300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shakes Head ...

I seen someone today that reminded me of something that happened to my daughter a couple years ago.

First I want to say, and many of you already know that I have great respect for LEO's and the job you're doing.

But really??

I know that many of you would never do this, or at least if you do this in your daily routine, it might not hurt to hear how this makes reg citizens feel toward you. And why some people sterotype based on these kinds of experiences.

My daughter is vacationing at the beach, staying with her friend and former high school science teacher. They had a great relationship that remained beyond her high school years. So she would invite her down to spend a week or so in the summers.

She gets a phone call from a detective (she was 18 then and also a CJ Student) the detective has her scared to death, crying, and totally freaking out, because he told her that her car was just in a hit and run accident 6 hours away. She told him no, she is driving her car, and she is 6hrs away not possible. He called her on her cell phone, which was very strange to me. He told her she was lying and if she wasn't at his station in so many hours he would be issuing a warrant for her arrest. This hit her out of the blue, and not being true, and young, it terrified her to think she would get arrested if she didn't go to PD as he instructed, which wasn't possible either.

She again told him there's no way, it would take 6hrs to get there, anyway they hang up and she called me totally freaking out, crying, and I said okay, what is his name and phone number and I will call him and talk with him.

This man is a total jerk, he told me he had parents trying to lie for kids all the time. I was lying to cover for her, and it was utter bs and she better show up. He has an eyewitness that seen her and put her car and tag number on the scene of the hit and run.

It just wasn't possible, so then I was getting very upset, I am not a liar.

I told him she was a college student with limited funds if she came back, her vacation would be blown, because she didn't have enough money to go back. He still insisted we were lying. Me being me, I told my daughter to stay put, go the local police dept show them her license, have them acknowledge her car was infact in their parking lot, and fax a statement to him stating that.

Furious with this detective's conduct basically calling both of us a liar, I called the town mgr and informed them of this. When she got home, we requested a meeting with the chief and town mgr to ask some questions as to why the dect kept insisting we were lying, and how he got her cell phone #.

My daughter worked in asset protection for Tarjay at the time, the guy whose car was in the hit and run said that his girlfriend took the car and it must of been her. There was a phone number in a police report where this guy was involved in something at Tarjay and my daughter was the one who filed the police report, which was her job, and they had her name and cell as a call back in this report.

The detective thought that this was the girlfriend's phone number. He had no evidence other than a name, a phone number in a report, and hearsay.

I dunno, shaking my head ... I know you guys get lied to everyday, but really?? When you know your bluffing ... I mean how do you justify calling everyone you deal with a liar and not give the benefit of the doubt.

I have to say, that was the worst experience I've ever had with an individual insisting I was lying when I wasn't. He would not budge. The Chief and Town Mgr were awesome, answered all our questions, and explained it all. They made him apologize to my daughter, and me but even then he was still a first class jerk, he wasn't sorry a bit.

Don't get me wrong, it didn't change how I feel about the jobs you do and the risk you take in doing them, and the appreciation I have when I need it, but it doesn't change how I feel about this individual either. I just shake my head when I see him, he was wonderful in making you feel awful when in fact all the lying was being done on his end.

I dunno I think when you know your bluffing there's a point of going to far.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. - Leo Buscaglia

~~ Life's a garden, dig it ~~

Sorry for your problems but none of us were there, we are only hearing one side of the story and won't second guess the officer on scene.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Not looking for second guesses. Only food for thought in your daily routines. The matter was handled long ago, just seen someone that brought memories back.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. - Leo Buscaglia

Comment

Originally posted by carolina View Post
        Not looking for second guesses. Only food for thought in your daily routines. The matter was handled long ago, just seen someone that brought memories back.

Sounds like a bad memory
        Are you trying to "teach" us about investigations? I am always suspicious of posts that start off with .........."I have great respect for Law Enforcement and...."
        then goes on to describe a single incident

You know, the majority of contact LEO's have with the public are positive, but are these ever posted here?

If what you said is true, you got your meeting, questions answered and an apology. What more do you want?

I don't think anyone here is going to speculate about what happened or why based solely on your opinion.

Have the best day ever!
        "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

As a matter of forum policy, we do not crtique, criticise, analyze. second guess, or monday morning quarterback the actions of other Officers. Denials to the contrary, that's exactly what you'd like us to do. You seem to have exercised your right to complain about the Officer's alleged actions. An action by the way, which we often encourage. I too, am always suspect when a post begins with "I've always had respect for law enforcement". "I respect what you guys do", the BS goes on and on. Your problem has been addressed . What more do you want?

Comment

My apologies. Maybe I didn't word it the best, now that I look back at it. Truth is just detective got next to me. Never had that happen to me before, but lol I've never been in situations that called for professional interaction either.

No, I wouldn't ask you to speculate, or even believe me now, guess it goes along with the job ... to base things of fact not hearsay. I know at this point with out the facts ... it's just that ...

