300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vehicle safety inspection

In Virginia we have to have an annual inspection, this is run by our state police, when I first started driving it was every 6 months. I found this most annoying but not anymore.

Now my rant.

In MD a person gets a safety inspection when they register the car. In DC only cars for hire need to get the safety inspection. On my way to work this morning there was a car from MD that had no muffler, the noise was not calming. My guess is the person can drive like this as long as they want. They can have bad breaks, tires, and many safety issues for long periods putting others at risk.

I get a mandatory inspection, they check for a lot of safety things. The plus side to this, I know my breaks, tires, lights and so on are in working condition as well as my fellow VA drivers.

Does your state have safety inspections? Who runs the program?
    It's not that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so. Ronald Reagan

TSA, I would rather be felt up than blown up.

Now for emissions inspection. My only problem is that people living outside if the larger cities don't have to get this, yet they can drive in the city areas.
    It's not that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so. Ronald Reagan

Comment

Believe me, I understand your angst. Alabama does not have Motor Vehicle Inspection , however, a Peace Officer has authority to inspect a vehicle if he/she sees or hears an obvious safety violation. Additionally, each of the violations you referenced are citable in Alabama, and each of the fifty states.

Comment

Originally posted by Justsaying View Post
        ...On my way to work this morning there was a car from MD that had no muffler, the noise was not calming...
        Turbos, not mufflers, are the answer.

My fun car is somewhat quiet under light loads, but sounds like a jet once the turbo spools up. Thankfully, most GA officers are fellow gear heads.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbonfiberfoot View Post
          Turbos, not mufflers, are the answer.

My fun car is somewhat quiet under light loads, but sounds like a jet once the turbo spools up. Thankfully, most GA officers are fellow gear heads.

Thank you but I know the difference. This was a piece of sht car that needs a trip to the shop, it was not a turbo.

To add to my rant on this matter, a friend got me to driver her truck over a bridge, she is afraid to. Her headlights don't light the road, I told her they needed to be adjusted and she told me they passed inspection. Sure 8 years ago, I told her I can't drive her truck at night until they are fixed. I did drive over the bridge, when driving on the unlit highway it was not an easy task. I dont think she even knew it was that way, it took time for the adjustment to be off.

I think all cars that are driven in the US should have yearly safety inspections. They don't cost that much and may save us from a costly crash.

Comment

Thank you but I know the difference. This was a piece of sht car that needs a trip to the shop, it was not a turbo.

To add to my rant on this matter, a friend got me to driver her truck over a bridge, she is afraid to. Her headlights don't light the road, I told her they needed to be adjusted and she told me they passed inspection. Sure 8 years ago, I told her I can't drive her truck at night until they are fixed. I did drive over the bridge, when driving on the unlit highway it was not an easy task. I dont think she even knew it was that way, it took time for the adjustment to be off.

I think all cars that are driven in the US should have yearly safety inspections. They don't cost that much and may save us from a costly crash.
            That would really help with the DIY HID lights that are incorrectly aimed, boy do those things **** me off.
            Life is what you make of it

Comment

...I think all cars that are driven in the US should have yearly safety inspections. They don't cost that much and may save us from a costly crash.
              Just what we need... more government intrusion and expense, more hoops for me to jump through every year with a state employee who does not give a ____ about their job or my satisfaction with their performance. You may be willing to give up one of your days off for such a 'service', but I doubt >50% of the population is.

I prefer the current arrangement: let officers pull over POS vehicles and determine their roadworthiness, impound or ticket accordingly

Comment

Just what we need... more government intrusion and expense, more hoops for me to jump through every year with a state employee who does not give a ____ about their job or my satisfaction with their performance. You may be willing to give up one of your days off for such a 'service', but I doubt >50% of the population is.

I prefer the current arrangement: let officers pull over POS vehicles and determine their roadworthiness, impound or ticket accordingly

I would much rather my police offers fight crime and not have to check to see my car is safe enough. Most gas stations have state inspections, it takes up to 45 minutes if there is a line.

I am guessing that most LEOs don't want to be our car inspectors.

Comment

I see your point but you don't need to know much about cars to be an officer. Plus even if they did, they wouldn't be able to spot things like bad brakes.

All they check in GA is emissions and that's only in metro ATL. NC did the safety checks but I can't quite remember what they checked.
                  Last edited by skp; 04-27-2011, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MD11pilot View Post
                    That would really help with the DIY HID lights that are incorrectly aimed, boy do those things **** me off.
                    Yup, I write them all if not OEM.

Comment

Just to clarify, the Virginia State Police oversees the car inspection program. Inspections are done by mechanics at garages, dealerships, gas stations.... I don't mind the inspection, everything gets checked - lights, brakes, horn, emergency brake, belts, tires... it's a little comforting to know that the cars I am driving around for the most part have safe equipment.

Comment

No annual inspection here.....smog check every couple of years.

YOU are responsible for maintaining and inspecting your car, not the government.
                        The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by John0397 View Post
                          Just to clarify, the Virginia State Police oversees the car inspection program. Inspections are done by mechanics at garages, dealerships, gas stations.... I don't mind the inspection, everything gets checked - lights, brakes, horn, emergency brake, belts, tires... it's a little comforting to know that the cars I am driving around for the most part have safe equipment.
                          So... knowing how honest mechanics are, do you guys get many reports of them trying to take advantage of people by way of the safety inspection?

Comment

No inspections here, hence all the junk cars. The German TUV laws are known to be tough but then again they hold a lot of pride in automotive ownership hence the low amount of junkers there.
                            Life is what you make of it

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                              No annual inspection here.....smog check every couple of years.

YOU are responsible for maintaining and inspecting your car, not the government.

Yes we are responsible for our cars but many people don't take care of them, it becomes my problem when the driver that has breaks and tires that are 20,000 miles over due plows in to me. Or the same driver cant stop on a rainy day while I am walking across the street and he runs over me..

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3373 users online. 178 members and 3195 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X