Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wasn't aware about Switzerland. Any other countries in Europe have gun laws similiar to the US?

Originally posted by HEDP View Post
    They've had cities that gained right to carry and crime levels went down.

When the AWB ended crime also went down.

Look at Switzerland, one of the largest population of gun owners in the world and they have one of the lowest violent crime rates.

Comment

• Originally posted by usamarshal View Post
      Wasn't aware about Switzerland. Any other countries in Europe have gun laws similiar to the US?

No clue.

Comment

• usmarshall, I'm from Los Angeles and I would prefer to see more people being allowed to carry. What I DON'T like is people making a spectacle out of carrying a gun and bringing negative light to the situation. I also do not like people who read a few things about the law, take them out of context and then believe they are an expert in the matter.
        Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
        Albert Einstein

Comment

• Agree'd

Originally posted by mdrdep View Post
          usmarshall, I'm from Los Angeles and I would prefer to see more people being allowed to carry. What I DON'T like is people making a spectacle out of carrying a gun and bringing negative light to the situation. I also do not like people who read a few things about the law, take them out of context and then believe they are an expert in the matter.

Comment

• Originally posted by usamarshal View Post
            Your telling me you would walk around a Chicago neighborhood in the evening without being armed? Your either really brave or not so bright...haha
            Well in any part of Chicago you do have to be alert that's for sure, but according to the Chicago crime map there is no violent crime anywhere near my area plus the local news never reports on any violent crimes in the area.

Many parts of the city are very safe despite the media frenzy.

http://gis.chicagopolice.org/CLEARMap/startPage.htm
            Last edited by MD11pilot; 06-09-2011, 05:25 PM. Reason: grammer + added link
            Life is what you make of it

Comment

• Originally posted by HEDP View Post
              They've had cities that gained right to carry and crime levels went down.

When the AWB ended crime also went down.

Look at Switzerland, one of the largest population of gun owners in the world and they have one of the lowest violent crime rates.

The crime rates have never been close in western Europe compared to the U.S. My mother is British and I've been over there on a couple of occasions. I know the handgun laws in England were far more strict than anything we have over here. Heck it takes years just to get a driver's license over there.

I think one has to be careful when drawing the conclusion that crime rates go down in correlation with any event. Most media outlets and others that cite research use the Uniform Crime Report to determine what's going on with the "crime rate." We know that this is simply FBI's statistical report of how many arrests LE agencies made. With the economy in the gutter and low manpower across the board, less arrests are made. Many came to the conclusion that the crime rate went down because the amount of arrests decreased. Obviously if you have less officers on the road, less arrests are going to be made. Closer examination shows that violent crimes have actually increased in many areas over the last couple of years. I know it has in my area. I'm not suggesting that this was the case involving studies of crime rates and handgun laws/carry, but I am very weary of how researchers interpret and compile the data to come to those conclusions. While in graduate school I took a research design class that forced us to do actual statisical surveys, compile the data, formulate the research, and interpret the results. It was an eye-opening experience.
              Last edited by SgtScott31; 06-09-2011, 11:15 PM.
              I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

• Hey SGT Scott, where at in TN do you work? I'm guessing either Knox, Nash, or Memphis? God I miss the bbq there...haha

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5469 users online. 363 members and 5106 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X