• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TSA forgets to tell Airport Police about Bomb Drill

Oops. Bomb at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport was only a drill

Article by: MARY LYNN SMITH , Star Tribune

Updated: May 18, 2011 - 8:29 PM

With their guns drawn, police surrounded a man who reportedly was trying to get through security at the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport with a bomb in a carry-on bag.

It was a drill, but the trouble was no one had told the cops, who thought it was real.
    "I think a lot of people were alarmed," Patrick Hogan, spokesman for the Metropolitan Airport Commission, said of last week's incident. "There is always a danger that someone could have gotten hurt. It was unfortunate."

The routine drill conducted by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) began about 2:40 p.m. last Thursday, when a man with a fake bomb in his bag attempted to get through the security at checkpoint 2, which is near the United, American and U.S. Airways airlines ticketing counters, Hogan said. The screener identified what looked to be an explosive device and immediately notified authorities.

The police quickly evacuated the ticketing area and mall area, and with their guns drawn, confronted the man, Hogan said.

Within seconds, TSA officials notified police that the bomb was fake and the incident was merely a drill to test the response of screeners and the communication system. For security reasons, Hogan declined to say how many officers responded to the incident.

TSA spokeswoman Carrie Harmon said the agency routinely conducts thousands of covert tests each year at airports across the country. Last week's test at the Minneapolis-St. Paul airport ended up being a little too real because of "miscommunication" between the TSA and police, she said.

"TSA continues to review this incident but took immediate steps to ensure the correct procedures will be followed in the future," Harmon said.

Mary Lynn Smith • 612-673-4788

http://www.startribune.com/local/min...122200374.html

Gotta love that word "miscommunication". TSA simply dropped the ball......once more.

Comment

This ranks up their with that jackwagon who conducted his own hostage drill at the hospital
      I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

That could have gone bad in so many ways. They (TSA)are lucky that who ever had that fake bomb followed directions well.
        MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
          when a man with a fake bomb in his bag attempted to get through the security at checkpoint 2
          I wonder how many times he got through before it was caught.
          The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Originally posted by jcioccke
          After I hit it, I would be disgusted with her

Comment

Dear TSA:

I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Here we go again with the TSA doing as they do best.... Screwing up. When is the FED Govt. gonna really start doing something right? My vote is never.
              "I'm sorry, did you see my care face? Because I'm pretty sure I didn't show it to you becuase I DON'T care. Have a nice day. "

Comment

I won't go into details, but I can't say it hasn't happened at my location....
                I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

I don't know who I despise more... TSA or the IRS

Comment

I don't know who I despise more... TSA or the IRS
                    They both seem to catch you with your pants down...
                    "You don't got to be Stonewall Jackson to know you don't want to fight in a basement." Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Originally posted by SigSauerDawg View Post
                      oh so true LOL

Comment

Originally posted by SigSauerDawg View Post
                        ....or their hands down your pants (one way or another)....
                        sigpic
                        Originally posted by Smurfette
                        Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
                        Originally posted by DAL
                        You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

Originally posted by FJDave View Post
                          ....or their hands down your pants (one way or another)....
                          Lucky you because I usually just a royal p hucking

Comment

Wow, I cannot help but think that if a high school diploma was required to hire onto TSA that there would be less of this going on.

Bill
                            Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

Do they really not require a high school diploma???
                              "You don't got to be Stonewall Jackson to know you don't want to fight in a basement." Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6270 users online. 331 members and 5939 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X