300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal LEO 6C retirement question

I know when you do 20 years of satisfactory service as a FLEO in a 6C covered postion, you can retire. My question is, do active duty buybacks apply to the 20 year retirement?

If I did 4 years of active military service and buy back that time and then complete 16 years of service as a FLEO in a 6C position, would I be able to retire?

I believe the buy back would.
    GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

Originally posted by hangman View Post
      I know when you do 20 years of satisfactory service as a FLEO in a 6C covered postion, you can retire. My question is, do active duty buybacks apply to the 20 year retirement?

If I did 4 years of active military service and buy back that time and then complete 16 years of service as a FLEO in a 6C position, would I be able to retire?
      FERS, as it is now, is 20 years at age 50 or any age with 25 years.

I think you would still need to do the 20 years, but those 4 years would add 1% per year to your pension and count towards the 25 years if you bought them back.

If I'm wrong and they do count for your 20 years, it will lower your retirement by 2.8%.

Comment

They will not count towards the 20 years needed to retire; you MUST complete 20 years of 6c service (although it doesn't matter if you Agency-hop as long as you have 20 years of 6c service).

The military service you buy-back will increase your pension, but it will NOT allow you to retire before 20 years.

-V

Comment

Originally posted by madchiken View Post
          FERS, as it is now, is 20 years at age 50 or any age with 25 years.

I think you would still need to do the 20 years, but those 4 years would add 1% per year to your pension and count towards the 25 years if you bought them back.

If I'm wrong and they do count for your 20 years, it will lower your retirement by 2.8%.
          He's talking about FERS Plus, the LEO retirement system.

Comment

Originally posted by GIOSTORMUSNRET View Post
            He's talking about FERS Plus, the LEO retirement system.
            As am I, except there's no such thing as "FERS Plus."
            Last edited by madchiken; 05-22-2011, 07:24 PM.

Comment

As am I, except there's no such thing as "FERS Plus."
              There's FERS and enhanced Fers. FERS is for all federal employees, no maximum age limit as long as you get your 20 years in. Enhanced FERS commonly known as LEO Retirement has a maximum age limit with the 20 years. Now under a ruling by the Merit System Protection Board veteran preference do not have a maximum age and the retirement age is adjusted in order to meet the 20 year requirement.

Firefighters, Law Enforcement Officers, and Air Traffic Controllers

These groups of employees receive an unreduced benefit at age 50 with 20 years of service, or at any age with 25 years of service. If you are in one of these employee groups, you contribute an additional .5% of pay to the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS).
              Your annual annuity is:
              1.7% of your high-3 average pay
              times
              20 years of service
              plus
              1.0% of your high-3 average pay
              times
              years of service exceeding 20.
              You also receive a Special Retirement Supplement until age 62 that approximates
              the Social Security benefit earned in Federal service. After you reach the Minimum Retirement Age (MRA), if you have earnings from wages or self-employment that exceed the Social Security annual exempt amount, your supplement will be reduced or stopped. In addition, you are entitled to an annual Cost-of-Living Adjustment (COLA), regardless of your age.

Comment

There's FERS and enhanced Fers. FERS is for all federal employees, no maximum age limit as long as you get your 20 years in. Enhanced FERS commonly known as LEO Retirement has a maximum age limit with the 20 years. Now under a ruling by the Merit System Protection Board veteran preference do not have a maximum age and the retirement age is adjusted in order to meet the 20 year requirement.

Firefighters, Law Enforcement Officers, and Air Traffic Controllers

These groups of employees receive an unreduced benefit at age 50 with 20 years of service, or at any age with 25 years of service. If you are in one of these employee groups, you contribute an additional .5% of pay to the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS).
                Your annual annuity is:
                1.7% of your high-3 average pay
                times
                20 years of service
                plus
                1.0% of your high-3 average pay
                times
                years of service exceeding 20.
                You also receive a Special Retirement Supplement until age 62 that approximates
                the Social Security benefit earned in Federal service. After you reach the Minimum Retirement Age (MRA), if you have earnings from wages or self-employment that exceed the Social Security annual exempt amount, your supplement will be reduced or stopped. In addition, you are entitled to an annual Cost-of-Living Adjustment (COLA), regardless of your age.
                Isn't that what I said?

Comment

Yes, but it is considered an enhanced FERS cause you get the full retirement after 20, while regular FERS is reduced if you retire at the 20 but under age 62.

Comment

Yes, but it is considered an enhanced FERS cause you get the full retirement after 20, while regular FERS is reduced if you retire at the 20 but under age 62.
                    Almost... its enhanced because we get 1.7% for the first 20 years. But even that is only 34%, I wouldn't call that full retirement...

Comment

Almost... its enhanced because we get 1.7% for the first 20 years. But even that is only 34%, I wouldn't call that full retirement...
                      But under FERS for LEO they don't reduce it if you're under 62, and the percentage is slightly higher than regular FERS at 1% after 20.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6230 users online. 344 members and 5886 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X