Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Woops.... Police say two men beaten, stabbed and shot in botched robbery attempt

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woops.... Police say two men beaten, stabbed and shot in botched robbery attempt

http://www.fayobserver.com/articles/...6166?sac=Crime

By James Halpin and Nancy McCleary
    Staff writers

Two men who police said tried to steal a woman's purse early Monday got more than they bargained for when as many as 15 of the victim's family members and friends rushed to her aid and then severely beat, shot and stabbed the suspects.

Fayetteville police officers arrived at the scene of the melee in the Cambridge Arms apartments about 12:45 a.m. and found two men lying on the pavement of the parking lot with multiple stab and gunshot wounds. Police found a group of the woman's relatives walking in the parking lot covered in blood.

One of the accused robbers was critically injured in the attack and remained on life support Monday, police said. The other was treated at Cape Fear Valley Medical Center and released.

Maria Consuelo Ramirez Flores, a longtime friend who knew the victim's family when they were still in El Salvador, said through a translator Monday that robberies, break-ins and other crimes have been persistent problems in the area. The Hispanic community has gotten fed up, and some members decided to take matters into their own hands Monday morning, she said.

"They just decided to stop them and to arrest somebody," Flores said. "It's nothing that they talked about beforehand or planned. They're tired of being the victims of attacks."

According to police, 22-year-old Raufeal Weddy, of the 3900 block of Village Drive, and 26-year-old Terrel Battle, of the 1100 block of Clark Street, were armed with a handgun when they tried to rob Maria Guevara, 47, of her purse.

One of the suspects, a known Blood gang member, was wearing a red bandana across his face when he approached Guevara, according to police.

Guevara began screaming, alerting from 10 to 15 family members and friends who live in the same building, police spokesman Lt. Chris Davis said. They rushed out, and one of the alleged robbers fired a shot at them, he said.

"The round passed through the clothing of an Alex Echeverria, but failed to strike his body," Davis said.

Guevara's family members then ran after the two, caught them and disarmed them during a struggle, Davis said.

"Both suspects were shot during the initial struggle, with the suspect's gun, and then the family severely beat, stabbed and cut both suspects," Davis said.

Flores said she had just come home from a birthday party in Lumberton about 12:50 a.m. Monday when she saw the two men get out of a car driven by a third man.

Flores, who had been watching from her apartment in the building next door, went next door when she realized the men were attacking her friend.

Guevara's relatives came outside and began struggling to put the robbers on the ground, she said.

"They got a little rough because they didn't know how many more weapons they had, so they wanted to keep it under control," Flores said.

Flores said one of the accused robbers tried to choke her at one point in the scuffle and that he then grabbed her by the arm and threw her to the ground.

The third man had the car doors open and was yelling for the men to get back inside, but he drove off after realizing his accomplices were outnumbered, Flores said. Police identified that vehicle as a silver Buick.

Neighbor Jessica Wodarz, 21, said she'd been sleeping when she heard a lot of yelling in Spanish coming from the building across the street. She looked outside and saw a man on the ground being beaten with a club, she said. She started screaming for them to stop and then called 911.

She later went across the street, and one of the men on the ground asked her for something to wipe his face on, she said.

"He was pretty badly leaking," Wodarz said. "He couldn't move his legs or back. I'm like, he's got to be broken. I thought he was going to get murdered."

Davis said no charges had been filed against anyone Monday as police tried to sort out what happened.

Investigators wanted to talk to the accused robbers for their version of events before filing charges, and had not been able to do so by Monday afternoon, he said.
    I wonder if someone will help the 10-15 people out and help them articulate that they were simply only trying to subdue the offenders and stop them resisting so they could effect a citizen's arrest.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Originally posted by jcioccke
    After I hit it, I would be disgusted with her

Citizen's arrest is not allowed in NC. You can detain using some force and for a reasonable amount of time. However, lethal force is not allowed. If the guys tried to flee and surrender this could be a mess for many people. The political fall out from this is going to be interesting.

Thanks for the story and link.
    Last edited by MikeNice; 05-24-2011, 10:29 PM.
    W.W.S.D
    What Would Serpico Do?

Comment

"Dispatch, this will be a Code Karma. I'm 10-8."

Comment

that's freaking awesome! sounds like some street justice was served, good for them. Those two robbery suspects got more punishment then they'll ever get from our ridiculous and crumbling criminal justice system.

Comment

Originally posted by careerchange#2 View Post
          "Dispatch, this will be a Code Karma. I'm 10-8."
          One of my favorite clearances I heard on the radio years ago was.."appears to have been a mutual gun battle, I will be 10-8"
          Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.

We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeNice View Post
            Citizen's arrest is not allowed in NC. You can detain using some force and for a reasonable amount of time. However, lethal force is not allowed. If the guys tried to flee and surrender this could be a mess for many people.
            Bummer for them. Is it a messed up thing to say that in this case, I hope no one cooperates with the police? As in "nobody saw nothing"?

