300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jiu-Jitsu Cop View Post
    Obviously I like JJ but I think the notion of joint locks being useless comes from the whole steven segal type movies. If a 110lb female attempts to grab a 240 lb male by the wrist and throw him using a wrist lock it probably will not happen. Often PS's attempt to teach that style of fighting (koyga, etc), and since many officers train once every two years the technique becomes ineffective. People must train all of the time in order to become good at what they do. I would not suggest a joint lock style to a person who wants to casually train.
    Coming to Steven Segal's defense... do you know what kind of backround he has in martial arts? Aikido does not involve "throwing" people, such as Judo does. Aikido is more in to redirecting your opponent's energy. Steven Segal(cheesy movies or not) was the first white person to be able to open a Dojo in Japan. He first had to prove himself through competition, and apparently did pretty good. Steven Segal is considered to be one of the greatest martial artist ever!(before he got fat). I'm actually making my boys grow pony-tails to honor him(j/k).

Back on a sub-serious note... I took Uechi-Ryu and Aikido for about five years. The gentleman in my Avatar happened to be on the receiving-end of my Uechi-Ryu.

Almost any style you study will give you an edge. The majority of your fights will end-up on the ground... nobody sits-around trading puches with a Cop like they're in the ring(that I have encountered). Bottom-line, I believe it will come down to whoever is more aggressive in the fight.

One of you is fighting for freedom, and the other is fighting for their life.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEDaCIDvj6I

I always think of the above challenge match when I think of certain martial arts that are based on orchestrated fighting or katas, and rely on theory instead of practical application.

Comment

Originally posted by sdewitt View Post
        Also te plan is to relocate to DC so if anyone if famaliar with the style i mentioned or where a good school would be to take it that would be great.

One final things I heard a stat that something like 95% of all fights end up on the ground so maybe I should go jujitsu?

Thanks

Steve
        Ryan Hall is one of the top American BJJ competitors and he has a real good school in Fairfax Va about 15 miles from DC -- traffic is crazy
        Pedro Sauer is one of the biggest names in BJJ and has scores of affiliate schools but his headquaters is in Sterling Va around 25 miles from DC but once again traffic. His school has Muay Thai, Kali, MMA, and of course BJJ....

Comment

The first "actual" fight I got into was when I became a Cop. Nothing better than a dose of reality! The guy in my avatar was apparently an MMA fighter. His name is Nicholas Holliday... his record isn't that great, but my Sgt. made it a part of my use-of- force packet.

Comment

Originally posted by NavySAR View Post
            Steven Segal is considered to be one of the greatest martial artist ever!(before he got fat).
            ehhhhhhh tap the brakes...
            Last edited by Rudy8116; 05-14-2011, 11:15 PM.
            I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy8116 View Post
              ehhhhhhh tap the brakes...
              ... touche.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayPatriot View Post
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEDaCIDvj6I

I always think of the above challenge match when I think of certain martial arts that are based on orchestrated fighting or katas, and rely on theory instead of practical application.
                HAHAHA! just watched the video....doubt that "style" or the master is legit....seriously, 1 hit and its like he cant believe his mouth is bleeding.
                Im not too convinced of those who can "knock you down without touching you", like in the "masters" demo.....Im a Missouri boy, you gotta "show me"...
                How embarrassing for him.....in front of a large crowd, students and the video camera!
                "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
                The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
                sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
                Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

GrayPatriot you made my day by posting that video. That was the funniest thing I ever saw- mostly because of the way the students were flopping around at the beginning of the video. Great job!!
                  10% of the cops do 90% of the work

Comment

Stephen Seagull was only considered one of the greatest, by Stephen Seagull. Read up on the guy sometime your bored, lots and lots, and lots of what he says appears to be utter BS.

Bill
                    Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

^^^ on a side note, he has a HUGE 1911 collection...
                      "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
                      The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
                      sanitizer

Comment

While I am not saying anything about Segal's chosen form, I think his whole buddist mentality and the way he tries to oversell himself as a martial artist, etc, talks alot into saying he is one of the greatest martial artists. Chuck Norris is just as qualified of a martial artist, and may be moreso since he has kept himself in better physical condition. Between Segal and Norris, my money would be on norris. and that's not because I fear his beard.

Comment

Chuck Norris' penis is so big....that is has a penis of it's own...and THAT penis is bigger than yours
                          The Tick

sanitizer

Comment

Chuck Norris doesn't have a chin under that beard. He has an invisible fist!

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Some people don't believe that Chuck Norris exists. Those people are now dead.
                              Chuck Norris doesn't drink Dos Equis Beer. It is made of his sweat. THAT is what the "most interesting" man in the world drinks.
                              There is a picture of Chuck Norris on Superman's chest.

Comment

Seagal > Norris in a match when both were in their prime.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5312 users online. 318 members and 4994 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X