• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perhaps 3rd times the charm for WI Concealed Carry

http://www.twincities.com/ci_17992496?nclick_check=1

Bills would legalize concealed handgun carry in Wisconsin

Associated Press

Updated: 05/04/2011 04:54:29 PM CDT

MADISON, Wis. — Carrying concealed weapons in Wisconsin would be legalized under Republican-backed bills unveiled Wednesday.

Wisconsin and Illinois are the only states that don't allow the carrying of concealed weapons, but lawmakers are pushing measures this year that would allow both states to join with the rest of the country. If those proposals become law, only Washington, D.C., would still have a concealed weapons ban.

The Wisconsin measure has a good chance, since Republicans control the Senate and the Assembly, and GOP Gov. Scott Walker has indicated he supports the idea. Republicans passed it in 2003 and 2006, but it was vetoed both times by then-Gov. Jim Doyle, a Democrat.

Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn, a Democrat, has said he will veto the legislation in his state, though a bipartisan group of lawmakers is working to get enough support for an override.

Police organizations in both states have vociferously opposed legalizing carrying concealed weapons, saying it puts public safety officers and the public in danger. But the National Rifle Association and other supporters argue that it's needed for people to protect themselves from criminals, many of whom do not obtain firearms legally.

The Wisconsin bills are moving quickly. Bill sponsors Sen. Pam Galloway, R-Wausau, and Rep. Jeff Mursau, R-Crivitz, circulated the proposals Wednesday with a deadline of Monday for co-sponsors. A Senate hearing in Wausau was scheduled for May 12 and the Assembly
    Advertisement
    was expected to hold one in Madison that same day.

Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald said he didn't expect the bill would be ready for a vote this month. When it comes up depends on when its sponsors and others can reach agreement on what form the proposal should take, he said.

One of their bills would require someone to obtain a license to carry a concealed weapon while the other proposal would not require obtaining a license.

"It's time for Wisconsin to fully recognize the right of all its citizens to preserve their security and the security of their families," Mursau said in a statement. "Criminals in Wisconsin are going to have to start asking themselves if their potential crimes are worth the risk of encountering someone ready to fully defend themselves."

Current Wisconsin law carries with it a fine of up to $10,000 and nine months in jail for anyone who carries a concealed weapon, although there are exceptions for current and retired law enforcement officers. Courts have also ruled that business owners and homeowners can carry concealed weapons in some instances.

Under the bill creating the licensing system, people 21 years old and over could apply to obtain a license valid for five years at a time from the state Department of Justice. Applicants would have to pay a $13 background check fee and an application fee of up to $52.

No training would be required for the person to obtain the license.

Concealed weapons would not be allowed in police stations, jails, courthouses, beyond the security checkpoint in airports, or on school grounds. Homeowners, businesses and governments could also prohibit concealed weapons on their property.

That is much looser than current state law, which generally prohibits firearms in any public building, tavern, state park or wildlife refuge or within 1,000 feet of school grounds.

Under the bill, convicted felons, convicted domestic abusers, anyone with a restraining order against them and anyone committing a crime could not legally carry a concealed weapon.

Concealed weapons are defined as a handgun, an electric weapon, a billy club or a knife other than a switchblade.

Hope this passes!

Comment

Originally posted by HEDP View Post

Hope this passes!
      It's amazing. How can WI be worse the California when it comes to carry permits?

Comment

I'm just amazed at the fact that "police organizations" are dead against law abiding citizens being able to protect themselves and their loved ones.

I welcome all law abiding citizens from being armed.

Comment

Can an officer from a department outside WI carry their personal firearm while traveling through and/or on vacation in WI?

Comment

Originally posted by baruchstone View Post
            Can an officer from a department outside WI carry their personal firearm while traveling through and/or on vacation in WI?
            If you are a sworn LEO working for a municipality and your job requires you and qualifies you to carry a firearm, you are covered by HR218 AKA LEOSA.

Comment

Never understood term limits because we have term limits every time we vote, but no one ever got replaced. Anyway NE CCW was discussed for like 8years with no action. Term limits go in, out with the old in with the new, and I thought ok here comes more years of discussion with new crew. Bang first time it passed, next year, bang range protection laws, and discussing castle doctrine for self defense, one right after the other stuff is getting done in this state. So term limits do work, they should not but they do.

Comment

Originally posted by M1garand View Post
                If you are a sworn LEO working for a municipality and your job requires you and qualifies you to carry a firearm, you are covered by HR218 AKA LEOSA.

So, if you are a licensed officer in one state/municipality you can carry a pistol through WI while off-duty?

Comment

Originally posted by HEDP View Post
                  So, if you are a licensed officer in one state/municipality you can carry a pistol through WI while off-duty?
                  I do it all the time whenever I drive through to Chicago. Been stopped a few times over the years by the Troopers and have never had an issue after I tell them I'm carrying my off-duty weapon.
                  The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

So I guess NY isn't the bottom of the barrel when it comes to CCW.

Comment

If HR218 applies you can carry nationwide, including Wisconsin.
                      There are two versions of the bill, tone requiring a license and one not.

Comment

Originally posted by M1garand View Post
                        I'm just amazed at the fact that "police organizations" are dead against law abiding citizens being able to protect themselves and their loved ones.
                        ^^^^^^ This puzzles me too... the general pulse I've seen on this site is that most LEO's support CHL/CCW. Yet whenever I see this kind of legislation in the news, the "police organizations" are always opposed to it.

Why is that?
                        John Q. Citizen

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Comment

Originally posted by JQC View Post
                          ^^^^^^ This puzzles me too... the general pulse I've seen on this site is that most LEO's support CHL/CCW. Yet whenever I see this kind of legislation in the news, the "police organizations" are always opposed to it.

Why is that?
                          Individual LEO's overwhelming support CCW. LEO organizations (IACP, WPPA, etc) overwhelming oppose the legislation. I'll let you draw the lines as why there's a difference....
                          Originally posted by kontemplerande
                          Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Originally posted by d525 View Post
                            If HR218 applies you can carry nationwide, including Wisconsin.
                            There are two versions of the bill, tone requiring a license and one not.
                            If you are an active LEO (meeting standards set forth by the U.S. Gov) you carry your piece under your LEO cred. If you are retired LEO (again, must meet criteria set by the U.S. Gov), you can carry as well with your Dept. retiree ID and proof of qualification.

Comment

Originally posted by JQC View Post

Why is that?
                              Because good number of policy/decision makers of LE agencies are mostly politically motivated and politically appointed individuals.

However, there are Sheriffs and State Police who are extremely pro-2nd amend.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5642 users online. 357 members and 5285 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X