• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Could Happen To You!

Tomah, Wisconsin..................

This looks like suicide by cop!

"T" Stop Shootout
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Glad to see the hail of bullets in return. I've been through Tomah many times while going to visit family in eastern WI. Definitely a small city, but they do have lots of traffic as they are at the intersection of I-90 and I-94.

Comment

Here's an article related to the incident...

Synopsis: driver of red pick up was a suspect in multiple, random drive-by shootings along I-90 in Wisconsin and Illinois. One injury (a lady struck by a bullet that came through the door of her house) was reported. LE got info that he was the suspect, so they stopped him, which led to what you see in the video. During the shootout, one officer was struck in the foot. He is expecting to return to work sometime during the summer. He lost part of a toe.

I'm glad the officer is okay. This could have gone VERY badly with how calmly the suspect was conducting himself.

Originally posted by NBC15.com
      UPDATED Wednesday, May 4, 2011 --- 7:15 a.m.

*NOTE: Police release dash cam video of the shootout. Click on the video link ABOVE for video.

From WEAU.com [NBC15's sister station in Eau Claire]:

EAU CLAIRE (WEAU) - Police officers shoot and kill a man after he opened fire, and it's all caught on tape. We talked with the officer hit in the shootout. The officers involved in that deadly shooting are cleared as the District Attorney says they were justified to use deadly force.

From the moment Seth McCloskey opened his door to the moment he opened fire was only two and a half seconds but for the man who took one of his bullets, time stood still.

"Felt like minutes, it honestly did, and I got to see the video last week it’s very surprising to see how long it really took," says Tomah Police Officer Josh Kenworthy, who was shot in the foot by the gunman.

In just about six seconds McCloskey fired at least eight shots, hitting Officer Kenworthy in the foot. As a result he lost part of a toe.

“It didn't hurt when it first happened, I didn't realize it, I felt something and saw the exit wound in the boot but the suspect was still shooting so I had to continue with the exchange. It wasn't until after I got behind some cover then the pain set in," says Kenworthy.

He was one of four Tomah cops in the shootout. Monroe County District Attorney, Daniel Cary, says the officers were justified in using deadly force.

“It's clear to me Mr. McCloskey's intent was to take the life of one of these officers or both," says Cary.

Earlier on April 22nd, Tomah Police say the 28-year-old was a suspect in a drive-by shooting in town. They say someone at a bar told McCloskey police were looking for him.

"That allowed him to make decisions in the relationship to what he was going to do at that traffic stop," says Tomah Police Chief Wes Revels.

Once the Tomah Officers shot at the stolen truck he was driving, they called for back up. That's when a SWAT Team found him dead in the truck. Police don't know if he has ties to Tomah, if he was responsible for the drive by shooting in town or several others that came to light later, here in Wisconsin and Illinois. Now the Department of Criminal Investigation is trying to piece it all together while praising the police work.

"The officers were heroes here," says Special Agent Jed Sperry, with DCI.

As for Kenworthy, he expects to be back on the job later this summer.

"I'm chomping at the bit; I am getting a little stir crazy sitting at home," says Kenworthy.

Investigators say McCloskey had an Ohio driver’s license and had been traveling through several states before the shooting.
      Originally posted by NBC15.com
      Press Release:
      Date of Release: April 26, 2011; 3:18 p.m.
      Date/Time of Incident: April 22, 2011; 6:25 p.m.
      Type of Incident: Officer Involved Shooting
      Place of Occurrence: 200 Block of East Saratoga
      Suspect: White male, deceased

The male suspect from the officer involved shooting that occurred in the City of Tomah on April 22, 2011 has been identified as SETH M. MCCLOSKEY, date-of-birth 7-26-82. He had an Ohio driver’s license.

The suspect has a prior criminal history in other states throughout the United States.

The investigation into this matter is continuing; to include making contact with other law enforcement agencies in Dane County, Rock County and the State of Illinois to determine whether or not the drive-by shooting that occurred in the City of Tomah on April 22, 2011 is related to other drive-by shootings.

The officers involved in the traffic stop that resulted in the officer involved shooting were: Sergeant Chris Weaver, Sergeant Scott Holum, Officer Josh Kenworthy and Officer Jennifer Helgerson.
      sigpic

Comment

Letting the truck roll off was a tactical mistake, trying to take on a vehicle with a handgun was also a mistake. Idiots loose in this scenario. No doubt the video should clear up any misconceptions as to need to use lethal force, proper documentation is always good.

Comment

I'm glad no officers were killed.
          “Every society gets the kind of criminal it deserves. What is equally true is that every community gets the kind of law enforcement it insists on.” - Robert F. Kennedy.

Comment

Great job. Glad the officer only took one in the toe. Stay safe out there, all of you poor beggars!
            #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
            Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
            RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
            Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
            "Smile" - no!

Comment

Originally posted by David Hineline View Post
              Letting the truck roll off was a tactical mistake, trying to take on a vehicle with a handgun was also a mistake
              Well I've never been in a situation like this, but what would you suggest? Or were you talking about the bad guy?

With the events that happened, I don't see any way the officer could have reached into his vehicle or trunk for a bigger weapon, or how they were supposed to stop that truck. Of course, no one needs to share their special tactical tricks.

Comment

Originally posted by Item9 View Post
                Well I've never been in a situation like this, but what would you suggest? Or were you talking about the bad guy?

With the events that happened, I don't see any way the officer could have reached into his vehicle or trunk for a bigger weapon, or how they were supposed to stop that truck. Of course, no one needs to share their special tactical tricks.
                Yes he was talking about the bad guy.

I have seen this scenario before except it was done with an AK from the bad guy. Instant door open instant 7.62x39 on the cruiser and officer.

Thankfully in this scenario things turned out the right way for the officers.
                The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Originally posted by jcioccke
                After I hit it, I would be disgusted with her

Comment

Originally posted by NYCDep View Post
                  +1!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCDep View Post
                    +2

Comment

Very glad all of the officers are going to be OK.

Not your typical gang-banger. I wonder what the story is. I will make a WAG and say he's some sort of disgrunteled sovereign-citizen. It seems that is the flavor of the month.
                      There are basically two kinds of people in this world. Those that believe in the moon landing and those that don't.
                      http://unistat76.blogspot.com/

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5207 users online. 278 members and 4929 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X