Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended Martial Art

To my Martial Arts Brothers (and sisters)-

What martial art would you recommend that involves mostly punching and kicking. I was a boxer so I like to strike and I would like to use my legs more.

I hate those joint locks (because they don't work until the guy is knocked out). I hate grappling around on the mat with some smelly sweaty opponent (unless its a female..

It would seem that kick boxing would be the sport but around here, all kickboxing around here is for cardio- there's no sparring.

So anyone with experience, please let me know what you think- Thanks
    10% of the cops do 90% of the work

Muay Thai is good I would also recommend Brazillian Ju Jitsu even though you don't like to grapple around. What are you going to do if you kick the guy, he goes down and when you start trying to cuff him he starts fighting or wrapping you up? A good ground game is just as important as being able to strike an opponent IMO.
    "I'm sorry, did you see my care face? Because I'm pretty sure I didn't show it to you becuase I DON'T care. Have a nice day. "

Comment

Kung Fu is the best style I have looked at. It is actually the foundation for all martial arts. It is very fluid and effective. One of my instructors students of only 3 months was attacked at knifepoint and took the guy out with two moves. You learn stance training, blocks, punches, kicks and even chin na (pressure point controlling).

BUT, it is up to you. The best thing you can do is to look into all avaiable styles. Ask the instructor if you can sit in and watch. I would stay away from an "independent" gym. For example, my instrutor has an instructor, and so on all the way to the grandmaster. Therefore, there is somone to make sure your instructor teaches what they are supposed to, and is held accountable.
      I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Yeah, without a doubt Muay Thai if you like strikes. You really need to give BJJ a chance as anyone who even dabbles in the sport becomes addicted real fast. Kicks and punches are fine but you can't be bringing everyone back to the station with a broken jaw and fractured nose :-)

Most MMA schools have Muay Thai and BJJ now and in NJ they have some amazing schools. One of the best is BJJ Shore academy in Ocean County... Great schools all over though...
        Last edited by GrayPatriot; 05-14-2011, 12:27 AM.

Comment

I've studied Chinese Kenpo, and I like it.

However, I respectfully disagree with your statement on the joint locks. I use them all the time on the job and I've never choked anyone out (we're not allowed to unless lethal force is authorized). However, if I properly lock up a wrist I have full control of him (even control of the wrist I'm not touching).

Comment

If you want something that's gonna cover you in all areas as a complete system. Look no more.... Pencak Silat is the way to go. Look into this guy, he'll teach you things you didn't know were humanly possible lol

"Ability can take you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there"
            -Bottom of a White Castle Cheesebuger Box-

If it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and looks like a duck.....it's probably a duck!

It is what it is!

Comment

Originally posted by chad7613 View Post
              Muay Thai is good I would also recommend Brazillian Ju Jitsu even though you don't like to grapple around. What are you going to do if you kick the guy, he goes down and when you start trying to cuff him he starts fighting or wrapping you up? A good ground game is just as important as being able to strike an opponent IMO.
              this...as it seems every dirtbag has a "tapout" sticker on their camaro or watches that stuff as much as possible and, even though they may not "train", they pick stuff up and when resisting will perhaps go to that...
              Krav Maga...anyone? anyone??
              "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
              The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
              sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
              Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

I've done Tae-Kwon-Do, Hapkido (Aikido), Judo, Bayonette-Do and Gun-fu. My favorite is Gun-Fu as I can reach out and touch someone at longer distance.

If you are into kicking and punching, Tae-Kwon-Do offers good fundamentals, but not street practical as it is more of a gentleman's sport.

Comment

Damn! That guy was good. He had very "fluid" motions and kept it circular in nature - as opposed to broken or choppy.

I would NOT mess with that chap!

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post

Damn! That guy was good. He had very "fluid" motions and kept it circular in nature - as opposed to broken or choppy.

I would NOT mess with that chap!
                    Were you referring to the video I posted?

[/QUOTE]

Originally posted by M1garand View Post
                    If you are into kicking and punching, Tae-Kwon-Do offers good fundamentals, but not street practical as it is more of a gentleman's sport.
                    You're very right about Take-Your-Dough I mean Tae-Kwon-Do. It will most certainly get you killed on the street.
                    "Ability can take you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there"
                    -Bottom of a White Castle Cheesebuger Box-

If it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and looks like a duck.....it's probably a duck!

It is what it is!

Comment

Originally posted by M1garand View Post
                      I've done Tae-Kwon-Do, Hapkido (Aikido), Judo, Bayonette-Do and Gun-fu. My favorite is Gun-Fu as I can reach out and touch someone at longer distance.

ahh yes..."ching-ching-bang" style?"
                      "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
                      The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
                      sanitizer

Comment

Originally posted by crass cop View Post
                        Krav Maga...anyone? anyone??
                        I have. Finding a real Krav Maga instructor can be tricky though. I messed around with it for about 6 months a few years back. It's insane how much can be retained in just that short amount of time.

+1 on Muay Thai. It's the only one that's going to allow you the most sparring time.

Comment

I agree...we have a very limited few in the KC area...pretty intense stuff
                          The Tick

sanitizer

Comment

You guys are great. thanks for the insights.

The guy in the Youtube video is friggin' awesome. He looks a little goofy in that skirt, but I ain't saying a word to that bad dude..

Of course, we all know the best exercise- The one you do. You guys gave me alot to think about. Thank you
                            10% of the cops do 90% of the work

Comment

well, theres this "guy".....
                              http://budoryuninjutsu.com./

here's another, same "guy"

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CB8Q9QEwCA
                              The Tick

sanitizer

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3251 users online. 215 members and 3036 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X