300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metro Transit Police "assault" wheelchair-bound man

So, police ASK drunk/drinking in public wheelchair-bound man to leave subway station. He refuses. They attempt to issue a citation, but he won't cooperative and tells them he won't leave. They TELL him he is under arrest, yet he continues to refuse to comply and then physically resists. They MAKE him comply, as he continues to struggle, is removed from the chair and taken into custody on the ground.

Of course, the incident was video-taped and there is the somewhat expected public uproar about the police harassing/assaulting this poor, innocent man. I'd like to know just what exactly all the Monday Morning Quaterback/civilian police experts say the officers should have done, since obviosuly we are always wrong.

Video of the incident (the "assault" part only, of course -- not the lead up):
    http://wtop.com/?nid=41&sid=2393579

Thoughts?

(Also, DC officers: why was he charged with APO and not resisting arrest?)

Source: Wheelchair-bound man had .30 BAC
    Monday - 5/23/2011, 12:06pm ET

WASHINGTON - A man in a wheelchair has been hospitalized after a bloody encounter with Metro Transit Police.

The incident occurred Thursday at the U Street-Cardozo Metro Station.

Metro spokesman Steven Taubenkibel tells WTOP that officers discovered the man drinking an alcoholic beverage and asked him to leave the area.

When he refused, the officers attempted to issue a citation. When the man again refused to cooperate, officers told him he would be placed under arrest.

"The officers directed the subject to leave the area. The subject told them he wasn't going anywhere," a source close to the investigation tells WTOP. "The officers had no choice but to place the subject under arrest. As one of the officers attempted to take control of his arm, the subject immediately stood up, losing his balance. The officers had no idea the subject could stand or even walk."

Taubenkibel says the man resisted arrest, which "resulted in him falling out of his wheelchair." However, a YouTube video showing the incident does appear to show one of the officers sticking out his leg and tripping the man in the wheelchair.

A Metro source also tells WTOP the man in the wheelchair had a blood alcohol content registering over .30 -- more than three times the legal limit.

Disclaimer: This video contains explicit language from bystanders.

The man was taken to the hospital for a cut on his head.

He was arrested for assault on a police officer and drinking in public.

Metro Transit Deputy Chief Jeff Delinski says officers do go through sensitivity training for instances when they have to deal with people with disabilities.

"We do (that training) in the academy and during in-service classes," says Delinski.

Taubenkibel says Metro Transit Police are following up on this report.

Metro Boardmember Jeff McKay, who represents Fairfax County, says the video of the incident has been sent to internal affairs.

"I'm glad it is going to be investigated," says McKay.

The issue of having to answer for your actions is nothing new. What we as public servants must recognize is that regardless of how we conduct ourselves our actions are always subject to review, question and rebuke in a flat plane; that plane being on a computer monitor or television screen. We should not change our behavior due to the potential of being recorded and later questioned; we should maintain the degree of professionalism that maintains us through times of question.

What is lacking from snippets on YouTube or the news is as I am oft heard saying “the totality of the circumstances”. It is easy to make a judgment based on 30 seconds of video, but how accurate is such when you were not there. Given that I was not there and have no direct spatial awareness, I ask the following: Had those officers had prior contact with the subject in question; what occurred immediately prior to the video starting. The list of questions could go on and on.

I am guilty of passing judgment on dash cam videos and proffering my own ideas of how a chase or arrest should have gone, and on more than one occasion I was promptly put into my proper place by the folks who were there and who told me how it WAS versus how it looked.
    Originally posted by SSD
    It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603
    And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

I'd bet if the truth ever does come out that the drunken idiot was not even remotely wheelchair bound and he hijacked it from a relative who was.
      sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

Being crippled does not exclude you from the law.
        The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Originally posted by jcioccke
        After I hit it, I would be disgusted with her

Comment

I was not on the scene or know anything facts of this incident, but if you're a LEO yourself you know how it is. A homeless on your beat, always harrassing pedestrians, and especially on a wheel chair......wow. This kind of stuffs throw me off, like Zeplin stated, he probably jacked that wheel chair from somewhere lol. Good luck to those transit unit

Comment

However, a YouTube video showing the incident does appear to show one of the officers sticking out his leg and tripping the man in the wheelchair
            I started laughing when I read this part.

