Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• usamarshal
    replied
    Hey SGT Scott, where at in TN do you work? I'm guessing either Knox, Nash, or Memphis? God I miss the bbq there...haha

Leave a comment:

• SgtScott31
    replied
    Originally posted by HEDP View Post
    They've had cities that gained right to carry and crime levels went down.

When the AWB ended crime also went down.

Look at Switzerland, one of the largest population of gun owners in the world and they have one of the lowest violent crime rates.

The crime rates have never been close in western Europe compared to the U.S. My mother is British and I've been over there on a couple of occasions. I know the handgun laws in England were far more strict than anything we have over here. Heck it takes years just to get a driver's license over there.

I think one has to be careful when drawing the conclusion that crime rates go down in correlation with any event. Most media outlets and others that cite research use the Uniform Crime Report to determine what's going on with the "crime rate." We know that this is simply FBI's statistical report of how many arrests LE agencies made. With the economy in the gutter and low manpower across the board, less arrests are made. Many came to the conclusion that the crime rate went down because the amount of arrests decreased. Obviously if you have less officers on the road, less arrests are going to be made. Closer examination shows that violent crimes have actually increased in many areas over the last couple of years. I know it has in my area. I'm not suggesting that this was the case involving studies of crime rates and handgun laws/carry, but I am very weary of how researchers interpret and compile the data to come to those conclusions. While in graduate school I took a research design class that forced us to do actual statisical surveys, compile the data, formulate the research, and interpret the results. It was an eye-opening experience.
    Last edited by SgtScott31; 06-09-2011, 10:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MD11pilot
    replied
    Originally posted by usamarshal View Post
    Your telling me you would walk around a Chicago neighborhood in the evening without being armed? Your either really brave or not so bright...haha
    Well in any part of Chicago you do have to be alert that's for sure, but according to the Chicago crime map there is no violent crime anywhere near my area plus the local news never reports on any violent crimes in the area.

Many parts of the city are very safe despite the media frenzy.

http://gis.chicagopolice.org/CLEARMap/startPage.htm
    Last edited by MD11pilot; 06-09-2011, 04:25 PM. Reason: grammer + added link

Leave a comment:

• usamarshal
    replied
    Agree'd

Originally posted by mdrdep View Post
    usmarshall, I'm from Los Angeles and I would prefer to see more people being allowed to carry. What I DON'T like is people making a spectacle out of carrying a gun and bringing negative light to the situation. I also do not like people who read a few things about the law, take them out of context and then believe they are an expert in the matter.

Leave a comment:

• mdrdep
    replied
    usmarshall, I'm from Los Angeles and I would prefer to see more people being allowed to carry. What I DON'T like is people making a spectacle out of carrying a gun and bringing negative light to the situation. I also do not like people who read a few things about the law, take them out of context and then believe they are an expert in the matter.

Leave a comment:

• HEDP
    replied
    Wasn't aware about Switzerland. Any other countries in Europe have gun laws similiar to the US?

No clue.

Leave a comment:

• usamarshal
    replied
    Wasn't aware about Switzerland. Any other countries in Europe have gun laws similiar to the US?

Look at Switzerland, one of the largest population of gun owners in the world and they have one of the lowest violent crime rates.

Leave a comment:

• usamarshal
    replied
    Originally posted by MD11pilot View Post
    +1, its not the magical solution for lowering crime down to low levels. As for Chicago my area is pretty safe even at night but I'm only speaking for the northwest side.
    Your telling me you would walk around a Chicago neighborhood in the evening without being armed? Your either really brave or not so bright...haha

Leave a comment:

• MD11pilot
    replied
    I don't believe allowing everyone to arm themselves in these cities would fix anything.
    +1, its not the magical solution for lowering crime down to low levels. As for Chicago my area is pretty safe even at night but I'm only speaking for the northwest side.

Leave a comment:

• HEDP
    replied
    Originally posted by SgtScott31 View Post
    No it's not a big shock, but I believe that if the gun laws were more lax the crime rates would still be the same. You're also dealing with many other factors that come into play when it comes to the violent crime and homicide rates. Other issues that could easily be brought into the mix include the population density, level of poverty, and gang problems. I don't believe allowing everyone to arm themselves in these cities would fix anything.

Leave a comment:

• SgtScott31
    replied
    I know there's studies that have been done, cities with stricter gun laws usually have higher violent crime rates.

And look at the cities, Chicago, DC......is it really a big shock?

No it's not a big shock, but I believe that if the gun laws were more lax the crime rates would still be the same. You're also dealing with many other factors that come into play when it comes to the violent crime and homicide rates. Other issues that could easily be brought into the mix include the population density, level of poverty, and gang problems. I don't believe allowing everyone to arm themselves in these cities would fix anything.

Leave a comment:

• HEDP
    replied
    Originally posted by SgtScott31 View Post
    Facts? Have actual studies to support that? Nope.

I know there's studies that have been done, cities with stricter gun laws usually have higher violent crime rates.

And look at the cities, Chicago, DC......is it really a big shock?

Leave a comment:

• SgtScott31
    replied
    Nah, just facts...why do you think cities like chicago, la, and dc have the highest gun crimes in the country? Its because of there strict gun laws. It is what it is.
    Facts? Have actual studies to support that? Nope.

Leave a comment:

• usamarshal
    replied
    Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
    wow... that has to be the worse bs Ive read in a long time....
    Nah, just facts...why do you think cities like chicago, la, and dc have the highest gun crimes in the country? Its because of there strict gun laws. It is what it is.

Leave a comment:

• orlandofed5-0
    replied
    From what I've observed from the posts the officers/individuals against lawful open carry are the ones that are from states and/or cities where there are strict gun laws and hence more gun crimes and/or violence. Hopefully these states/cities recognize that once a law abiding citizen, that aren't prior felons, have a right to defend oneselves. The gun crime will go down and the officers/individuals that once had a negative reflection of firearms will see it in a more positive light.
    wow... that has to be the worse bs Ive read in a long time....

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6038 users online. 329 members and 5709 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X