Something at you all запутанно. We too have an immigration account for those who comes to work from other states. To receive constant residing at the country, it is necessary to have a trade, it is necessary to have work. It isn't simple.

Comment

Ironically, the bill was signed into law by then-Governor Janet Napolitano. Y'all might know her as the Democrat that's running DHS.

Put THAT in yer pipe and smoke it, Mr. President!
            NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Even more ironic is the fact that the DHS has told South Carolina that they can't enforce this law in our State and Janet Napolitano herself is refusing to give our Governor the time of day on the issue.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2...governor-says/
              "People don't fail, they give up". - Dale Carnegie

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
                Ironically, the bill was signed into law by then-Governor Janet Napolitano. Y'all might know her as the Democrat that's running DHS.

Put THAT in yer pipe and smoke it, Mr. President!
                Democrat, Republican... It doesn't matter what she is. She does her job the way politicians should.
                Been chatting to a girl online. She's funny, sexy and flirty. Now she tells me she is an undercover cop! How cool is that at her age!?

Comment

It does matter when she, as a Democrat mouthpiece for the President's policies, publicly lambasts the current Republican for supporting similar things she did when she was in office.
                  NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                    Washington (CNN) -- The Supreme Court has backed an Arizona law that punishes businesses hiring illegal aliens, a law that opponents, including the Obama administration, say steps on traditional federal oversight over immigration matters.

It was the first high court challenge to a variety of recent state laws cracking down on illegal immigrants, an issue that has become a political lightning rod.

The outcome could serve as a judicial warm-up for a separate high-profile challenge to a more controversial Arizona immigration reform law working its way through lower courts. That statute would, among other things, give local police a greater role in arresting suspected illegal immigrants.

"Arizona has taken the route least likely to cause tension with federal law," wrote Chief Justice John Roberts. "It relies solely on the federal government's own determination of who is an unauthorized alien, and it requires Arizona employers to use the federal government's own system for checking employee status."
                    Does California have similar laws and are they being enforced at all? From what my neighbors tell me, there is no enforcement here.

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post

This is a good move in the right direction.
                      Ignore List : Bearcat357, Blackavar

Comment

Originally posted by RLRay View Post
                        Does California have similar laws and are they being enforced at all? From what my neighbors tell me, there is no enforcement here.
                        No, it does not. Moreover, many Democrats want to allow illegal aliens to remain in the country after being arrested.
                        Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                        Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Should read, "Supreme Court backs the right of Arizona to regulate commerce within its borders."

Comment

Move in the right direction.
                            "I'm sorry, did you see my care face? Because I'm pretty sure I didn't show it to you becuase I DON'T care. Have a nice day. "

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3194 users online. 183 members and 3011 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X