Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I swear Officer it's just cheese and it's not mine!!!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I swear Officer it's just cheese and it's not mine!!!

Antonio Hernandez spent four days in jail before tests showed he was carrying food, not drugs.
    Associated Press

ASHEVILLE, N.C. — An enzyme found in cheese triggered false drug test results that led North Carolina deputies to think a man with 91 pounds of tortilla dough was actually carrying that much cocaine, the sheriff said.

Antonio Hernandez spent four days in an Asheville jail this month before tests by a state lab showed he was carrying food, not drugs.

A Buncombe County deputy stopped Hernandez on May 1 and found what turned out to be a mix of cheese, shrimp and tortilla and tamale dough in his truck. A portable kit used by deputies changed colors, indicating the mixture was illegal drugs.

Sheriff Van Duncan told The Asheville Citizen-Times he didn't know until this case that some foods, like cheese, can give false positives on field drug tests. He plans to have deputies talk to the company that makes the tests.
    MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

I can't believe the officers would not have been trained on nearly every potential false-positive, especially when something as common as cheese could trigger one.

Comment

I would think it would be damn near impossible to teach someone about every potential false positive, especially one that apparently no one has encountered before.

Comment

I posted this for humor- I should have known
        MDRDEP:

Comment

What's this? Cheese. And this? That's cheese as well sir..... and that? Cheese.

and if you don't know that reference, you haven't sat through Sascha Cohen's work....

Comment

That combination probably stunk so bad I would say it was meth before I thought it was cocaine.

I'm sure the subject of this article will show up here to provide a little whine with that cheese though
            Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
            Albert Einstein

Comment

What recourse does Antonio Hernandez have other than making lunch?!?
              The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

^^^

He get's Street Cred
                MDRDEP:

Comment

Lol, classic.

Comment

Packer Fan better start carrying the number of a bailbondsman.
                    This Space For Rent

Comment

Originally posted by jcioccke View Post
                      ^^^

He get's Street Cred
                      LOL.

Seriously though, what happens when someone is arrested, spends time in jail and it turns out he didn't have drugs? Not meaning he went to court and was found not-guilty, but it turns out the underlying basis of the drug arrest was wrong? An apology? Reimbursement for time lost from work? I fully support the cops reasons for the pull-over (failure to stop, suspicion of DUI) and the drug arrest in this case, and the test kit gave them a reasonable belief he had drugs but how does the DA or department handle someone concerning the "innocent" part in cases such as this? I honestly don't know the answer, hence the question. Thanks guys/gals!
                      The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Just another reason to stay away from cheese!

World_So_Cold

Comment

Originally posted by eyesopen View Post
                          LOL.

Seriously though, what happens when someone is arrested, spends time in jail and it turns out he didn't have drugs? Not meaning he went to court and was found not-guilty, but it turns out the underlying basis of the drug arrest was wrong? An apology? Reimbursement for time lost from work? I fully support the cops reasons for the pull-over (failure to stop, suspicion of DUI) and the drug arrest in this case, and the test kit gave them a reasonable belief he had drugs but how does the DA or department handle someone concerning the "innocent" part in cases such as this? I honestly don't know the answer, hence the question. Thanks guys/gals!
                          The standard for arrest is probable cause not absolute certainty. While things like this happen there's not much that can be done as long as the LEO acts reasonably and has probable cause.
                          I almost arrested someone for driving while unlicensed once. The person didn't have their license on them and the information they gave me did not return with an associated driver's license. I opted to just issue the "driving while unlicensed" ticket and ROR. Under the circumstances I would have been completely justified to take her to jail for it. My supervisor was a little ****ed I let her go like that and the court clerk even had something negative to say about it.
                          At court she showed me her license which was issued to her a long time before I stopped her. I checked the license number and it was in fact valid. We then had the judge reduce the charge to "no license on person" which was a $12 or $15 fine which better than the $300 fine.

Comment

Originally posted by needguidance View Post
                            Just another reason to stay away from cheese!
                            I wonder if they asked him to "say cheese" when taking his photo? LOL

Comment

Cheese. Shrimp. Tortilla dough.

None of these things look like cocaine. Not even close. How the heck do you get confused with that?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6438 users online. 348 members and 6090 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X