I know you don't know the facts at this point. Maybe that is a good "lesson" for me to understand as well ... I guess he didn't have all the facts at that point in time either. Once he did that was the end of it.

I think the point that I was trying to make was that not everyone lies to the police and it makes you feel like crap to be talked to in that manner, when your just trying to explain.

I surely wouldn't tell you how to do your job, my only point was food for thought in how doing your job makes some feel.

Once the Chief was involved, and the proof was faxed and I guess more investigations were done, that was the end of it.

The Chief was great, and actually listened to what was being said. Then verified it. I am sure you have people lie to you daily, and it may seem the norm ... but there are rare occasions when someone is telling the truth. I think what I disliked the most in this instance was being told I was lying period, no I'll investigate, just your lying.

Thanks RKT you made me realize without the facts it doesn't really matter what is said. I have had far more good experiences than bad. And people are people some are personable some are not, or do not communicate in the same manner as others.

I don't want anything more other than to say not everyone is untruthful.

Comment

Ok, first off I will not second guess the Detective or whoever contacted you. Who cares if he was a jerk? There are jerks everywhere. If an employee of McDonalds is a jerk to you when you get lunch, do you go post some rant on their website? Not everyone is sunny and happy 24/7. That's the way life is. Glad you got it straightened out though.

Comment

Dunno boss. I've probably worked 30 hit and runs in my career where I could prove someone was lying to me and even faced with the proof, they would still continue feeding me crap.

I'm sorry the detective was a jerk. But I wasn't there and I don't know all the facts, so I have a hard time getting too mad at him.

Comment

[QUOTE=Ohio5-0;2739248]Ok, first off I will not second guess the Detective or whoever contacted you. Who cares if he was a jerk? There are jerks everywhere. If an employee of McDonalds is a jerk to you when you get lunch, do you go post some rant on their website? Not everyone is sunny and happy 24/7. That's the way life is. Glad you got it straightened out though.[/QUOTE

Point taken. LOL Thanks. It was long ago. And yes, I might got to Mickey D's and post on Customer Service if they had a forum ... LOL Now I'm kicking myself for posting this, everyone is human we all make mistakes. Some things just get under your skin more than others.

Comment

I would be more concerned about your daughter's highschool science teacher if I were you!

Comment

Originally posted by HatTrick5oh View Post
                      I would be more concerned about your daughter's highschool science teacher if I were you!
                      lol, good point!!

Comment

Just an idea about how to respond to any situation like this in the future:

The person who wants to prove they are in another city could drive to the nearest police station and ask the local police to call the detective and verify her location. I think most police officers would be glad to help someone who was falsely accused of hit-and-run. Cops want to catch the actual perpetrator; I presume that the detective thought he had the bad guy which is why he was so adamant. If a police officer in Charlotte, NC gets a phone call from a police officer in Dayton, OH confirming that you are standing in front of him, it's pretty clear that you weren't in Charlotte an hour ago. I know it's too late for this time, but just in case something similar comes up in the future...

I'm just saying that instead of trying to argue with the police, you are usually better off to enlist their help.
                        "Son, you are a walkin' violation of the laws of nature...But we don't enforce them laws."

I am just a country boy tryin' to make some sense
                        But I'd like to ask the Congress, I'd like to ask the President
                        "Can ya tell me where all the money went?"
                        We might not be broke but we're badly bent!

The Tractors -- "Badly Bent" from the album Owner's Manual

"Common sense. So rare, it should be a super power." Exodus 259

Comment

Hey Carolina I think you are lying......sorry I just couldnt resist.
                          Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.

We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

Comment

If I had a dollar for every time someone insisted that they were telling the truth to me and swore to God or on someone's life - and they were actually lying - over the last 10 years - I could retire...he thought you were lying until you/your daughter proved you weren't...then he apologized for his actions...what more could you want?!?

If something were to happen to your daughter (God forbid) - who do you want working the case?! Some nice and polite Mother Theresa-like cop who is going to tip toe around and be nice and polite and take every suspect at their word - or a hard-chaging go all out never quit demand proof ba**s to the wall less-than-polite street cop who is gonna find the suspect?!? I know what I would want...
                            Originally posted by RSGSRT
                            We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                            Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Originally posted by carolina View Post
                              She gets a phone call from a detective (she was 18 then and also a CJ Student) the detective has her scared to death, crying, and totally freaking out, because he told her that her car was just in a hit and run accident 6 hours away. She told him no, she is driving her car, and she is 6hrs away not possible. He called her on her cell phone, which was very strange to me. He told her she was lying and if she wasn't at his station in so many hours he would be issuing a warrant for her arrest.
                              My phone would have lost signal at that point and I would have enjoyed my vacation.
                              The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Originally posted by jcioccke
                              After I hit it, I would be disgusted with her

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3595 users online. 206 members and 3389 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X