300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop trying to be a sidewalk lawyer!

I don't think this has been posted yet, pardon me though if it has.

Your rights aren't being infringed, stop thinking they are and trying to be stuck up about it!!

SCFC Dispatch Manager

I'm guessing they are not attorneys.

Comment

What a couple of dummies...

Here's an article about the stop.

http://www.10news.com/news/27787847/detail.html

SAN DIEGO -- Just two days ago, the Escondido Police Department issued 16 citations after stopping more than 600 drivers at a DUI checkpoint, but Thursday there is word that a stop back in February that was captured on video will be the focus of a court case this summer.

Escondido Police smashed the window of a car during a February 11 checkpoint when the driver refused to comply with them. The two men inside the vehicle videotaped the entire exchange and told the officers they were doing so.

Angel Navarrete and his passenger, Daniel Alfaro, are also heard on the video talking about their plan to challenge the checkpoint by refusing to provide their driver’s licenses. In the exchange seen on the video, an officer verbally warns that he will break the vehicle's window and Navarrete gives him permission.

Victor Torres, who is representing the driver said the two Escondido men weren’t trying to antagonize the officers but, rather, prove they know their constitutional rights.

“This is the third thing out of the cop's mouth: 'if you don't roll the window down I’m going to break your window.' That’s why from then on it became a contest of wills,” said Torres. "They repeatedly asked if they're being detained, at that point they don't say, 'show me your driver's license,' in fact, at one point they say, 'show me your driver's license and we'll let you go.' Well then, what is the reason for the initial stop?”

Navarrete was not intoxicated at the time and he had a valid driver's license but the two men were charged with resisting a police officer, a misdemeanor. Both men pleaded not guilty to the charge in March and are scheduled to appear in court in July.

The Escondido Police Department is not commenting on the video until after the case is heard in court.
      Look sharp, act sharp, be sharp.

Comment

funny

Originally posted by Krell View Post
        I don't think this has been posted yet, pardon me though if it has.

Your rights aren't being infringed, stop thinking they are and trying to be stuck up about it!!

and is the perfect example of the difference of compliance and a free trip to the city/county iron bar hotel. Kids, this is why you should avoid drugs, don't believe what you see on tv and go to school and actually learn.

Comment

"They repeatedly asked if they're being detained, at that point they don't say, 'show me your driver's license,' in fact, at one point they say, 'show me your driver's license and we'll let you go.' Well then, what is the reason for the initial stop?”
          Their lawyer must not have watched the same video I did. It was not a traffic stop, it was a DUI checkpoint. You do not need probable cause to see ID at a checkpoint, the checkpoint itself makes it a whole separate animal. They were the ones who, from what the video shows and the article, purposefully drove to it. If they're so "informed" on their rights they would know that checkpoints are not subject to the same restrictions as traffic stops in terms of probable cause for initial stop.
          SCFC Dispatch Manager

Comment

We need to know you're name and badge number.

It will be on the arrest report lol

Comment

I fail to understand the point in not doing what the officer asked, had he shown this drivers license he would have been on his way in a few minutes.
              It's not that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so. Ronald Reagan

TSA, I would rather be felt up than blown up.

Comment

Originally posted by Justsaying View Post
                I fail to understand the point in not doing what the officer asked, had he shown this drivers license he would have been on his way in a few minutes.
                They are trying to prove a point that checkpoints are unconstitutional, which is not true. When they go to court they will be dumbfounded and found guilty. Probably saw a few youtube videos and went on google then decided it was a good idea to challenge police. Not so much.

Comment

Goes to show you how difficult it is sometimes to be a cop. It surprises how much restraint was shown by the LEOs here. Good job.
                  "Its not cheating, unless you get caught."-Al Bundy

Comment

WOW, these kids are morons. Hey, lets go mess with the cops for giggles!!!!!! Look who's laughing now!!!
                    "I'm sorry, did you see my care face? Because I'm pretty sure I didn't show it to you becuase I DON'T care. Have a nice day. "

Comment

A disgrace to America.
                      Been chatting to a girl online. She's funny, sexy and flirty. Now she tells me she is an undercover cop! How cool is that at her age!?

Comment

Don't know about there, but in my state so long as the checkpoint has prior public notice, sign-age in advance of the actual check-point, the ability to avoid it without making any illegal maneuvers, and making a legal maneuver without any other circumstances cannot be used as a reason to stop a car avoiding the check-point... they are perfectly legal, and you must comply by showing license and insurance. These are two kids are boneheads. I do have a question though, and maybe the answer varies by state... but does one have to roll down a window for an LEO, or just enough to put your documents through at a checkpoint prior to any detention? Nolo.com says to roll down your window at a stop, so I assume that's correct? What do the courts say?
                        Last edited by eyesopen; 05-06-2011, 11:50 PM.
                        The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

They are obviously not aware that the checkpoints have been upheld by the courts and that your license is a privilege and must be presented upon request of LEO when driving a vehicle. If I still lived down there their court appearance would be worth going to.

Comment

I bet he won't be happy when he finds out he has to pay for the broken window.
                            It's not that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so. Ronald Reagan

TSA, I would rather be felt up than blown up.

Comment

Originally posted by Justsaying View Post
                              I bet he won't be happy when he finds out he has to pay for the broken window.
                              Or has to vacuum the broken glass, I hear that no matter how hard you try you will not be able to get all the pieces and shards out.
                              Life is what you make of it

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6437 users online. 369 members and 6068 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X