Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheriff's atheist opponent out on bond

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/new...-bond-05062011

BARTOW - A judge in Bartow decided to release Ellen Beth Wachs, an outspoken atheist, who has been in jail since Sunday.

She was arrested after an incident involving her neighbor's 10-year-old son, and charged with simulation of a sexual act in the presence of a child.

"He is very fearful of even going outside after that happened," said Otto Lehman in court on Friday. Lehman is the boy's dad.

According to investigators, the 10-year-old was playing basketball in his yard. Wachs told him to stop because she was sick and the noise was bothering her.

He did stop, but a few minutes later, began shooting hoops with his father.

Detectives say Wachs began making loud noises of a sexual nature.

Wach's attorney said she denied making sexual noises, and said the charges would not stick because no simulation of a sexual act happened, or was observed.

In the end, the judge decided to let Wachs go. The judge set a $6,000 bond, and forbid her to have any contact with the 10-year-old or any other kids.

Wachs made headlines in January when she challenged Polk Sheriff Grady Judd after he donated basketball hoops from the jail to churches.

Wachs has said she is a target of the Polk County Sheriff's Office now because she and fellow atheist John Kieffer had also been pressuring local government to eliminate prayer from meetings.

There is no word yet on when her next court date is.

I try not to, and very rarely do, "monday morning quarterback" the decisions of other officers and law enforcement agencies, but I can't say that I agree with this arrest. It seems to me like nothing but a possible noise violation by a dummy inside her own house.

If an officer from my department had taken her to booking, and presented this story to the magistrate in an effort to get the warrant, that officer would probably have been laughed at, and told to release her immediately.

Just my .02 cents.
    Last edited by Street_Cop50; 05-08-2011, 12:12 PM.
    Look sharp, act sharp, be sharp.

Is there any other ridiculous idiocy out there? My gracious, that county must be almost totally void of crime that someone has the time to infest the justice system with ludicrous charges. May God forgive them!
    Last edited by SgtCHP; 05-08-2011, 05:07 PM.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
      IS there any other rediculous idiocy out there? My gracious, that county must be almost totally void of crime that someone has the time to infest the justice system with ludicrous charges. May God forgive them!
      I don't think this is so much about ludicrous charges as using his position to try to tar his opponent.

Comment

The little smiley face with a wink shows I was making a facetious remark. But, thanks!
        Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Why does she have to be an "atheist opponent?" Can't she just be an opponent? Does a lack of belief in the supernatural make her crimes more egregious?

Seem like some pretty ridiculous charges to begin with, even more ridiculous is that it made the paper.
          I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
          - Mark Twain

Comment

How about these equally stupid headlines?

Theist Sheriff's opponent out on bond.

Theist Sheriff's atheist opponent out on bond.
            ...hunter of the shadows is rising...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3310 users online. 191 members and 3119 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X