300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agencys requiring extra ammo?

Not too long ago I was watching a interview with a Officer who had been shot. I believe he was either highway patrol or state trooper. The crazy thing that has made me create this post is the Officer had only had one mag. Which was the one in his service pistol. He had regretted that he did not carry extra pistol mags. This blew my mind. Never in my life have I herd of a Officer not carrying at least one extra pistol mag. I always thought that body armor and extra ammo would be a requirement. Who doesn't carry extra ammo for your handgun? I'm not referring to patrol rifles or shotguns. But handguns. I know first hand how much a duty belt can weigh when loaded down with everything, but not even a single extra pistol mag?

I found the video. I was wrong, he was a Deputy, not HP or a trooper.

Last edited by American1stClss; 05-21-2011, 05:54 PM.

* I didn't watch a video so yep.

Speaking from a DSP stand point, road troopers are required to carry 2 extra mags. on them since its part of the uniform code. Along with that, most troopers carry a bag/box of extra hang gun and riffle/shot gun ammo in the passenger seat or in the trunk.
    Semper Paratus/Always Ready
    Originally posted by jakflak
    The bottom line: always be nice to the magic voice. All hail the magic voice!!
    Originally posted by Michigan
    I have a 1 year old daughter and at this rate I'm almost certain I'm going to end up in prison by the time she's 15 years old. I swear, the first guy that that comes knocking on my door holding onto a naked photo of my daughter.....

Don't bother telling me, "oh it's her fault too".... I know, I have double standards. Deal with it.

: )

Comment

We're even required to carry a reload off-duty.

Uniforms carry at least two, plain-clothes at least one. I carry a couple more in a bail-out bag and have a couple on my tac vest.
      Originally posted by kontemplerande
      Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

We carry 13x2 ata minimum.

I carry 39 because I don't pay for my ammo.

M-11
        “All men dream...... But not equally..
        Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
        but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
        for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Carry two extra on my belt.

Carry a box of cheap FMJ founds in my emergency bag (I know I know, but I'm poor and I figure if sh*t hits the fan and I need to be grabbing ammo out of my bag, I'm not worried about the rounds expanding)

Comment

We, by policy, carry a total of 3 magazines (2 on the belt, 1 in the gun) totaling 46 rounds of duty ammo. Most of us carry spare ammo in a bailout bag, vest, bandolero, etc.

Comment

I always have minimum of 1 extra mag at all times, not just for a sake of having extra ammo, but in case I encounter a malfunction or issue with ammo, I have option to dump out the mag from the gun and reload with fresh mag.

Comment

Off duty, I carry one extra mag, or 2 if I am carrying my smaller pistol. On duty, 2 extra on my belt and a bunch in a bag next to me.
                I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Originally posted by M1garand View Post
                  I always have minimum of 1 extra mag at all times, not just for a sake of having extra ammo, but in case I encounter a malfunction or issue with ammo, I have option to dump out the mag from the gun and reload with fresh mag.
                  To me, THAT seems like the single most important reason to carry extra mags. If you have a major malfunction like a double feed you don't want to mess around with that magazine. Drop the mag, clear the gun, and start fresh.
                  "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

Originally posted by Dingo990 View Post
                    Carry two extra on my belt.

Carry a box of cheap FMJ founds in my emergency bag (I know I know, but I'm poor and I figure if sh*t hits the fan and I need to be grabbing ammo out of my bag, I'm not worried about the rounds expanding)
                    Nothing wrong with FMJ's if your shooting through barriers bother. And I doubt anyone would whine to much if they're empty and still taking fire and you tossed them FMJ's.

Comment

Originally posted by careerchange#2 View Post
                      We, by policy, carry a total of 3 magazines (2 on the belt, 1 in the gun) totaling 46 rounds of duty ammo. Most of us carry spare ammo in a bailout bag, vest, bandolero, etc.

Same with me.

One in the gun, two on my belt, and two in my bail out / active shooter bag.

And after watching that video, I was instantly motivated to practice at the range much more often.
                      Look sharp, act sharp, be sharp.

Comment

That's crazy. Uniformed officers are required to carry two extra mags and plainclothes are required to carry at least one extra mag.

Comment

Not only are we required to carry extra, our qualifications require a reload..........
                          Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                          Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by mdrdep View Post
                            Not only are we required to carry extra, our qualifications require a reload..........
                            Are there quals out there that don't? It was reloading from the speedloader that made getting my summer backup (airweight .38) such a challenge.

We carry 15+1 in the gun, 30 on the belt, and I carry 4 more 15-rounders in my bail out bag, plus an extra box or two of ammo in the trunk.
                            The academy teaches you skills, the street gives you experience, but it all comes down to your instinct.

Comment

I appreciate all the replies. Obviously majority of us would carry extra ammo. My question is, how did this guy get away without. I guess it really doesn't matter seeing how he learned a lesson and probably woulndt go naked again. I see a lot of kcmo pd with glock 22 in safariland 295 with two extra mags. Unless they have been around long enough to be carrying the old smith. I know of a few officers even in security that would carry lots of ammo. I worked off an area called 31st and prospect. Most of us carried a second weapon under the vest. I carried a glock 22 in a 295 with 3 extra mags on my belt, with a cheap norinco 1911 under my vest. But I've since replaced my back up gun with a 22 auto i carry in front left pocket because my right pocket is carrying a gerber and s.w hostage rescue tool. (Knives)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4483 users online. 273 members and 4210 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X