300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chemical Suicide

Yes, I know it's been a long time. I'll catch everyone up later on what's been going on around here with off grid living, animals, farming, flooding, etc. However, I do have a serious question.

I'm going through First Responder training and this was a topic that was covered a couple of days ago. EVERYONE showed up for this. Police, EMT, FR, FR trainees, area volunteer fire fighters, and the local doctor and local coroner (not one in the same.)

This scared the crap out of me, especially the cyanide one. Anyone ever deal with this?
    http://hoppeshomestead.blogspot.com/

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. – Thomas Jefferson

deal with what?
    Originally posted by crass cop
    Just do it in front of a camera and try not to get a boner and you shoudl be fine.

Comment

A chemical suicide. A person slumped over in a vehicle dead or in a closet dead due to chemical (detergent) suicide.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. – Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I assume you are referring to the suicides where the idiot seals himself in a vehicle with a certain type of toxic lethal chemical(s) inside? Then no, I never experienced it or seen it but have heard of it. All the more important to do a scene size up for every scene.

Comment

Yes, that. Sitting in the class watching video and listening to this, it definitely makes me think twice about going up to a vehicle and doing anything more than tapping on the glass.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. Hoppes View Post
            Yes, that. Sitting in the class watching video and listening to this, it definitely makes me think twice about going up to a vehicle and doing anything more than tapping on the glass.
            Just remember don't blindly rush in, do your size up and look for the signs. If I remember correctly the doors may be taped, there may be a fog or residue on the glass and the obvious idiot slumped over? It's been a while.
            Last edited by westside popo; 04-25-2011, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Most of the people that are committing suicide in this fashion leave very visible notes to that effect.

Back off and call for HazMat.
              The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

I've been through quite number of first responder chemical training and one of the videos DHS/FEMA showed us was an officer responding to rescue a driver of a truck filled with chemical mixture and officer didn't realize what he was going into. He died within minutes and that was caught on his dash cam. If you are not sure or if it seems like beyond your training and pay grade, call for help and let someone with proper equipment/training handle it.

Comment

There was a dash video here on o.com of an officer who drive up to an accident where an anhydrous ammonia tank had overturned and was leaking. I had a friend whose dad got a dose of anhydrous in the face from a hose that laid in the sun and got hot, it blinded him....it is impossible to describe what his eyes looked like even years later.

Bill
                  Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                    Most of the people that are committing suicide in this fashion leave very visible notes to that effect.

Most, but not all. I can remember reading about a handful that have not had signs. Another thing to be aware of is a strong smell of sulfur, which is noticeable in some instances. As always keep your head on straight, and trust in your "spidey senses".

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post

only call ive ever been to like this was a gal with a hose from her tailpipe stuck through the slightly opened drivers window. even had receipts from a local hardware store for the hose and duct tape on the seat next to her. dead...and a note taped to the steering wheel.
                      Just do it in front of a camera and try not to get a boner and you shoudl be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by willbird View Post
                        There was a dash video here on o.com of an officer who drive up to an accident where an anhydrous ammonia tank had overturned and was leaking. I had a friend whose dad got a dose of anhydrous in the face from a hose that laid in the sun and got hot, it blinded him....it is impossible to describe what his eyes looked like even years later.

Bill
                        that vid you speak of was bogus...training film...

Comment

Originally posted by LaPlaca View Post
                          regardless, that exact scenario is very common. Actually happened around my neck of the woods somewhat recently.
                          Last edited by headonstraight; 04-25-2011, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LaPlaca View Post
                            Oh really ?? Well that is good I suppose ? It was originally posted here as a real dash cam video.

The most "scary" cargo I have seen is molten aluminum, once you know what the containers look like you will recognize them, it is 700 degrees or more, runs like water til it cools.

Bill
                            Last edited by willbird; 04-26-2011, 07:47 AM.
                            Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

Thank you, everyone. The one chemical suicide in Missouri (that I know of) used cyanide which does not smell like rotten eggs. That is a bit more disturbing than sulfide. There is no smell for most people (about 15% can smell burnt almonds) and there are no 5 gallon buckets sitting there next to the driver.

As for "above my pay grade" first responders get paid the same as fire fighters. We're all volunteers.

And yes, I do listen to my gut. It's kept my butt out of trouble more than once.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3404 users online. 171 members and 3233 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X