300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chaplain Keppy View Post
    One of my guys was found sleeping by one of his shift-mates. The guy who found him poured his milk-shake on the wind-shield, put the cup on his antenna, drove away, and then called him and woke him up.

He got the point about his own personal security. There was no need to take a picture and send it to anyone.
    While doing something like that to someone I know, I would never even think about doing it to a cop I didn't know personally. Knowing my luck I'd get caught.
    "I'm sorry, did you see my care face? Because I'm pretty sure I didn't show it to you becuase I DON'T care. Have a nice day. "

Comment

We had a kid fall asleep during class when I was in HS. The teacher told us to very quietly get up and leave the room leaving the kid in the room. The teacher then made a very loud noise while outside and the kid got up, grabbed his bag and started to leave the room thinking it was passing period. LOL.
      "I'm sorry, did you see my care face? Because I'm pretty sure I didn't show it to you becuase I DON'T care. Have a nice day. "

Comment

Originally posted by chad7613 View Post
        We had a kid fall asleep during class when I was in HS. The teacher told us to very quietly get up and leave the room leaving the kid in the room. The teacher then made a very loud noise while outside and the kid got up, grabbed his bag and started to leave the room thinking it was passing period. LOL.
        I was in a HS class where the teacher blew in the sleeping kid's ear and whispered sweetly, "Timmy! It's time to get up!"
        We do not all come to religion over the wandering years,
        but sooner or later we all get to meet God. -- Edward Conlon

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain Keppy View Post
          I was in a HS class where the teacher blew in the sleeping kid's ear and whispered sweetly, "Timmy! It's time to get up!"
          One of my old teachers had an old hard plastic suit case and a broken golf club. When kids would fall asleep he would grab the club and case, walk to just behind the student and start beating the case. It was so loud that the teacher from the room next door would walk over to see what was going on sometimes to see the whole room laughing with the exception of the formerly sleeping student who was as red as could be.

Comment

I have not read all the posts but police are just people like the rest of us, glad he didn't get fired and the department did not say what the discipline was, so my guess it was appropriate, he was told not to do that again and maybe got a letter in his file.

If I see an officer sleeping in his or her car, I may look at them and if their color is norman, I will leave, if I think he or she may be in a medical emergency I may knock on the window and ask if they are okay. If they said yes I will say I am sorry to have bothered them.

As for taking photos to report anyone in public service; can they say they have never done anything wrong at their jobs? Can anyone in any job say they have never taken a long break, left early, taken a nap, played on the internet, or done anything they should not do? I know I cant.
            It's not that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so. Ronald Reagan

TSA, I would rather be felt up than blown up.

Comment

Originally posted by Justsaying View Post
              I have not read all the posts but police are just people like the rest of us, glad he didn't get fired and the department did not say what the discipline was, so my guess it was appropriate, he was told not to do that again and maybe got a letter in his file.

If I see an officer sleeping in his or her car, I may look at them and if their color is norman, I will leave, if I think he or she may be in a medical emergency I may knock on the window and ask if they are okay. If they said yes I will say I am sorry to have bothered them.

As for taking photos to report anyone in public service; can they say they have never done anything wrong at their jobs? Can anyone in any job say they have never taken a long break, left early, taken a nap, played on the internet, or done anything they should not do? I know I cant.
              Knowing some of the officer safety issues posed to the sleeping officer I don't think I would just leave them sleeping. I would probably knock on the window and ask them if they were OK. Once they responded I would leave.

Comment

Originally posted by chad7613 View Post
                Knowing some of the officer safety issues posed to the sleeping officer I don't think I would just leave them sleeping. I would probably knock on the window and ask them if they were OK. Once they responded I would leave.
                Thanks, I will do that. I will never take a photo and report them, we are all human and none of is are perfect.
                It's not that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so. Ronald Reagan

TSA, I would rather be felt up than blown up.

