300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handicap Hang-Tag Misuse

How many officers here actively enforce handicap hang-tag misuse?

From what I can tell, the person's name is written on the tag, so if you were to check their ID it'd be pretty simple to tell if they are using their grandma's tag, right?

Has anyone found offenders who have figured out ways around the regulations as far as obtaining a legitimate hang-tag issued to them without actually being handicapped?

Just something that I've gotten more and more curious about as I've seen more folks abusing them.

I enforce those in department store parking lots when I have a few free minutes. I issue a lot more than other officers because instead of looking for the handicap placard hanging from the rear view mirror, I'll actually get out (or use binos) and check the expiration date. Some placards get used LOOOONG after they've expired.

Comment

Originally posted by headonstraight View Post
      How many officers here actively enforce handicap hang-tag misuse?

From what I can tell, the person's name is written on the tag, so if you were to check their ID it'd be pretty simple to tell if they are using their grandma's tag, right?

Has anyone found offenders who have figured out ways around the regulations as far as obtaining a legitimate hang-tag issued to them without actually being handicapped?

Just something that I've gotten more and more curious about as I've seen more folks abusing them.
      I'm sorry I mis-read the thread at first, I thought do I write the idiots who leave the handicap placard hanging from the mirrors. That really annoys me. It says clearly "take down when driving", but no the blue hairs leave it up like "a badge of honor". Got love the folks with handicap placards who think it authorizes them to park in the loading area of the handicap stall.

Comment

In California there is no name on the placard which ishung from the rearview mirror. There is a number on it which can be run in the system to find out who the placard is issued to. I have written them in the past.
        Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.

We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

Comment

Our big issue is people forgetting to put em up.

We write 'em then find out a week later we wrote a 90 year old lady with a walker, so we pretend like it was our fault.

I remind 'em all I want, but I'll keep biting my tongue when the Sgt gives me a talk... its part of the routine!
          NYPD
          Exam Taken 10/31/09
          Exam: #0308 Score:91.XXX%
          List Number: 5xx

PPB
          Exam: Passed
          PAT: Passed
          Oral Board: Passed
          Background Investigation: Ongoing

Massachusetts Civil Service
          Exam: 4/30 Awaiting Results

NPD CSO Summer 2011.

Comment

My son had one when he was first born. If an officer were to ask why we had it, I would tell him to pound sand. There is absolutely no reason why you should ask or why you should be told. You have zero authority to question why one was issued. I completely understand verifying the person and dates though.

Comment

Its not practical in California. Out here you doctor merely needs to satisfy DMV that you meet one of the many qualifying medical criteria. If he does, DMV gives you the placard.

Your medical information is confidential. Law enforcement has no access to it and cannot question you about your condition as they are not empowered or qualified to pass medical judgment over you degree of disability or whether you meet state qualifications for the placard.

An occasional problem comes up when a "good citizen" decides someone doesn't "look handicapped enough" to be issued a placard and starts a urinating contest over them having one. In California, you can qualify for a placard if you have heart, circulatory or lung disease, or any type of impaired mobility, which is not defined. Difficulty walking long distances would qualify as impaired mobility. As a result, many "normal looking" people have them.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Gotta agree, if they were issued a placard they are not an offender. A person could be in a condition where they can walk normally without pain but it is unhealthy because they are still healing from a recent surgery, an old wound, etc.

Comment

In Tennessee the placards have a number to run like a registration. It is also illegal to pretend to be handicapped when you are not (Criminal Impersonation) but it is opening a can of worms to try and enforce that part of the law.
                  10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime. (SgtScott31 jacked this from me, I had it first, but no hard feelings.)

Comment

One of my biggest pet peeves is people who park in handicap spots who aren't handicapped because my mom is handicapped and uses a walker - I used to write tickets for handicap violations like crazy when I was a security police officer (used to LOVE the court time too!) - I especially looked hard for obvious abuse of handicap permits - in Michigan (at least prior to 2006 - not sure now) the person's driver's license number was written on the handicap permit so you could verify who the permit was issued to and therefore who was supposed to be using it - whenever I would see an obvious non-handicapped person using one (like a car load of teenagers), I'd wait for them to come out to the car, run them, run the permit, then write them a ticket for the handicap violation and confiscate the permit - same goes for if I saw them getting into the car...used to get a lot of warrant arrests that way too (shocking) and a few recovered stolen cars...