I love these youtube videos that start the exact second the mean police officers started ripping an innocent cripple, probably a decorated war veteran and going to medical school, out of his wheel chair. They always miss the beginning when the guy is throwing mad dog bottles at passerby's, and telling pretty girls they can rub his junk for a dollar. At least that's how they act around here.
            Last edited by Item9; 05-23-2011, 11:43 PM. Reason: Spelling!

Comment

This has been getting a lot of attention, the news interviewed people that see this guy every day, one made him sound nice and harmless, two said he has a temper. He was also drunk, BAC .30

As far as the "tripping" I am guessing that using the leg like that is the way you take someone down.
              It's not that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so. Ronald Reagan

TSA, I would rather be felt up than blown up.

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^ Yes it is called sweeping the legs or leg. I am sure that the Officers did not want the guy to get a cut on his head but it happened. I know for us when this happens we have to go to the Hospital with the suspect, our city pays that bill, then once we have clearance we book him. It is always better when they comply and not resist.
                Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.

We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

Comment

Don't you just love how these videos always begin right AFTER everything that led up to the officers decision to take the action. I would like to know why he only uploaded that part, oh wait, I already know...
                  --In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

Comment

Originally posted by sgt jon View Post
                    I am guilty of passing judgment on dash cam videos and proffering my own ideas of how a chase or arrest should have gone, and on more than one occasion I was promptly put into my proper place by the folks who were there and who told me how it WAS versus how it looked.
                    That's probably true for my bias as well, which is in the opposite direction. I'm used to people passing judgment on military people in warzones in a stupid way so when I clicked on my local DC news station Sunday night and watched the video that made it appear two cops were throwing some poor innocent handicapped guy to the ground rather harshly, I just assumed the cops were justified. I have to catch myself passing judgment without actually having the facts as well.

But if I were a betting person.......

Comment

Looked like a perfectly reasonable use of force to me.

The guy was clearly agitated and resisted when they first tried to secure him.

If you look closely, you'll see he advances his left foot forward on his own, then the cop reacts by sweeping his leg out. Once he sees the guy take a step, there's no reason to assume his mobility is severe. If he can take a long step like that, what's to say he couldn't do a 6 minute mile?

... and yeah he probably did boost that chair. I see that $hit all the time in San Fran.
                      John Q. Citizen

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Comment

Originally posted by COpd View Post
                        Don't you just love how these videos always begin right AFTER everything that led up to the officers decision to take the action. I would like to know why he only uploaded that part, oh wait, I already know...
                        Well of course, its only after some stuff goes down that people think to take ot the video recorder. Props to the police officer for not saying something lame like "you can't record us, shut off the camera or you will be arrested"(although the guy came dangerously close to being arrested for obstruction or interference).

This is a video that some may see as painting them in a bad light, but hey its the citizens right to film, and the officers respect this. I have heard of people getting arrested for filming stuff that might help the police...this gets to me.

Comment

I could've sworn I heard Charles Barkley in the backgound at 1:04

Comment

Just saw him on the news this morning, he is fine and loving the attention. The officers are still working and their names have not be released.
                            It's not that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so. Ronald Reagan

TSA, I would rather be felt up than blown up.

Comment

I LOVED how everyone decided to jump in and start yelling at the officers that he couldn't possibly have done anything wrong because he's in a wheelchair and yelling to the guy "are you ok? Do you need an ambulance?" like the officers are just going to leave him on the ground...morons...

Now, this is the crap that makes the media but this kind of stuff happens ALL THE TIME!!! I can't tell you how many times I would make an arrest as a SPO and people would try to interfere or jump in and assault officers, even if they didn't know the person, because they thought we were wrong, and end up getting arrested themselves (and sometimes get even more serious charges then the person they're defending) over NOTHING...and how stupid they felt because they only saw the last minute of a 20 minute long incident - we even get calls from people passing by scenes who want to object to the way our deputies or even officers from other cities are handling things even though they have absolutely no clue what is going on...
                              Originally posted by RSGSRT
                              We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                              Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7102 users online. 364 members and 6738 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X