Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Petty theft charged 13 years ago in VA........will he still get a police officer job?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petty theft charged 13 years ago in VA........will he still get a police officer job?

Got a friend who was about 18 and plead guilty of misdemeanor theft in VA about 13 years go. The offense attorney told him that if plead guilty, serve some community services, the record will be cleared after a certain years. (To what I've learned from the internet, you can't get it expunged once you plead guilty)

So, he went to the court and get a police check recently, and indicate NO CONVICTION, NO RECORD.

Now, is that maybe when they do the check it only goes back about 10 years and that's why it didn't show up or it was cleared/expunged itself due to long period of time?

And some applications I've seen myself about few years ago was like "you don't have to disclose a minor case if it's cleared or expunged." the question is, "Have you ever been arrested?" should you answer: yes or no ........

My suggestions to him were: 1)Go get another check by informing the clerk that was 13 years ago. 2)Tell the truth with an explanation.

How likely he will get a job in law enforcement in the DC surrounding area?

So you're asking if your "friend" should lie in answer to a question on a form designed to build trust in the applicant?

Your "friend" needs to answer the question truthfully, which in this case is 'yes.' While the record may have been "removed from public record" by the court, there are still arrest documents and information that will show up when his/her BI calls to investigate. Not to mention there will be a report floating around in an archive somewhere, with the exact details of what was alleged to have occurred.

I can't answer your question about getting a job in the DC area with anything more than a 'maybe, maybe not.' As far as I know, petty theft from over 10 years ago isn't an automatic DQ in most areas, but to me it'd be something I would want to look closely at.

Comment

Originally posted by ctfops101 View Post
      Got a friend who was about 18 and plead guilty of misdemeanor theft in VA about 13 years go. The offense attorney told him that if plead guilty, serve some community services, the record will be cleared after a certain years. (To what I've learned from the internet, you can't get it expunged once you plead guilty)

So, he went to the court and get a police check recently, and indicate NO CONVICTION, NO RECORD.

Now, is that maybe when they do the check it only goes back about 10 years and that's why it didn't show up or it was cleared/expunged itself due to long period of time?

And some applications I've seen myself about few years ago was like "you don't have to disclose a minor case if it's cleared or expunged." the question is, "Have you ever been arrested?" should you answer: yes or no ........

My suggestions to him were: 1)Go get another check by informing the clerk that was 13 years ago. 2)Tell the truth with an explanation.

How likely he will get a job in law enforcement in the DC surrounding area?
      First of all your "friend" needs to realize that a records check made by a civilian is not the same as a records check made by a LEO. You are talking about the difference between Apples and Oranges............they are both fruits but totally different.

Why worry about getting another check made. Your "friend" WAS arrested & DID plead guilty. Those facts are uncontested.

THAT is what you .............I am sorry ........your friend needs to disclose.

A 13 yr old misdemeanor isn't going to be a big problem, unless it is first discovered by the Background Investigator.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by iowa #1603 View Post
        that is what you .............i am sorry ........your friend needs to disclose.
        whoops

Comment

Your friend should run for mayor. In DC it won't be an issue.
          sigpic
          Don't make me gassy.
          You wouldn't LIKE me when I'm gassy...

If you're offended by something that I've said...it was just your turn.

Comment

Disclose EVERYTHING. A 13 year old misdemeanor in and of itself is not an automatic DQ. Omitting such then having it discovered is. Good luck. Er.....I mean tell your friend good luck.
            sigpic
            Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
            And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

No, But I see future in politics for you.
              Ignore List : Bearcat357, Blackavar

Comment

He probably got a "SIS" (suspended imposition of sentence) ....that was a real popular disposition with prosecutors in VA for awhile, since it disposed of petty cases quickly. After 1 year, with successful completion of community service, etc, the case was dismissed; ergo: No Conviction.
                "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

WOO HOO!!!!!!! A question like this where I can answer it...

I run criminal record checks on a regular basis - HUGE difference between a police CCH and what a civilian records check will show - it WILL be on there - even if it was 13 years ago, even if you were a juvenile, and even if it was expunged...so if you want the job, you shouldn't lie about being arrested, because you were, and it WILL show up...can't tell you how many applicants thought they could get away with that one - it was one of my favorite parts about sitting the LEIN desk when I was on day shift!

I mean, your "friend" shouldn't lie about being arrested...
                  Originally posted by RSGSRT
                  We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                  Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6421 users online. 348 members and 6073 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X