Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athens GA pastor faces terrorism charges in Jamaica over .22 round in luggage

http://www.ajc.com/news/athens-man-may-face-950063.html

[IMG]In this undated photo, Steven Carter, 26, of Athens is shown with his wife, Erin, and their child Delaney. Carter, a minister at The Church at Southside in Athens, is being held in a Jamaican jail after airport security found a bullet in his luggage.[/IMG]

Athens man may face terror charge in Jamaica after bullet found in bag

A vacation in Jamaica for a Georgia couple turned into a nightmare Tuesday when the husband was arrested at the airport after security officials found ammunition in his bag.

Steven Carter, 26, spent the night in an open jail cell with several hundred other men, fearing that he could face several years in prison on a terrorism charge, his employer told the AJC Wednesday.

Carter is a preacher at The Church at Southside in Athens. The pastor there, Jeff Williams, said Carter's 22-year-old wife, Erin, called him in a panic Tuesday night. She told him that her husband was detained after customs officials found a .22-caliber bullet in his bag.

"It was stuck in the seams of the bag," Williams said. "They don't know how it got there. Steve doesn't own a gun."

Erin Carter told Williams that her husband expects to be charged with possession of illegal ammunition and terrorism or terroristic threats. Williams said an attorney advised the couple that the ammo charge would result in only a fine but that Steven Carter could face at least seven years in prison if convicted of the terror charge.

Williams said he'd contacted members of Congress, including Georgia Rep. Paul Broun, their representative in Athens. Broun's office had no immediate comment when the AJC called Wednesday. Williams also said Erin Carter had spoken with Sen. Johnny Isakson.

"We have been contacted by the family and are working to try to help our constituent," Isakson spokeswoman Lauren Culbertson told the AJC.

Williams said Carter has owned the bag most of his life but that he hadn't used it in five years. He said he was told that the last time Carter fired a gun was when he was about 10 and went squirrel hunting.

"We're very much concerned with his safety," Williams said.

Jamaica doesn't mess around with weapons stuff. That's pretty much the LAST place you want to get caught with a bullet. It's a bad situation, and it sucks. But it's their law and, knowingly or not, he broke it. I hope it works out for him.

(Will they give him a haircut in jail?)
    Lt. Col. Grace - "Lt. Murphey, why are you all dressed up to mack on the ladies?"
    Me - "Sir, you just answered your own question."

Comment

Sounds more like a school district than a country with any common sense.
      Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

Originally posted by Murf425 View Post
        Jamaica doesn't mess around with weapons stuff. That's pretty much the LAST place you want to get caught with a bullet. It's a bad situation, and it sucks. But it's their law and, knowingly or not, he broke it. I hope it works out for him.

(Will they give him a haircut in jail?)
        This is why I stay out of certain countries (and states.) I have no desire to get jammed up for something so stupid, not to mention not having access to my primary means of self-protection in a very dangerous country.

I've been on mini-mission trips before, and you are totally at the whim and mercy of a system you don't understand and in which you probably don't have a lot of rights.

I have a cousin that is a part time missionary and a full time cop that regularly goes to places like Egypt, Pakistan, and India. I don't know how he does it except by the Grace of God!
        There are basically two kinds of people in this world. Those that believe in the moon landing and those that don't.
        http://unistat76.blogspot.com/

Comment

I love how the news report keeps stating that he's a minister, like that make the slightest difference in the case.
          Ignore List : Bearcat357, Blackavar

Comment

Originally posted by Buffaloboy View Post
            I love how the news report keeps stating that he's a minister, like that make the slightest difference in the case.
            That's 'cause members of the clergy never do anything illegal or nefarious.

Oh...wait.
            Lt. Col. Grace - "Lt. Murphey, why are you all dressed up to mack on the ladies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Buffaloboy View Post
              As a whole, I feel a majority of ministers mean the best.

Comment

http://www.ajc.com/news/athens-man-r...om-951354.html

Athens man released from Jamaican jail

An Athens man who was jailed during a vacation in Jamaica this week will be released, his wife said Thursday.

Steven Carter, 26, spent two nights in jail, fearing that he could face several years in prison on a terrorism charge. But a judge freed him from jail at an 11 a.m. hearing Thursday, said Erin Carter, his wife.

"We have to wait 24 hours and then we can come home," she said in a brief telephone interview from the jail.

The couple had traveled to Jamaica to vacation at a resort in Montego Bay. While trying to depart at the airport Tuesday, they were stopped by an inspector who found a .22-caliber bullet in Steven Carter's bag, said a friend, Jeff Williams.

Williams said Carter was detained and was facing terrorism and ammunition charges. The terrorism charge might have brought at least seven years in prison, Williams said. He said Carter had relayed through his wife that he hadn't fire a gun since his squirrel-hunting days as a child and that he'd owned the bag at least that long. Williams said Carter didn't know how the ammunition had gotten into the bag.

U.S. Sen Johnny Isakson worked to help the Carters, but it's unclear what led to Thursday's decision.

A reporter in Jamaica, Rohan Powell of Radio Jamaica, told the AJC that the hearing resulted in the granting of release on bail.

"He has been offered bail in the sum of 250,000 Jamaican dollars," Powell said. That is equivalent to about $3,000.

But Erin Carter said the $3,000 was actually a "fine."

Comment

I'm glad the police in Jamaica found the .22 calibre bullet in his bag. The nation is now saved and it is a much safer place then it was before.

Comment

Just tell them it's a new type of joint and see if they try to light up.
                    I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbonfiberfoot View Post
                      "He has been offered bail in the sum of 250,000 Jamaican dollars," Powell said. That is equivalent to about $3,000.
                      And people say the dollar's weak. ;-)

Comment

I see Jamacias point, a bullet today, bay of pigs tomorrow, then an Iraq invansion by next week. They were able to stop it early. But seriously, I travel every few weeks, I make sure I never put my gun in my lugage and I check all of my bags.
                        Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.

We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

Comment

Good job by the TSA for catching it when he boarded his flight to Jamaica.

What happens when the US catches someone with ammo in their bag?

Comment

He's back in the US.

http://www.ajc.com/news/athens-man-r...to-952659.html

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6008 users online. 303 members and 5705 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X