300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Officer Disciplined After Admitting to Sleeping on Duty

I purposely waited until the investigation was over before posting this.............

I am actually surprised with the comments of the PIO about being worried that the officer put himself in a bad position......................

Photo is on the website..

http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/Cedar...122230629.html

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa - A Cedar Rapids police officer who was caught sleeping on the job has been disciplined, authorities said Thursday.

The officer, who has not been publicly identified, admitted that he dozed off in his squad car on the morning of May 10 after finishing a burglary report, Sgt. Cristy Hamblin said. He was photographed by a pest exterminator, and the image was sent to police and local media.

Police would not say what type of discipline the officer received, but said he was not fired and remains with the department. Hamblin said the disciplinary action, which can range from a verbal reprimand to termination, was taken Wednesday.

Hamblin said the department’s biggest concern was that the officer put himself in a vulnerable position. She declined to say if the officer had any previous infractions.

The officer was not on a break when he was caught sleeping, Hamblin said.

“There were other factors involved, but it is irrelevant,” Hamblin said. “Officers aren’t allowed to sleep on duty.”

The officer was spotted around 6:30 a.m. in the parking lot of Knox Presbyterian Church, 1525 Hollywood Blvd. NE. Joe Stutler, 47, of rural Cedar Rapids, said he was delivering breakfast to his fiancée at the church daycare when a pest exterminator showed him the photo.

“He seemed a little bit upset that it was a waste of taxpayer dollars,” Stutler said.

Stutler said the exterminator told him he woke the officer up after taking the photo, and the officer drove off. The officer was gone when Stutler arrived, but his fiancée saw the police car when she arrived at the church, he said.

The man who took the photo was identified and interviewed but asked to remain anonymous, police said.

Hamblin said the officer was in the wrong, but she downplayed the idea that it could seen as an embarrassment to the department.

“Anyone that works the overnight hours, or an offset of your regularly scheduled sleep pattern, understands,” Hamblin said.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

It's amazing this day and age how people are. Really the first thought is "let me take a picture and send it to the media and his boss" Regardless of what you may think I would have just kept it moving and not thought twice about it.

I don't know maybe that's just me but I wouldn't want to jam anyone up. I remember working construction and going to school. I would nap on breaks in the truck all the time. Not sure why but this story annoyed me.
    MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

A pest exterminator is out and about at 6:30 AM? The guy shouldn't be sleeping, but I had no idea Orkin or whoever got such an early start.

Comment

Should have been a fireman, those guys get to sleep!! :P
        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve in PA View Post
          Should have been a fireman, those guys get to sleep!! :P
          I think about this everytime I drive by the firehouse at night.........or in the daytime when they're outside grilling.......everyone loves firemen......
          I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Originally posted by jcioccke View Post
            It's amazing this day and age how people are. Really the first thought is "let me take a picture and send it to the media and his boss" Regardless of what you may think I would have just kept it moving and not thought twice about it.
            ^^^this...what if the cop had a heart attack or something???
            Ive fallen asleep before...and its scary when you wake up and realize whathad happened....it happens...coffee was my friend on mids, as if the caffeine didnt do it then having to pee every 30 minutes would.
            Hopefully the exterminator makes a "mistake" and is jammed up for it...he better go quietly, too
            "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
            The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
            sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
            Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

The pest exterminator can kiss my arse. I'd like to see him work the shifts we work. I routinely do 16 hour shifts and have pulled 27 hour days before.

I've caught my co workers sleeping in security in the past. Did I tear him a new one? No, I told him to go get some coffee or go take a 30 minute break, and that if MY apartment got broken into, he and I were going to have words. That's it.

Little pee-rick.
              I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy8116 View Post
                I've caught my co workers sleeping in security in the past. Did I tear him a new one? No, I told him to go get some coffee or go take a 30 minute break.
                I've caught cops sleeping in the past. Ask any sleep expert, even after a full nights sleep and years on night shift, the human body just isn't made to be up during midnight hours. So I can't get too mad, the couple times I've nabbed a partner sleeping in the squad car, I tell them to go to the station where they will be safe.

