300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCW pocket carry incident at Movie Theater

I switched from a Springfield Champion 1911 to a SW Bodyguard .380 which I carry in my front or back pocket. When I sit it is obviously in my front pocket.

Well, I went to the Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides last night with a girl I'm dating and her brothers and sisters. (I'd give it a "C+", not worth seeing in theater in case you were wondering, it was also very long.)

So, her family is sitting in the 15th row and we are sitting up and behind them in the 16th row. Well, I notice that my SW Bodyguard is pointed right at the back of one of her brother's heads and that makes me extremely nervous.

Even though I know the gun won't go off unless it's 10lbs trigger is pulled I still go by the Gun Safety Rule of "Never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot."

So I reached into my pocket and flicked the safety on. I still felt nervous with the gun pointed at the back of his head, but it did ease my mind quite a bit.

What would you have done if you had been in this situation?

I ALWAYS carry IWB holster/safety on when off duty so it's not an issue for me.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by Smurfette
    Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
    Originally posted by DAL
    You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

Originally posted by FJDave View Post
      I ALWAYS carry IWB holster/safety on when off duty so it's not an issue for me.
      I agree. I'm IWB all the way. I just feel more comfortable that way. Pockets make me nervous even when I know there is "no chance" the weapon can go off. Also, I feel like it's easier for me to draw from that position should the need arise. I don't want to get into a situation where I need to draw and my weapon hangs on an errant string in my pocket etc.

Comment

Before anyone asks, it was not in a pocket holster.

Comment

Nothing against the pocket holsters. Just not my thing.

How do you like the Bodyguard? I've looked at it a few times but haven't had a chance to fire one yet.

Wouldn't mind selling the LCP and trading if it was truly that much better. However, I've not had that great of luck with S&W in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by BigW View Post
            Nothing against the pocket holsters. Just not my thing.

How do you like the Bodyguard? I've looked at it a few times but haven't had a chance to fire one yet.

Wouldn't mind selling the LCP and trading if it was truly that much better. However, I've not had that great of luck with S&W in the past.

I'd definitely get a SW Bodyguard .380. I love mine. Also, I ordered a Galco Pocket Holster for my SW.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...Bodyguard-.380

Originally posted by HEDP View Post

So, I finally got out to the range to test out my new SW Bodyguard .380.

What a great gun. It is extremely accurate for a pocket gun which is made possible by having real iron sights. The trigger is not too bad and the laser was spot on at 21' feet from the factory. I figure that it would shoot great at 25' feet also. This is fine for this gun's purposes and limitations. The gun is well made and durable. The gun has a bit of recoil but nothing anyone can't handle and not bad for a .380.

I shot 3 types of ammo through it, Remington, Winchester PDX1 (personal defense) and Herter's steel-cased ammo. Between my friend and I we fired over 107 rounds. I had no malfunctions with the good ammo (Remington and Winchester), however I had 8 failures to fire with the cheap Herter's. I suspect it cheap Herter's ammo and not the gun that caused the malfunction. Because the SW Bodyguard's hammer hits the firing pin every time you squeeze the trigger (a great feature), I simply squeezed the trigger again and the round fired. So for 8 of the Herter's rounds I needed to pull the trigger twice to make them fire.

21' feet, 7 shots using the laser.

21' feet, 6 shots with one hand.

21' feet, multiple magazines, my friend and I shooting.

I had some problems with the gun and had to send it to SW before I ever shot it. Their customer service is excellent. They emailed me a return label and when the gun came back 3 weeks later it had 2 new spare magazines with it.

I've carried this gun in my front and back pocket and love it. I also like the safety and the fact that I the slide locks back without a magazine installed.

Overall Score: A

I would give it an "A+", but because of the initial problems I cannot. I would highly recommend this gun to anyone out there as a carry gun.

I used to carry a Springfield 1911 Champion .45, but now carry this gun because I do not need a holster for it. I just throw it in my pocket and away I go, meaning I will carry more often then I ever have. (I did order a Galco pocket holster for it though, so it prints less.). I could not be happier with this gun and it is now one of my favorites and is my primary carry gun.

On a side note, my friend who shot with me and said he was fine with his SW Bodyguard .38, he now says his next gun will be the SW Bodyguard .380.

If you are looking for a pocket sized CCW, look no farther then the SW Bodyguard .380, this is the gun for you.

Comment

Before anyone asks, it was not in a pocket holster.

Holster is a must, especially when you carry it in your pocket. It helps to keep crap away from a gun and help it to stay in one spot, which will help you to get your gun out in smooth motion.

Comment

Well, HEDP, I guess you probably read my reply on the other forum, but I'll say it here as well. If I didn't have a pocket holster for it, I wouldn't be carrying it. In your situation, yes I would have put the safety on.
                There are basically two kinds of people in this world. Those that believe in the moon landing and those that don't.
                http://unistat76.blogspot.com/

Comment

Ummmm I too question why the safety wasn't on.
                  Life is what you make of it

Comment

Originally posted by MD11pilot View Post
                    Ummmm I too question why the safety wasn't on.

Because it is DA and I chose not too. Look at a Ruger LCP .380, similar gun, no built in safety.

Comment

Because it is DA and I chose not too. Look at a Ruger LCP .380, similar gun, no built in safety.

If your gun HAS A safety, and your putting it in your pocket. Why wouldn't you USE the safety?
                      Yes the Ruger LCP doesn't have a safety; bad for it. Your gun HAS a safety, and unless you were under the suspicion that you were about the get into a Matrix styled shootout in the movie theater why in gods name would you NOT have it on?

"Its your right", congratulations. It's also the right of your date's brother to not die from a gunshot wound to the head.

Yes, I know a CCW advocate friend that blew a hole in his leg with a KelTec. He was CCW, his 10 year old niece hugged him in the wrong spot and caused the weapon to fire. Hit him in the leg; and luckily didn't put that child in a coffin.

Comment

Actually, a double action auto is safe until you pull the trigger. Matter of fact many don't even have a safety buT A "decocking lever."

I never use a safety on mine either. No need. Accidental discharge from a double action semi is only in the movies
                        The All New
                        BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                        Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                        - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper View Post
                          Actually, a double action auto is safe until you pull the trigger. Matter of fact many don't even have a safety buT A "decocking lever."

I never use a safety on mine either. No need. Accidental discharge from a double action semi is only in the movies

Most of us carry duty guns without safeties and they are DOA.

The people who carry Beretta 92F's are taught to have the safeties off.

Comment

Some guns do not have a safety because

A. According to design, they do not NEED one
                            B. If it is on, then trying to pull the trigger and finding the safety on can be fatal

I am fine with a 1911 which has and needs a manual safety and a grip safety, or a DA first shot type pistol which by design does not need one...I feel better if it also has a grip safety like my XD does.

IMHO if a "hug in the wrong place" set off a Keltec, the trigger had to be 80% pulled already. That said, I am not a proponent of pocket carry.

Bill
                            Last edited by willbird; 05-21-2011, 07:38 AM.
                            Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

Is it just me, or is a 10 lb. trigger pull a bit, um, heavy?

Personally, I'm just as comfy with my Ruger P95 9mm, TP roughly between 3.5 and 6 lbs. pull, factory...
                              "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left..."
                              "I swear to God, I'm gonna pistol whip the next guy who says 'Shenanigans' !"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3895 users online. 246 members and 3649 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X