300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Language "pet peeves"

When people say, "you can't have your cake and eat it too". Of course I can. I have my cake, then I eat it. It is properly said "you can't eat your cake, and have it too".

Also people who pronounce the "t" in "often".

People who say, "that's not my "forte" prnouncing it as "fortay". It is pronounced Fort.It is French. When pronounced Fortay, it is Italian and a musical term meaning loud and/or forceful.

What are yours?

Oh, there was a thread here titled "can you be a police officer and have epilepsy? Should have read, "can you have epilepsy and THEN be a police officer?"

[ 11-06-2002, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: txinvestigator1 ]
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final"--Bill Jordan

I must disagree. Having your cake means actually possessing it. Eating it means eating it. You can't do both.

You CAN'T have your cake and EAT it too!

I realize you are pointing out proper english usage, but never having trashed one of your topics, I thought, "Hay, now's my chance, sucka!"

[ 11-06-2002, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: Mike Tx ]

Comment

When people pronounce the "s" at the end of Illinois, it drives me crazy.

BTW, since I'm so anal retentive when it comes to subjects like this one, I'll try to limit my opinions, as they tend to be rather harsh at times.

[ 11-06-2002, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: kateykakes ]

Comment

It ticks me off to hear people speak English in my country! That's rude!

Jim Burnes

Comment

"One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."

He wanted to say "One small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind."

"Butt Naked"... it's actually "Buck Naked"

Comment

axe for ask.... wassup wit dat????

Comment

Ebonics.

Comment

When someone says that they COULD care less. It's supposed to be COULDN'T care less, as in, you care so little you cannot possibly care any less than you currently do.

EDIT: Also those damn easterners that pronounce the GON in Oregon. It's pronounced Orygun. We even have bumper stickers that say Orygun.

Mike

[ 11-06-2002, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: Oregon Mike ]
                "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!" -- Captain Lance Murdoch, The Simpsons

Comment

The phrase, "you can't eat you cake and have it too" means that you can't expect to both eat the cake, then expect to have it afterwards. Kids do this. They want to use something, but at the same time save it for later, or still have it after they use it.

In other words, you can't usually have te best of both worlds.

Sorry Mike, I am not often (silent T) right, but I am on this one.

Some other Peeves of mine:

Misuse of Two, To and Too.

Misuse of Their and There. "That is there boat over their."

The plural of incident is incidents, not incidences.

"Me and her" rather than "she and I" or "that belongs to her and I" rather than "that belongs to her and me"

Come on KK, let her rip!!

Comment

All right, so I tried to stay out of this thread, but I thought of something else. When people use the word "their", but mean for instance, "over there", and vice versa.

Take this test when you get the chance and see how well you do. I missed 5.

http://www.sentex.net/~mmcadams/spelling.html

Here is a list of commonly misspelled words:

http://cctc2.commnet.edu/grammar/misspelled_words.htm

[ 11-06-2002, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: kateykakes ]

Comment

quote:
                      Misuse of Two, To and Too.

Misuse of Their and There. "That is there boat over their."

The plural of incident is incidents, not incidences.

"Me and her" rather than "she and I" or "that belongs to her and I" rather than "that belongs to her and me"

There is a God! Finally someone who understands how I feel. Smooooooooooooches, tx!!!!!

Comment

Ebay has message boards, and a lot of people write the past tense of "bid" as "bidded".

Comment

The overuse of "actually" and "basically".

You see actually used by the news jockeys and basically by the home improvement and cooking people...

"So, basically what we're gonna do is make a small cut here and..."

No, that's not what you're "basically" gonna do, it's what you're exactly gonna do!

The confusion of robbery and burglary/theft! Oh that irks the ever lovin' HELL outta me!

Comment

Using words that are not needed. Such as saying it's a "true fact".

By being a fact it is true by default. There are no false facts.

Comment

How about: 'Can I HOLD that?'....implying 'May they BORROW something...'?

I often say 'You can HOLD it...but don't you dare USE it!' That gets me all sorts of funny looks....

And then there's: 'You want to go with?' WTF does THAT mean?

I once heard a kid in Kmart say this to his mom: 'We ain't used no crayons last year in school.' And this kid PASSED.....?!?!?
                              "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
                              -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4131 users online. 212 members and 3919 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X