• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAPD chopper makes emergency landing after being shot

Glad it landed safely...

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/04/24/...ex.html?hpt=T2

LAPD chopper makes emergency landing after being shot

By the CNN Wire StaffApril 24, 2011 7:12 p.m. EDT

Los Angeles (CNN) -- A Los Angeles Police Department helicopter had to make an emergency landing Sunday morning after a gunman opened fire on the chopper, authorities said.

The helicopter landed safely and the pilot and observer on board were not injured, said police Detective Gus Villanueva.

The incident occurred in the Van Nuys area, when police got a call at around 6 a.m. local time (9 a.m . ET) of shots being fired, police said. The helicopter was responding as backup to a patrol car dispatched to the scene.

The helicopter was at the Van Nuys airport after the incident, and was to be put on a flat-bed truck to be towed downtown for investigation and repair, authorities said.

The apparent shooter eventually was subdued by his family members, Villanueva said. A semi-automatic rifle was recovered, he said.

Police got multiple calls that a second gunman was involved, and a search was conducted Sunday afternoon, Villanueva said. That search was called off later, Villanueva said.
    sigpic

Good to hear all the good guys walked away from this.

Originally posted by CNN
    A semi-automatic rifle was recovered
    How could he have gotten a semi-automatic rifle? Gun control is supposed to prevent things like this
    "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
    -Chris Rock

Comment

That is going to be expensive for the peep.

Comment

LAPD needs to put another helo up in the area again....with an AC 130 gunship nearby to take care of future problem peeps.
        This Space For Rent

Comment

Naw, just outfit the bird with Army style self-sealing fuel tanks, bottom armor plating, and patch into the "shot spotter" gunfire system already on place on the ground. If a shot is fired, they can pinpoint the location it was fired from via GPS in seconds and take appropriate action.
          sigpic
          Originally posted by Smurfette
          Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
          Originally posted by DAL
          You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

I wonder if the helo pilot had ever been shot at before ?? IE did he have military experience ?

Bill
            Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

Just goes to show that the situation at home is getting worse. I mean think about it, we have a war going on at home. Hope those who work those beats stay safe!

Comment

Originally posted by willbird View Post
                I wonder if the helo pilot had ever been shot at before ?? IE did he have military experience ?

Bill
                Military or not. Those gang bangers shoot at cops all the time. I am sure it wasn't the first time he was shot at. Might have been the first time the chopper was hit though.

Comment

People probably shoot at the helo's more often then people know of or think. Gotta figure, the birds fly around some of the most gang filled ghetto areas of their respective jurisdictions and bangers know that. Gangs would probably give some big kudos if they shot one down, I think the department should've leaked the story as 'police helicopter makes emergency landing after bird strikes it' to keep the bangers from getting anymore bright ideas.
                  "I'm sorry, did you see my care face? Because I'm pretty sure I didn't show it to you becuase I DON'T care. Have a nice day. "

Comment

Originally posted by jannino View Post
                    Military or not. Those gang bangers shoot at cops all the time. I am sure it wasn't the first time he was shot at. Might have been the first time the chopper was hit though.
                    I just wonder if an ex military pilot flies one in a different fashion, IE is it harder to hit a chopper that is being flown by somebody used to flying one in harms way ?
                    Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4196 users online. 272 members and 3924 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X