Comment

"dispatch, this will be a code karma. I'm 10-8."
              :d:d
              Last edited by jcioccke; 05-25-2011, 06:54 AM.
              MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Davis said no charges had been filed against anyone Monday as police tried to sort out what happened.
                Awwwwwwww...that sucks....
                Originally posted by RSGSRT
                We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Citizen's arrest is not allowed in NC. You can detain using some force and for a reasonable amount of time. However, lethal force is not allowed. If the guys tried to flee and surrender this could be a mess for many people. The political fall out from this is going to be interesting.

Perhaps not but defense of others in pretty much universal. Generally speaking, a person can take the same action to defend another that he would if he were defending himself. If they end up being charged, whether or not they exceeded the used of force will be a question for the grand jury and perhaps a petite jury down the road.

I personally have no problem with what they did. They got what they deserved.

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

Comment

Since the suspects were armed with handguns, I would argue that the victim and her rescuers would be authorized to use effective lethal force in an effort to defend one-another from the possibility of being fatally harmed by the suspects.

Good job on the part of the neighborhood. If one of the perpetrators fatals out, so be it! Saves the community from having to hold a trial.
                    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

First let me say that I would probably turn a blind eye. However, can it be legally justified for a mob to repeatedly stab and shoot two people. There comes a point where the perps probably couldn't fight back. At that point you start looking at excessive force.

Defense is universal but a mob using lethal force stops being a defense at some point. If at any point the perps stopped fighting, and surrendered, the use of lethal force became illegal.

I was just trying to clarify the situation using my understanding of the law.
                      Last edited by MikeNice; 05-25-2011, 10:25 AM. Reason: need to proof read
                      W.W.S.D
                      What Would Serpico Do?

Comment

Beaten suspect charged in Fayetteville robbery

Fayetteville, N.C. — Fayetteville police have charged one of two suspects beaten after a robbery late Sunday.

Raufeal Weddy, 22, of the 3900 block of Village Drive, was released Tuesday afternoon from the hospital, where he had been in critical condition. Police arrested him on charges of robbery with a dangerous weapon and conspiracy to commit armed robbery.

Police believe that Weddy was one of two men who robbed Maria Guebara, 47, of her purse outside her apartment building at 20 Cambridge Arms.

When Guebara screamed, 10 to 15 relatives and friends ran from nearby apartments and chased the suspected robbers, police said. One suspect fired a shot that just missed one of the pursuers, police said.

The family and friends apprehended and disarmed the two men, shooting both in the struggle for their gun, police said. They then beat and stabbed the men, police said.

A third suspected robber fled the area in a silver Buick, police said.

Terrel Battle, 26, of Clark Street, was treated and released from the hospital after being beaten during the robbery attempt. Police have named him as a suspect, but he has not been charged.

Weddy and Battle were convicted of common-law robbery and conspiracy in a May 3, 2008, incident in Cumberland County, according to state Department of Correction records. Both served approximately five months in jail.
                        http://www.wral.com/news/news_briefs/story/9641378/
                        Last edited by Prov1x; 05-25-2011, 08:42 AM.
                        yeah!

Comment

First let me say that I would turn a blind eye if I would probably turn a blind eye. However, can it be legally justified for a mob to repeatedly stab and shoot two people. There comes a point where the perps probably couldn't fight back. At that point you start looking at excessive force.

Defense is universal but a mob using lethal force stops being a defense at some point. If at any point the perps stopped fighting, and surrendered, the use of lethal force became illegal.

I was just trying to clarify the situation using my understanding of the law.
                          I agree. The amount of force is surely an issue. But I wouldn't want to touch this case as a D.A. I mean, perp has a gun and who knows if there was more where that came from. Beating them, stabbing them and shooting them senseless pretty much ensures that you don't have to worry about being shot or stabbed with a hidden weapon.

What I like about this most is a community standing up for their people and putting the thugs on notice that this is what they can expect. There's a reason why thugs don't go into heavy Italian areas like Bensonhurt in Brooklyn and mug old ladies. They'd never make it out alive.

"Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it". George Constanza.

Comment

Not that the outcome didn’t come a correct resolution, however:

15 friends and family were in the immediate vicinity and readily armed with guns and knives.

What might you LEO’s expect if you were on scene and ID’d everyone and could connect who had the guns and knives? I’m guessing a lot more arrests for illegal possession of firearms and weapons.

update: I guess I don't know where the gun originated from and if there was one or more.
                            Last edited by SCV-Sop; 05-25-2011, 11:39 AM.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
                            - Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

Originally posted by SCV-Sop View Post
                              Not that the outcome didn’t come a correct resolution, however:

15 friends and family were in the immediate vicinity and readily armed with guns and knives.

What might you LEO’s expect if you were on scene and ID’d everyone and could connect who had the guns and knives? I’m guessing a lot more arrests for illegal possession of firearms and weapons.

update: I guess I don't know where the gun originated from and if there was one or more.
                              "Both suspects were shot during the initial struggle, with the suspect's gun, and then the family severely beat, stabbed and cut both suspects," Davis said.

They were shot with their own gun.
                              The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Originally posted by jcioccke
                              After I hit it, I would be disgusted with her

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4694 users online. 282 members and 4412 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X