Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am at a loss on how to title this.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Originally posted by FJDave View Post
    Why do some people, especially other cops, have to pizz all over someone's beliefs? Why can't they just let a (feel-good) post go without crapping in it?
    x2. As soon as anyone mentions God, the atheists become unglued and can't help but attack. So much for being "open-minded".
    \

    Comment


    • #77
      Well Tom, the usual heters here have crapped all over your feel good thread. A great story.

      Thank you for sharing it. And thank you for being the kind of man you are.

      Stick to the PMs. There's no hate there.
      The All New
      2013
      BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
      Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
      - M1Garand

      (any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)



      Comment


      • #78
        I'm not an atheist.

        You have to expect comments from a thread like this. You would get the same comments if someone created a thread about their toothbrush being in a different spot every day and they believe it was done by a ghost. You would make comments if someone came on here and talked about a sick relative and proceeded to blame God for everything.

        Comments are ok. It's when people resort to personal attacks against others for not sharing the same beliefs. You can't defend a religion by attacking the other person.

        I appreciate the story that was shared. I think PMs would have been the wrong place because he would have just been sharing with people who would agree which is nice, but this is a nice story for people who are on the cuff about things like this or needed a reminder for themselves...

        Comment


        • #79
          Originally posted by FJDave View Post
          Why do some people, especially other cops, have to pizz all over someone's beliefs? Why can't they just let a (feel-good) post go without crapping in it?
          this^^^^^
          "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
          The Tick

          "Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
          sanitizer

          "and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
          Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

          Comment


          • #80
            I think it is very difficult for any of us to share what we do or don't believe in, because it is almost inevitable that someone will take it as a challenge or an offense, whether or not it was intended as such.

            Faith is such a deeply personal thing. Loss of faith is such a deeply personal thing. These are often not matters folks can take lightly, because it may be the one thing someone has to hang on to, that gives them hope-- or it may be someone's deepest wound.

            I have often tried to have discussions about faith, God, spirituality, religion, etc., on-line, and while it has sometimes led to a great discussion, it has often made me sorry I even tried. And I do not very often initiate such discussions anymore, because I have come to feel that, whatever my intent is in doing so, they seem to do more harm than good.

            It is a great pity-- they are fascinating subjects to me, and it seems like such a wonderful thing, to have access to so many viewpoints.

            For the record, let me say that my own sharing in this particular thread has not been to tell anyone what to believe, or to dismiss what anyone believes. It is my own take on the subject, nothing more than that, and nothing less than that. I appreciate that folks have tried to share their take on it, and I appreciate that the story was shared in the first place.
            We do not all come to religion over the wandering years,
            but sooner or later we all get to meet God. -- Edward Conlon

            Comment


            • #81
              ...Can't we all just get along?


              On a serious note, if I ever experienced something like this (a force preventing me from doing something bad), I would be in disbelief (most likely very freaked out) as your friend was. When did this entire thing happen? Recently?
              Last edited by NextGenOfc; 05-19-2011, 08:30 PM.

              Comment


              • #82
                That gave me the chills. Powerful stuff.

                Comment


                • #83
                  I believe it, no doubt about it. But for those who are atheist or who simply believe that there was no spiritual intervention here, why not just keep quiet instead of stirring crap?
                  "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
                  -Chris Rock

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    I wouldn't worry too much about the opinion of Stephen Hawking - I heard somewhere that God doesn't believe in him either.

                    Pujolsfan, that is an amazing story and I have no problem believing every word of it. I am not a person of particularly strong faith, except in the faith that humans are capable of great evil and great good. I do believe, though, that each of us has the freedom to choose our path in this world (with the important exceptions of those with severe mental illness or incapacity, groups that those in law enforcement encounter all too often).

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
                      x2. As soon as anyone mentions God, the atheists become unglued and can't help but attack. So much for being "open-minded".
                      Originally posted by GangGreen712 View Post
                      I believe it, no doubt about it. But for those who are atheist or who simply believe that there was no spiritual intervention here, why not just keep quiet instead of stirring crap?

                      So it's perfectly OK for you to say "It was God, bless him" and for an astounding number of people to reply in the same way but when one or two disagree and post a counterargument or possibility it's considered "pizzing on the feel good thread." You're kidding me right? Why can't you just ignore him and let it be? Why must the non-believers constantly be the ones who are in the wrong?

                      You can dance around it all you like and use fancy versions of "Sh1t happens" with your "Works in mysterious ways" excuse but the simple fact of the matter is that a young child was raped... associating God with it in a positive way is scary. It's the same thing as people who will look at a small child who survives a plane crash and call it the "hand of God" or "a miracle" while ignoring the 300 other passengers who died in the plane crash that God allowed to happen.