Now it's kind of a nuisance because by the time I get the call and have someone available to send out the "violator" is usually gone...or the caller doesn't take the extra 2 seconds to look inside and see the permit sitting between the seats or on the dashboard...or that they have a handicap permit sticker on the license plate...
                    "We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles." -- RSGSRT

Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

I see a lot of sports cars with them around here. gtr-35's, , ferrari's, porsche's, etc. The person is always some young rich dude. My guess is that they don't want to park in the back of the parking lot where it's not in view of the front of the store, and that they feel like they're better than everyone else and can just park up front. Handicapped spaces should ONLY be used for people who can't walk. I don't see any other excuse as to why a person should have one. Argue about it with me all you want, but I don't really care.
                      Been chatting to a girl online. She's funny, sexy and flirty. Now she tells me she is an undercover cop! How cool is that at her age!?

Comment

I used to love it when I was writing a violation and the offender says something stupid like "I know it's my mom's card and I'm not supposed to use it, but there was no more parking stalls." Having had to transport an elderly grandmother to the drug store to get her medicine, grocery shopping, doctor's office, etc., and helping drive my friends sick aunt to her twice weekly dialysis treatments, I've come to appreciate the handicapped parking stalls. It burns me to see folks misusing the stalls and parking there when they're not supposed to.
                        Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by jannino View Post
                          My son had one when he was first born. If an officer were to ask why we had it, I would tell him to pound sand. There is absolutely no reason why you should ask or why you should be told. You have zero authority to question why one was issued. I completely understand verifying the person and dates though.
                          Simmer down, Sparky!
                          sigpic

Originally posted by mitojo
                          I was once thanked by two citizens in one day. Weird.

Comment

Originally posted by HI629 View Post
                            I've come to appreciate the handicapped parking stalls. It burns me to see folks misusing the stalls and parking there when they're not supposed to.
                            My grandma has super bad arthritus. Me and my mom parked in a handicapped spot because my grandma can barely walk far (she has a card). Some old guy seen that me and my mom could walk fine and completely bitched us out saying that because we can walk fine we should drop her off at the door and park somewhere else. This was a guy who could walk completely fine also, didn't have a handicapped sticker, and was parking in a handicapped spot for himself. I was young and clueless, but if someone said that to me now while I'm taking my grandma to the store, and they're using up a space she actually needs, they would have some new problems to deal with.
                            Been chatting to a girl online. She's funny, sexy and flirty. Now she tells me she is an undercover cop! How cool is that at her age!?

Comment

Originally posted by FromOhio View Post
                              My grandma has super bad arthritus. Me and my mom parked in a handicapped spot because my grandma can barely walk far (she has a card). Some old guy seen that me and my mom could walk fine and completely bitched us out saying that because we can walk fine we should drop her off at the door and park somewhere else. This was a guy who could walk completely fine also, didn't have a handicapped sticker, and was parking in a handicapped spot for himself. I was young and clueless, but if someone said that to me now while I'm taking my grandma to the store, and they're using up a space she actually needs, they would have some new problems to deal with.

What a DB. I've seen folks pull in to the last handicapped parking stall and not have special plates or a place card. When I'm not in a hurry or don't have my family with me, I'll make a comment like "I hope you have a place card for your vehicle. Hate to see you return to your vehicle to be greeted by a $500 citation." Most times they move their vehicle, couple of times they make stupid comments, other times they ignore me. In any case, I'll call it in to the appropriate LE agency (military or civilian) and let them deal with it. Having seen a fair number of elderly folks walking in the rain or snow (who do have a place card or appropriate license plates) because they had to park several rows back because of DBs' who misuse the stalls motivates me to call them in whenever possible. Wouldn't want my grandmother or grandfather to be at risk of pneumonia due to the selfish acts of others.
                              Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13096 users online. 524 members and 12572 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X