Comment

Originally posted by Justsaying View Post
                  Thanks, I will do that. I will never take a photo and report them, we are all human and none of is are perfect.
                  It's better to wake them up so that they're alert then to leave them sleeping. I couldn't even imagine how I would feel if I saw an officer sleeping in a parking lot and left them only to find out that after I left them sleeping in the lot they got killed by some POS who found them after I did.

Comment

Officer dozing off on 2nd or 3rd watch, it happens. Lately there have been more than a few air traffic controllers who've had the same problem.
                    Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

It is not rignt to sleep on duty. However, cops get volun-told to work all kinds of crazy shifts where its painful and sometimes impossible to stay awake at times. Ive been there.

Try working your regular 12 hour shift from 7am to 7pm. Thats not so bad. But due to man power issues we are forbidden to speak of there is noone to cover night shift, so they pull people from days shift rotation. Ok now you work your long weekend. Fri, Sat, and Sun. On the last workday they want you to work half your shift sunday morning , then come back in at 2am-7am that morning to work your second half. AND dont forget you have court that morning at 9am, but doesnt start until 1030am. I scheduled a ton of cases for this day unaware I was probabily going to be up for 30 hours taking non stop calls. Thats happend to me once. I vaugly remember what all happend or the things I did or said in court that day. I was out of it. I remember the ride home was scary. I had to take like an hour nap in my squad car to get enough energy to drive home.

Something similar happend to my ex roommate who is a cop. I heard him pull in our driveway around 7am. I get up around noon and start walking around and cant find my roomy anywhere. I look outside and he is drooling against the window, KNOCKED out asleep. He fell asleep approving reports on the computer. He worked 12 hours, 4 hour break to keep in policy, then another 12.
                      Last edited by DeputySC; 05-19-2011, 11:41 PM.

Comment

OH, but if the air traffic controllers are sleeping, lets give them more breaks, shorter shifts, a buttload of money, and hell, while we're at it, lets just build them a big old bed to take shift naps in.
                        I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Observations:

1. Is rapping on the car window of a sleeping officer a good idea?

2. I did 2 years as a night auditor at a hotel. Your body never gets used to that type of schedule. (9PM to 6 AM).

Overnight anything is hell on a person. But overnight road police? That has to be incredibly tough. I know this guy shouldn't have been asleep, but no way would I crucify him for it. 5 Hour Energy. It works.
                          Last edited by JJHunsacker; 05-20-2011, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Making a habit of it is definitely wrong.

I worked 16-18 hours a day 6 days a week for 5 years. If it was football season, add in another 6 hours on the 7th day. I had zero life. Only time I saw family was if they came to visit while I was working.

I ultimately had to turn a storage room into a private office for myself so I could put a couch in there for me to rest. Some times I was so tired I couldn't even make the 5 minute drive home.

Comment

i've never slept on duty & thankfully haven't yet been in a situation where i was so sleep deprived that i couldn't stay awake during shift. one of the more veteran officers at my dept switched from midnights to day shift because he began having difficulty staying awake during the middle of shift as he got older.

in any event, i have a friend who's now retired from a large well known pd in southern california. he told me of times when he and other officers would remove the light bars off the squads while the officers inside were sound asleep lol

Comment

While I don't think it's good to be asleep on duty, I know everyone who is criticizing him in the media has no idea what it's like to be in his position. My guess is he was overworked and dosed off accidentally. I'd like to ask the guy with the camera why it's OK for the officer to die protecting him, but such a big photo-worthy deal when he doses off after staying up all night for the sake of everyone in town.

I remember hearing about what a FTO did to a rookie a long time ago. The rookie fell asleep in the passenger seat so the FTO drove his patrol car to a boat loading ramp, positioning the passenger door facing the water. He then started to yell about a suspect running on foot and turned on the lights. Apparently the rookie ended up running pretty far out into the water before realizing what had happened.
                                --In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3142 users online. 168 members and 2974 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X