Next time I catch the Orkin man speeding, I'm probably not going to be too keen on giving a break

Comment

I have ridden along with the late shift-- I don't know how y'all do it, seriously.

One of the late-shift guys in my department said, "You've never fallen asleep when you've been riding with me, have you?"

I answered, "Let me put it this way: some of the chaplain's long, thoughtful silences are more thoughtful than others!"
                  We do not all come to religion over the wandering years,
                  but sooner or later we all get to meet God. -- Edward Conlon

Comment

Big props to the PIO. Not many departments would say that.
                    For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

There has been an issue with the atlanta transit employees (MARTA) sleeping on the job... I believe a few have been fired. The reasoning is that if you're sleeping you're unable to do the job that you're being paid to do.

I would think firing would be inappropriate unless there was a pattern of such behavior. If it's something that just happened and you own up to it and make sure it won't happen again, then problem solved in my book. I know of officers who worked their shift (3-11pm), immediately went to their off duty gig until 4am, got back up for another off duty gig directing traffic at a church, and then going back for their regular shift...

Comment

Originally posted by jannino View Post
                        There has been an issue with the atlanta transit employees (MARTA) sleeping on the job... I believe a few have been fired. The reasoning is that if you're sleeping you're unable to do the job that you're being paid to do.

I would think firing would be inappropriate unless there was a pattern of such behavior. If it's something that just happened and you own up to it and make sure it won't happen again, then problem solved in my book. I know of officers who worked their shift (3-11pm), immediately went to their off duty gig until 4am, got back up for another off duty gig directing traffic at a church, and then going back for their regular shift...
                        Don't forget the times we get ordered to work past our shift, court etc. I know the media doesn't actually care about that though.
                        For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

I recall a incident years ago where a veteran Deputy was caught sleeping on duty. At the time we had a Captain that was notorius for napping in his office with his door open. So one day both of us are working the desk and the watch Sgt. tells the Deputy to go see the admin Lt. as he is going to receive a written reprimand for sleeping on duty. The Deputy proceeds down the hall and as he passes the Captains office he sees the boss is sound asleep with his feet up on his desk, kicked back in his big leather chair..

The Deputy comes back to the desk and grabs the Polaroid camera, goes back to the Captains office, and takes a picture of the Captain sound asleep, he waits for the picture to develop and then goes to the Lt. and tells him, " If your going to write me up, what are you going to do about this" showing the photo to the Lt.

I think the entire station heard the Lt. yelling " Get the F--- out of my office.. Needless to say there was no reprimand...
                          Retired LASD

Comment

Far too many people think that just because a cop makes a mistake that it is a huge deal. I wonder if Mr. Orkin has ever fallen asleep at work or at school? Cops working 2nd and 3rd shift have some of the toughest hours especially when you add in time spent in court during what their normal sleep time would be, spending some time with their kids/wife/husband during the day before they leave for work/school etc. I don't blame the cop, who knows what was going on before his shift?

I caught a Sgt. sleeping in his patrol car one night when I walked up to give him some info. He had this look on his face like Oh, @#$%. I realized he ran the senario through his head of a bad guy walking up on him while he dozed. I gave him the info and told him to have a good night. There's no reason to make a big deal out of it. Did I even think of taking a picture and sending it to the media or his department? NO!!! What's the point of doing all that?
                            "I'm sorry, did you see my care face? Because I'm pretty sure I didn't show it to you becuase I DON'T care. Have a nice day. "

Comment

One of my guys was found sleeping by one of his shift-mates. The guy who found him poured his milk-shake on the wind-shield, put the cup on his antenna, drove away, and then called him and woke him up.

He got the point about his own personal security. There was no need to take a picture and send it to anyone.
                              We do not all come to religion over the wandering years,
                              but sooner or later we all get to meet God. -- Edward Conlon

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3328 users online. 174 members and 3154 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X