300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illinois Objects to Deporting Illegal Immigrants

In a letter to the Department of Homeland Security, Gov. Pat Quinn said Illinois would stop participating in a federal program that requires authorities to run the fingerprints of anyone arrested through a federal immigration database.

The program, called Secure Communities, is in effect in more than 1,000 jurisdictions in 40 states. Immigration and Customs Enforcement plans to rollout the program nationwide by 2013.

The Chicago Tribune reports that Quinn withdrew the state from the program because he had concerns that it was veering from its stated mission to deport convicted criminals:
    Nearly a third of all illegal immigrants deported out of Illinois under the program have never been convicted of any crime, the letter stated, citing federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement figures. Quinn's office suspended the state's role in the program in November amid concerns about its effectiveness.

"During the suspension, we voiced our concerns to ICE and asked them to prove that Secure Communities can and will be implemented as agreed to," the governor's office said in a statement. "After review, we were not satisfied and determined that ICE's ongoing implementation of Secure Communities is flawed."

One key thing to remember is that when a person comes into the country illegally, they are guilty of a civil infraction, not a criminal one. According to the Immigration Policy Center, one common objection to the program is that if local officers are seen as immigration officials, they'll lose the trust of their community and would make their jobs harder.

The program, however, has been popular among those who seek tougher enforcement of immigration laws.

The New York Times reported another interesting angle in March: Whether the federal government can force local jurisdictions to participate in the program is up for debate.

Chicago, Cook County and ICE were already getting ready to face off on the question, before Quinn's letter today.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...am?ft=1&f=1001
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

And what about the 2/3 that have been convicted?

IL is soon to be the Mid West California.

Comment

I think Illinois' deficit and pension problems are worse than California's.

Comment

Originally posted by badge17 View Post
        ...IL is soon to be the Mid West California.
        Not just IL, Bloomberg wants to sent New York's illegals to Detroit.
        There are basically two kinds of people in this world. Those that believe in the moon landing and those that don't.
        http://unistat76.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by badge17 View Post
          IL is soon to be the Mid West California.
          Only the near Chicagoland area. The population outside of Chicago and the Burbs might as well be a different state.

Unfortunately, the people in Chicago have most of the influence.

Comment

The leaders in this country are a COMPLETE JOKE
            Been chatting to a girl online. She's funny, sexy and flirty. Now she tells me she is an undercover cop! How cool is that at her age!?

Comment

Wow....Talk about a downward spiral this country is on.

Comment

In Wisconsin they won't deport an illegal unless they have been convicted of a crime or was previously deported. We just had two people killed in the last few days by an illegal driving drunk with no license. So we can lock his worthless a** up for the next 30 years before we deport him.

Comment

Crap like this makes me wonder why we even have laws.
                  sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

Originally posted by Item9 View Post
                    Only the near Chicagoland area. The population outside of Chicago and the Burbs might as well be a different state.

Unfortunately, the people in Chicago have most of the influence.
                    I know its them folks up North..... The entire state was red during the last election except for the County of Crook and one or two near St. Louis.

Comment

They are illegal immigrants therefore are commiting a crime. Deport them so that they quit mooching off our tax dollars by recieving free medical care and food stamps. I don't mind people from other countries coming here to live but do it legally. When you get here pay taxes, work a job, pay for your own darn medical care. At least those who pay taxes are helping even if they can't afford their medical care etc.
                      "I'm sorry, did you see my care face? Because I'm pretty sure I didn't show it to you becuase I DON'T care. Have a nice day. "

Comment

The "progressive" movement is trying their best to call them "immigrants"......removing the "illegal" tag, and lumping them in with the honest folks who pay tens of thousands of dollars, and go for interview after interview over a period of years to finally become Americans.

I think this sentence is probably creative statistics

Nearly a third of all illegal immigrants deported out of Illinois under the program have never been convicted of any crime
                        My guess is that they are apprehended for an alleged crime, they run their prints, find out their illegal, and deport them, cheaper than convicting them and jailing them. The other 2/3 have previous convictions, they run their prints, find out their illegal, and deport them too. I highly doubt the 1/3 with no prior convictions are angels by any stretch.

I Work with, and have worked with many folks who became Americans legally by "the process", they went through a long, expensive, and torturous process to accomplish that. They are hard working fine people, every one of them.

To equate being against people sneaking over the border with being "anti immigrant" is baloney.

Bill
                        Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

This is just sheer idiocy on the part of the State of Illinois. The safe communities initiative targets people who have been arrested for a crime. If these illegal aliens getting caught by this program were such upstanding people they wouldn't be getting arrested in the first place. Let's not overlook the fact that they broke the law to get here in the first place.

The ones that weren't convicted of a crime were simply turned over to ICE and deported before they could get prosecuted. State and local agencies do this all the time to save money.

Comment

Originally posted by ten08
                            Were the employers prosecuted?
                            if not there will be more iillegals to replace them the next day.
                            These are obviously illegals arrested for a state-law crime. If they had been rounded up in an immigration sweep at an employed, ICE would have arrested them and the deportation would have had nothing to do with the state of Illinois.

Comment

Then people ask why I can't wait to move...
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXzJGA8pyA0
                              OPEN KEY - FINAL CALL
                              To remember those harshly influenced or killed in the line of duty.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3172 users online. 174 members and 2998 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X