X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nessmuk
    replied
    Originally posted by mdrdep View Post
    Not only are we required to carry extra, our qualifications require a reload..........
    Same in our state.

Our agency requires that when in uniform we carry all of our LE tools (OC, MEB, cuffs, radio, sidearm, two extra mags). Flashlight is provided - actually, two: Mag charger & tiny Streamlight rechargeable - but is only belt tool not required at all times.

Standard ammo load is 37 - 3x 12rd mags + one in chamber. 229 in .357 SIG.

Leave a comment:

• gamewarden3006
    replied
    Defin. carry extras if for no other reason than to clear a malfunction. I have had to do this with simunition before...

Leave a comment:

• careerchange#2
    replied
    It comes down to complacency and laziness. I see all the time uniformed officers who work inside headquarters or command staff members walking around with just their gun. I get even more pizzed when I see a uniformed command staff member out and about with just a Glock 27 and nothing else on their belt. It really pizzes me off because I am REQUIRED by policy to have A MINIMUM of 1 reload and handcuffs with my firearm any time I am in uniform.

Most folks will never fire their weapon, and even fewer will ever have to reload under fire or during a situation. They just get comfortable with whatever is in their gun, not taking into consideration malfunctions, misses, multiple attackers, etc.

I recently got a bug up my but and started setting up redundant ammo. I carry the require 46 duty rounds. I have a box of OO buck and a box of slug in each door pocket, 3 30rnd M4 mags and a spare 15rnd pistol mag in my active shooter kit on my passenger seat, a redi-mag on my M4 for a total of 2 mags in the gun, plus spare 20/30rnd M4 mags in my trunk.

Do I honestly ever expect to burn through all that ammo? Of course not, but no matter where I am in relation to my car I can get to spare ammo. If I'm by the trunk I can reload. Passenger side? Reload. Driver side? Reload.

Leave a comment:

• DAL
    replied
    I remember being in Houston in 1984 and seeing some officers carrying 6-shot revolvers with only six spare rounds.

Leave a comment:

• jannino
    replied
    I've never seen a patrol officer with less than 2 extra mags.

It's common for department higher ups to only wear a firearm on their duty belt.

Leave a comment:

• LINY
    replied
    For the full-time Officers, they need to carry 2 extra mags on their duty belt, and are required to carry an off duty gun when in the confines of the county.

Leave a comment:

• American1stClss
    replied
    I appreciate all the replies. Obviously majority of us would carry extra ammo. My question is, how did this guy get away without. I guess it really doesn't matter seeing how he learned a lesson and probably woulndt go naked again. I see a lot of kcmo pd with glock 22 in safariland 295 with two extra mags. Unless they have been around long enough to be carrying the old smith. I know of a few officers even in security that would carry lots of ammo. I worked off an area called 31st and prospect. Most of us carried a second weapon under the vest. I carried a glock 22 in a 295 with 3 extra mags on my belt, with a cheap norinco 1911 under my vest. But I've since replaced my back up gun with a 22 auto i carry in front left pocket because my right pocket is carrying a gerber and s.w hostage rescue tool. (Knives)

Leave a comment:

• RaucousSilence
    replied
    Originally posted by mdrdep View Post
    Not only are we required to carry extra, our qualifications require a reload..........
    Are there quals out there that don't? It was reloading from the speedloader that made getting my summer backup (airweight .38) such a challenge.

We carry 15+1 in the gun, 30 on the belt, and I carry 4 more 15-rounders in my bail out bag, plus an extra box or two of ammo in the trunk.

Leave a comment:

• mdrdep
    replied

Leave a comment:

• just joe
    replied
    That's crazy. Uniformed officers are required to carry two extra mags and plainclothes are required to carry at least one extra mag.

Leave a comment:

• Street_Cop50
    replied
    Originally posted by careerchange#2 View Post
    We, by policy, carry a total of 3 magazines (2 on the belt, 1 in the gun) totaling 46 rounds of duty ammo. Most of us carry spare ammo in a bailout bag, vest, bandolero, etc.

Same with me.

One in the gun, two on my belt, and two in my bail out / active shooter bag.

And after watching that video, I was instantly motivated to practice at the range much more often.

Leave a comment:

• HCSO511
    replied
    Originally posted by Dingo990 View Post
    Carry two extra on my belt.

Carry a box of cheap FMJ founds in my emergency bag (I know I know, but I'm poor and I figure if sh*t hits the fan and I need to be grabbing ammo out of my bag, I'm not worried about the rounds expanding)
    Nothing wrong with FMJ's if your shooting through barriers bother. And I doubt anyone would whine to much if they're empty and still taking fire and you tossed them FMJ's.

Leave a comment:

• adeutch
    replied
    Originally posted by M1garand View Post
    I always have minimum of 1 extra mag at all times, not just for a sake of having extra ammo, but in case I encounter a malfunction or issue with ammo, I have option to dump out the mag from the gun and reload with fresh mag.
    To me, THAT seems like the single most important reason to carry extra mags. If you have a major malfunction like a double feed you don't want to mess around with that magazine. Drop the mag, clear the gun, and start fresh.

Leave a comment:

• Rudy8116
    replied
    Off duty, I carry one extra mag, or 2 if I am carrying my smaller pistol. On duty, 2 extra on my belt and a bunch in a bag next to me.

Leave a comment:

• M1garand
    replied
    I always have minimum of 1 extra mag at all times, not just for a sake of having extra ammo, but in case I encounter a malfunction or issue with ammo, I have option to dump out the mag from the gun and reload with fresh mag.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5582 users online. 344 members and 5238 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X