300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the reasoning for this....

All of the southern states(or just about all)....use "blue lights" on their light bars without any red or white...just blue. most everywhere else in the country seems to use two or three different colors in their lightbars, whether LED or not, doesnt matter, but i could never seem to figure this out, any reasoning?....personally, i think id rather that, especially here in PA.(except for psp, i like their "gumdrop" lightbars)

it's up to the state what lights can be used by police (color that is). In NY, police can have blue in the back and that's it. Blue is reserved for volunteer firemen up here.
    He once brought a knife to a gun fight, just to even the odds.

He once ran a marathon backwards, just to see what second place looked like.

Comment

In California, emergency vehicles can have red and blue flashing lights, it's optional. What is mandatory is a steady-burning red light facing forward. Thanks a lot, stupid Cali legislature, for making our light bars cost more than the rest of the entire world.
      Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Yea that California thing has confused me for years...

Here in SC it's blue for LE and red for fire/rescue both volunteer and paid. White is optional as a secondary color only. Police may use red in addition to blue if they want to, I know North Myrtle Beach does because their officers rotate police and fire duties.

SCHP also uses amber on the backside of their lightbars in addition to blue for added caution.
        SCFC Dispatch Manager

Comment

Hendersonville, TN, just north of Nashville uses Red, White and Blue. One side is red, their takedown lights flash, and the other side is blue.. looks pretty good i think. Tennessee Highway Patrol uses Blue with amber in the back (mostly). Many unmarked cars use a red/blue combo..

There was a study several years ago grading the effectivness of different colors in different lights and weather condition. I can see the blue a mile away at night.. but during day light the red is much more visiable...

Comment

Around here colors mean many different things such as different agencies or types of emergencies. All blue is used only by detectives around here. Every cop car around here is equipped with blue, red, white, and amber and they use certain ones for certain stops.
            Been chatting to a girl online. She's funny, sexy and flirty. Now she tells me she is an undercover cop! How cool is that at her age!?

Comment

It's mixed among agencies in TN, but from what I've seen the majority use blue only. Red or combination red/white are used by Fire/EMS.
              I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

For many years in La. it was city pd= blue
                Sheriffs = red and blue
                Troopers all red
                It has since changed to where it is more or less a free for all.Legend has it the city police went blue because people were claiming they thought the red lights were flashing traffic signals,and the blues couldnt be confused that way.Sheriffs went red AND blue cause they worked city and rural.and troopers were all red cause they ONLY worked hiways where there wasn't any traffic signals.
                Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

Comment

In Alabama, blue lights are specific to law enforcement. A police vehicle may display red lights along with blue, but blue lights are mandatory for a LE vehicle. Fire Departments and ambulances display red lights.

Comment

Same here in Vermont; front facing lights are blues with takedowns, rear facing are blue but usually with amber arrowsticks, and depending on department white hideaway strobes on all corners...
                    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left..."
                    "I swear to God, I'm gonna pistol whip the next guy who says 'Shenanigans' !"

Comment

For many years in Iowa red was for the police and blue was for fire.

In 2000 the legislature finally approved the use of the blue light for Law Enforcement. If blue lights are used (and almost every police car in the state does) the blue lights MUST be on the passenger side of the vehicle and red on the driver's side.

Blue lights alone are usually volunteer fire fighters.............
                      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Geez, what a lot of complex rules and regs for something that drivers mostly ignore anyway!, lol.
                        There are basically two kinds of people in this world. Those that believe in the moon landing and those that don't.
                        http://unistat76.blogspot.com/

Comment

In WI, it's actually fairly straightforward. "Emergency vehicles" (which is a rather broad definition) must use red lights. Law enforcement may use blue, but it must be on the passenger side of the vehicle.

That said, almost every law enforcement agency uses red/blue. The only LE vehicles I've seen firsthand that didn't have blue were before LED's became really popular. My former department, along with others in the Milwaukee area, only used red lights on unmarked detective/administrative cars. Up until about '07 or so, the unmarked units at my old department had wig-wags, white hideaway strobes on the 4 corners, and a single red Starsky & Hutch type light that we HAD to put on the roof if we were responding code to something
                          -Andy

Live Free or Die

Comment

And then there is the Michigan State Police and the "gumball."

There are basically two kinds of people in this world. Those that believe in the moon landing and those that don't.
                            http://unistat76.blogspot.com/

Comment

Chicago PD uses all blue but many suburbs here uses both blue and red.
                              Life is what you make of it

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2730 users online. 135 members and 2595 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X