300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judge says Conn. discriminated against aspiring female prison guards

More than 100 women who applied to be prison guards in connecticut were subjected to a discriminatory physical fitness test, a federal judge has ruled.

Us district judge janet hall, in a ruling dated may 5, granted a motion for summary judgment in a class-action lawsuit filed against the department of correction in 2008 by attorneys for a bloomfield woman, cherie easterling.

Easterling, now 32 and living in simsbury, was rejected as a candidate to become a corrections officer in 2004 when she failed to run 1 1/2 miles in a required time of under 14:49.

She had successfully completed a written exam and other portions of the fitness test, which also required her to perform sit-ups and push-ups and demonstrate flexibility.

In 2004, 148 female and 740 male applicants were asked to complete the run. Fewer than 63 percent of women completed the run in the allotted time, compared with 82 percent of the men. The men in easterling’s age range were required to run the eight-lap course in 12:25. Easterling had about a lap to complete when officials told her that time had expired, said seth marnin, one of her lawyers.

“the test had a disparate impact on women, and the state could not justify that, which is why the court found in our favor,’’ he said.

The state argued that a lower percentage of women passed the test as the result of the department’s efforts to actively recruit minorities, which it argued tend to have a lower level of cardiovascular fitness. But the judge said there was no evidence those recruitment efforts specifically targeted women. She also wrote that the state failed to show why the test was needed at all.

“the defendant has presented no evidence showing the timed 1 1/2-mile run to be predictive of who can perform the essential physical functions of the job’’ of a guard, hall wrote.

In 2007, the state changed the run portion of the test from 1 1/2 miles to 300 meters.

Prisons spokesman brian garnett said yesterday that the department of correction is committed to providing a workplace free of discrimination.
    ugh...

I fail to see how this discriminated against women.

THIS----->“the defendant has presented no evidence showing the timed 1 1/2-mile run to be predictive of who can perform the essential physical functions of the job’’ of a guard, hall wrote.------ is idiotic.

Its not about how far you have to run in a prison, it IS about cardio vascular endurance and whether or not youll be able to resist Bubbas attempts to rape you.

the men had to meet HIGHER standards....so who got discriminated against?

THIS----->Fewer than 63 percent of women completed the run in the allotted time, compared with 82 percent of the men. The men in easterling’s age range were required to run the eight-lap course in 12:25. Easterling had about a lap to complete when officials told her that time had expired, said seth marnin, one of her lawyers.

----Shows it IS possible to do. Shes out of shape and got butt hurt when she FAILED. So by all means, lets lower the standards once again to include those that cant hack the job.

IOWA....please weigh in on this...
    Last edited by LaPlaca; 05-10-2011, 12:12 PM.
    Originally posted by crass cop
    Just do it in front of a camera and try not to get a boner and you shoudl be fine.

Comment

So if she truly wanted a job instead of just a free payday then why wouldn't she go back and retest now that it's only 300m.......?????

I think we all already know the answer to the question above.

Comment

The test I took utilized the 300m sprint. You had to complete it under 112 seconds (the slowest you could run it and pass would be at a 6 mph pace).

Comment

For as long as I worked in the field, there has ALWAYS been discrimination in one form or another albeit women, minorities or fat guys! If it wasn't in the testing, it came later. There will always be the "ducks" that want a free ride, or the "lazies" that just want a paycheck. I understand why certain requirements are different for females then men, the problem is the rules weren't applied fairly and consistently. That is discriminatory.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus259
            Another classic example of why a County/State will be at a loss of money for years to come. Thank you retarded women for NOT working out and getting ready for a test you KNEW was coming previously . . .

When I tested at a suburb last summer, we had about 26 women show up for it. After the physical and onto the written, only two made it. The women threw a fit that they had to bench 70% of their weight (everyone did the same standard), and that they had to do 25 push ups (actual push ups, not "women" push ups).

I don't see the big deal anyway. They had 14:49 to run it. For State PD here, we have to run it in 12:43. People who want this job, can run it faster then that because WE WORK FOR IT.
            Thing that kills me too is the time allowed...14:49 is almost a 10 min mile...get on a treadmill and set it for a 10min mile...i bet you walk it...and she FAILED it...
            Originally posted by crass cop
            Just do it in front of a camera and try not to get a boner and you shoudl be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by marcusindc View Post
              ugh...
              The irony is, I had my day off today. I went to go get a haircut and while waiting I was drinking my coffee and reading that very article in the New Britain Herald. When it came my turn to get a haircut, I struck up a conversation with my barber.By coincidence, his son was cutting the hair of a CO at a local state prison. I got into dialogue with him and he explained it was all BS. He told me that the good one's do get selected if they can perform at the required level. His words not mine.
              Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
              ~Mark Twain

Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
              ~Thomas Jefferson

"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity."
              — Horace Mann

Comment

Originally posted by LaPlaca View Post
                “the defendant has presented no evidence showing the timed 1 1/2-mile run to be predictive of who can perform the essential physical functions of the job’’ of a guard, hall wrote.
                The DoC musta had a really lame-***** attorney if they couldn't even support that!
                "Son, you are a walkin' violation of the laws of nature...But we don't enforce them laws."

I am just a country boy tryin' to make some sense
                But I'd like to ask the Congress, I'd like to ask the President
                "Can ya tell me where all the money went?"
                We might not be broke but we're badly bent!

The Tractors -- "Badly Bent" from the album Owner's Manual

"Common sense. So rare, it should be a super power." Exodus 259

Comment

Really sad. Is the job the same for men and women? Well then the requirements are the same.

Typical....equality, to those screaming about discrimination, really means "whatever it takes so I don't have to put forth actual effort."
                  Last edited by Fëanor; 05-12-2011, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Well if those standards discriminated against women, I think men have a good argument they were being discriminated against too.

In all honesty, I hate seeing crap like this. As COs, we don't get the kind of respect that other LEOs receive, and part of the reason is because hiring standards, training, and physical fitness are very lax compared to other LEO agencies. When you walk in a prison and see a bunch of officers who weigh 300+ pounds and don't look like they could run 10 feet, much less across the compound to a body alarm, blame these idiotic lawsuits.
                    What is Perseverance?
                    -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                    -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                    -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

So I think in 2012, we ought to concentrate the most on judges being voted in. Judges who wouldn't even look at such a bullcrap case such as this.
                      Been chatting to a girl online. She's funny, sexy and flirty. Now she tells me she is an undercover cop! How cool is that at her age!?

Comment

I absolutely hate physicals that have different performance standards for different categories. Why do you have to do less push-ups and run slower than me because: you're 35 and I'm 25, you're a female and I'm a male, you have 1 leg and I have 2? If we work the same job you had better be able to perform to the same standards. The purpose of discrimination law has been twisted over the years to where it no longer prevents discrimination, it encourages it against individuals who are not members of a protected class.

/rant
                        sorry

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5296 users online. 328 members and 4968 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X