300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Required to Carry Off-Duty?

Does anyone on here's department require them to carry Off-Duty?

And if so, what do you do with your weapon when you drink?

Originally posted by HEDP View Post

Does anyone on here's department require them to carry Off-Duty?

And if so, what do you do with your weapon when you drink?

Mine doesn't but I know of a very large agency in my state that requires their people to carry off duty. I believe their policy provides certain exceptions when carry is improper or not feasible, such as drinking, swimming etc...

In Michigan, you cannot be under the influence and in possession of a firearm. There is no exception for cops.

Again in Michigan, a simple solution is to unload the firearm and lock it in the vehicle preferably in a lock box. Here is exactly what Michigan law says to do with a firearm for Concealed Pistol License holders:
    (3) This section does not prohibit an individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol who has any bodily alcohol content from transporting that pistol in the locked trunk of his or her motor vehicle or another motor vehicle in which he or she is a passenger or, if the vehicle does not have a trunk, from transporting that pistol unloaded in a locked compartment or container that is separated from the ammunition for that pistol or on a vessel if the pistol is transported unloaded in a locked compartment or container that is separated from the ammunition for that pistol.

Comment

Not required for my Department. Weapon stays at home, locked up if I plan on having any alcohol.

Comment

My first PD required off duty carry. If I was drinking, I left it in the car. Usually, I didn't drink.
        I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Not required but strongly recommended. I do not drink so it is not a problem. Of course if I chose to drink I would leave it in the car.
          Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.

We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

Comment

As stated before, we are REQUIRED to carry at all times, unless unfeasible. We are also encouraged to carry a back up weapon while on duty.
            Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

My agency requires off-duty carry; dependant on the activity you are involved in. Its better to be caught drunk while you're unarmed. I only drink at my home, or a campsite I may be staying in. There's a gun readily available though.
              I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4352 users online. 287 members and 4065 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X