Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eastpointe (Michigan) K9 Officer Struck by Car During Traffic Stop

http://www.macombdaily.com/articles/...mode=fullstory

An Eastpointe police canine officer was rushed to the hospital late Monday after he was struck by an alleged drunk driver while conducting a traffic stop on northbound Gratiot at Wilson.

The veteran officer was reported to be in temporary serious condition at an undisclosed hospital, according to police Chief Michael Lauretti. Several officers were also at the hospital early today awaiting word on the injured law enforcer’s condition.

The incident happened about 10:40 p.m. after the officer stopped a white pickup truck for a traffic offense and was making an arrest. After he handcuffed and placed the suspect in the police vehicle, the officer was struck by an oncoming Malibu.

The Malibu crashed into the rear of the police car, knocking the officer unconscious to the ground in front of Paul’s Liquor Market and the patrol car then struck the parked truck. The officer’s flashlight was found nearby in a puddle.

“A citizen who stopped at the scene actually called us on the officer’s radio while the officer was on the ground,” Lauretti said.

Both the driver of the pickup truck and the driver who caused the accident were also taken to the hospital for treatment of unknown injuries.

A Madison Heights police officer was called to the scene to coax the police dog out of the patrol car. The dog was rushed to a veterinarian clinic but its injuries were not considered life-threatening, Lauretti said.

Officers from Roseville and St. Clair Shores also responded to the scene to assist Eastpointe officers in responding to other calls while the accident investigation was being conducted.

Police closed northbound Gratiot at Stephens while the investigation was underway.
    I saw the aftermath on my way home from the gym after work - it gave me chills...it happened a few blocks from my house...please keep Officer **** and his canine in your prayers.
    Last edited by Aerohead; 04-26-2011, 12:13 AM. Reason: took out the officer's name
    Originally posted by RSGSRT
    We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
    Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Why do these damned drunks keep hitting police cars that make trafficv stops? I lost a good friend to a similar situation last year.
    Though their numbers are many, as the grass upon the field, we will count them at the end of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by kingsman View Post
      Why do these damned drunks keep hitting police cars that make trafficv stops? I lost a good friend to a similar situation last year.
      In our area we noticed that they tend to go for the yellow strobes most often. It's like having bugs attracted to a bug zapper.. It's getting ridiculous.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXzJGA8pyA0
      OPEN KEY - FINAL CALL
      To remember those harshly influenced or killed in the line of duty.

Comment

Originally posted by kingsman View Post

Target fixation would be the operative term. Drivers (or pilots) tend to steer towards something they are concentrating on, when we are sober we have coping mechanisms we use to avoid hitting things, when they are drunk they do not have those coping mechanisms, or they are delayed.

Bill
        Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

Someone said that the flashing lights are confusing when you're drunk and instead of avoiding them the drunks drive right into them...we had a deputy blocking the road for an accident with his car and a drunk ran right into his car - luckily no one was hurt (gotta love the crown vics!) as the drunk was driving a little rice burner so it just glanced off the scout car...

I cannot stand drunk drivers...
          We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
          Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Originally posted by Aerohead View Post
            Someone said that the flashing lights are confusing when you're drunk and instead of avoiding them the drunks drive right into them...we had a deputy blocking the road for an accident with his car and a drunk ran right into his car - luckily no one was hurt (gotta love the crown vics!) as the drunk was driving a little rice burner so it just glanced off the scout car...

I cannot stand drunk drivers...
            When they train fighter pilots they haver to teach them to overcome this tendency (or so the autobiography of fighter pilots say anyway) the natural tendency is to fly the plane right into the target.
            Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

Except in obvious real emergency stops I have never understood why policy would not just excort a perp to the next exit where a stop would be safer, why pull off a major road at increased risk to everyone.

All our driver's training says if something is wrong steer to the right, so a driver drunk or tired gets startled and steers to the right in reaction.

Comment

Latest update: Officer Diegel is in a medically induced coma due to bruising and swelling of his brain - he is also on a ventilator but will hopefully be successfully taken off of it today or tomorrow - he will need extensive facial reconstruction surgery...

Tiko (the canine) suffered a broken tooth but otherwise was unharmed physically...

The driver was charged with multiple offenses including his SECOND DWI and open intox in a motor vehicle...he had his arraignment today...

Comment

A 26-year-old Goodrich man was arraigned today on charges that he was driving under the influence of alcohol when his vehicle struck an Eastpointe police vehicle, seriously injuring an officer.

Brian Osmond faces charges of operating while intoxicated causing serious injuries, a 5-year felony; second-offense drunken driving, punishable by five days to a year in jail and having an open alcohol container in the vehicle, a 90-day misdemeanor.

The crash occurred Monday night as Officer Randy Diegel was standing near his parked Ford Explorer (It's actually an Expedition) SUV, getting ready to search a vehicle he had stopped on Gratiot Avenue near Wilson, Eastpointe Lt. Dave Ernatt said.

Witnesses said Osmond’s vehicle did not have headlights on and was traveling between 50 and 55 m.p.h. in the 40 m.p.h. zone when it hit the police SUV, pushing it into Diegel.

Police said two witnesses stopped to render aid to Diegel and used his police radio to call for help.

Diegel’s K9 partner Tico, which was inside the SUV, suffered a chipped tooth, Ernatt said.

Osmond’s bond was set at $100,000 cash or surety at today’s arraignment. If he is able to post bond, he will have to wear a GPS tether.

Comment

The East Detroit Police Officers Association
                    has set up an account with the Parda
                    Federal Credit Union, with all donations to
                    go to Diegel and his family. Anyone
                    interested in donating can write a check to:
                    EDPOA FBO Officer Diegel, Eastpointe
                    Police Department, 16083 E. Nine Mile
                    Road, Eastpointe, MI 48021.
                    From what I've been told from friends of Officer Diegel - IF he pulls through, he will most likely never be a police officer again, let alone a functional person. This scum piece of s**t drunk driver took away not only a great cop, but a father of 3 young children and a husband. If you can find it in your heart to donate, please do. The F.O.P. Lodge I belong to is going to donate money to him, and I posted the notice at work (along with other Deputies who posted notice about today's prayer service). The last update was that he is still on a ventilator and has extensive swelling and bruising on his brain and is going to need facial reconstruction surgery, but he was able to move one of his hands. If you pray, please say a prayer for him.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4830 users online. 161 members and 4669 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X