                      Have your feel good thread. Fine. But don't get mad when people disagree.
                      I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
                      - Mark Twain

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Originally posted by ArmyDiver View Post
                        .....

                        You can dance around it all you like and use fancy versions of "Sh1t happens" with your "Works in mysterious ways" excuse but the simple fact of the matter is that a young child was raped... associating God with it in a positive way is scary. It's the same thing as people who will look at a small child who survives a plane crash and call it the "hand of God" or "a miracle" while ignoring the 300 other passengers who died in the plane crash that God allowed to happen.

                        .....
                        You bring up a very interesting point.

                        Many years ago, there was a man who had survived over 40 life threatening incidents. Although he had been injured in some of these threats, he never became disabled and healed from each one. As a result, he believed it was divine intervention that was protecting him because God had a purpose for him to continue living.

                        Were these miracles granted by God? Some might believe that is so. But what about you? Maybe if I gave you some hints about who this person was, that might influence your decision. This very lucky man ruled Germany between 1933 and 1945, had the initials of A.H., and was a major factor in starting World War 2.

                        What have I learned from this? Don't be too quick to label an unexplainable event as a miracle from God.
                        Last edited by BAinCJ; 05-20-2011, 10:19 PM.
                        Living it one day at a time.

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Originally posted by 1042 Trooper View Post
                          Great post.
                          Greater God

                          He's held me back many times. And pushed me forward too.
                          I agree!

                          There were a couple of times when I was held back from my original desire.................and pushed to do the right thing
                          "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"


                          The real deal

                          Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            I think the reason people are reacting negatively is that this discussion is not coming about because someone posted a question and asked what we all think, but because someone tried to share a story about an experience that was a spiritual eye-opener for the person it happened to.

                            If I post a question like "Where is God when evil is happening?" then I should expect everyone to answer out of his or her experience and belief, and I do not have any call to criticize a response unless it gets personally attacking of others.

                            But if I post a spiritual experience of my own life and tell you what it meant to me, it is very frustrating to be told I'm wrong about what it meant, that someone who is not living my life, who did not have the experience, knows the truth of it better than I.

                            Pujol's friend related an experience that was important to him spiritually, and shared what it meant to him. No one has to adopt his faith because he shared it, but neither do they need to undermine his. He tried to share something that he experienced as his God helping him and helping this child, and others turned it to an attack on his God for not doing enough for the child, not doing enough for everyone else in the world who suffers. That is what feels uncalled-for.
                            We do not all come to religion over the wandering years,
                            but sooner or later we all get to meet God. -- Edward Conlon

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              But if I post a spiritual experience of my own life and tell you what it meant to me, it is very frustrating to be told I'm wrong about what it meant, that someone who is not living my life, who did not have the experience, knows the truth of it better than I.

                              Pujol's friend related an experience that was important to him spiritually, and shared what it meant to him. No one has to adopt his faith because he shared it, but neither do they need to undermine his. He tried to share something that he experienced as his God helping him and helping this child, and others turned it to an attack on his God for not doing enough for the child, not doing enough for everyone else in the world who suffers. That is what feels uncalled-for.
                              +100000000000

                              I agree 100% You summed it up correctly Chaplin and I agree with you 100%
                              MDRDEP:

                              There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Originally posted by Chaplain Keppy View Post
                                I think the reason people are reacting negatively is that this discussion is not coming about because someone posted a question and asked what we all think, but because someone tried to share a story about an experience that was a spiritual eye-opener for the person it happened to.

                                If I post a question like "Where is God when evil is happening?" then I should expect everyone to answer out of his or her experience and belief, and I do not have any call to criticize a response unless it gets personally attacking of others.

                                But if I post a spiritual experience of my own life and tell you what it meant to me, it is very frustrating to be told I'm wrong about what it meant, that someone who is not living my life, who did not have the experience, knows the truth of it better than I.

                                Pujol's friend related an experience that was important to him spiritually, and shared what it meant to him. No one has to adopt his faith because he shared it, but neither do they need to undermine his. He tried to share something that he experienced as his God helping him and helping this child, and others turned it to an attack on his God for not doing enough for the child, not doing enough for everyone else in the world who suffers. That is what feels uncalled-for.
                                Nail head, meet hammer. Nailed it 100%, said in better words than I could have written.
                                sigpic
                                Originally posted by Smurfette
                                Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
                                Originally posted by DAL
                                You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 5436 users online. 331 members and 5105 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X