Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Couple arraigned on charges they stomped an elderly man to death amid domestic disput

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple arraigned on charges they stomped an elderly man to death amid domestic disput

A pair of lovebirds facing life as jailbirds were arraigned Sunday on charges they capped a boozy date by stomping a would-be good Samaritan to death in the street.

Quintin Guerrero, 61, was killed when he rushed to aid one of his accused attackers, Tosheba Alford, 20, after she jumped out of a moving cab in front of his Bronx house to escape a beating from her boyfriend, Alford's mother, Queen Smith, said.

Alford told cops she never raised a hand to man who tried to help her, insisting she attempted to stop her boyfriend, Kendall Major, 35, from killing Guerrero.

"He [Major] started punching and kicking the man. I tried to pull Kendall off," Alford told detectives, according to a prosecutor.

Witnesses, including the cabbie who drove the pair to the Bronx, claimed Alford was as responsible as Major for the 1:30 a.m. Saturday beatdown in Mott Haven.

"It was very horrifying to see," said livery cab driver Angel Ruiz, 47, who called 911 and helped cops track down the pair.

Major and Alford were arraigned Sunday in Bronx Supreme Court on second-degree murder charges.

They were ordered held without bail, pending an April 28 grand jury hearing.

The couple, who had spent the evening drinking heavily, were headed to Major's house in the Bronx when they started fighting in the back of Ruiz's livery cab, Smith said.

She told reporters her daughter called her from the cab when Major started hitting her, accusing her of having an incestuous relationship with her brother.

Smith said her daughter jumped out of the moving cab, hurting her leg. She limped over and sat down on Guerrero's front stoop, prompting the victim to come out of his house and check on her.

As Guerrero was asking Alford if she was hurt, Major jumped out of the cab, pummeled Guerrero to the ground and kicked him repeatedly, Alford told her mother.

"She'd never put a foot on anyone," Smith said of her daughter.

Prosecutors scoffed at Major's statement that Guerrero hit him first and told him to "mind your own business."

Meanwhile, Ruiz was praised as a hero Sunday by his colleagues at the New York State Federation of Taxi Drivers, who awarded him with a $500 check and a bullet proof vest for helping cops nab the killers.

"A lot of drivers don't like to get involved, but I don't mind being involved," said Ruiz. "If more drivers would get involved the streets might be a little be safer.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_c...#ixzz1Kg3ANZ6q

While this is a horrible story, it is also what may happen if citizens stand up against thuggery. It was very heroic what that man did. Unfortunately, he paid with his life. So, I guess what I am getting at is that I wish more citizens would play an active role in keeping society safe. But, then I read stories like this and I am unsure as a civilian myself, whether it is the best thing to do. I guess it is a double edged sword. I have been in a situation similar to this and I think about what could have happened to me. What I mean is that I intervened.
    Last edited by jason860; 04-26-2011, 08:29 PM.
    Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
    ~Mark Twain

Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity."
    — Horace Mann

Yeah I suppose standing by and watching 2 thugs stomp a old man to death is the safest way to go.
    Last edited by Vorkon; 04-26-2011, 07:30 PM.
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water.

Comment

I personally wouldn't step in to help but I DO know the number to 911 and I can dial it pretty quickly! I'd be pretty loud about announcing the pretty red and blue lights that have that really loud noise as a ride along is on its way though!
      I'm old......that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by Vorkon View Post
        Yeah I suppose standing by and watching 2 thugs stomp a old man to death is the safest way to go.
        I understand what you mean. As I said, I wish more people got involved. I myself, could not live with watching a person get stomped to death without intervention. That is something you have to live with forever. However, the honorable man is now dead. And this could happen to anyone who tried what he did. I believe in civilian unity and protecting each other. The real shame is that a lot of people would not risk themselves to save others."Cowards die many times before their deaths. The valiant never taste of death but once." by Shakespeare. But, who will take care of your kids once your gone?
        Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
        ~Mark Twain

Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
        ~Thomas Jefferson

"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity."
        — Horace Mann

Comment

If I wasn't disabled and would be a help and not a hindrence,I'd physically step in! For me,I'd be more help by using my phone........and not to video tape it! No permit to carry concealed in my state now could make it so I could physically help now.
          I'm old......that's all.

Comment

Damn that - I wouldn't hesitate to tell them to knock that s**t off after calling 911...if they want to come after me, I got 10 rounds with their name on it!
            Originally posted by RSGSRT
            We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
            Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

I would have stopped and helped but then again I am not in my 60's. I am not sure if I will be so quick to help and just dial 911 when I get older. This story just sucks.
              Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.

We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

Comment

Being a good witness is almost as good as stepping in. Being in the business that most of us are in we would probably step in to stop the beating but if you are unwilling or unable to intervene calling 911 and helping identify the attackers is the next best thing.
                "You can't handcuff me, I'm a college graduate!"
                (Smurfette)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3046 users online. 162 members and 2884 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X