300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ride Along With my Local PD

Last night/morning was my scheduled ride along with my local PD. I had been looking forward to this for some time, as I thought it would be neat to see my city through the windshield of those entrusted to protect it. Here is my story (or some sort of semblance of it)

I was told to report @ around 1915 as the shift was scheduled to start at 1930 for the officers assigned to it. Upon reporting to the HQ and garage, I ran across one of the officers about to be relieved of duty. Easy on the eyes she was, and pleasant to talk to (as I had to ask her where I was supposed to report for my ride along) The only reason she is a part of my story is because of her uber cool PINK handcuffs. She said this was kind of a jab at the machismo jerkous guys who have a problem being detained/arrested by a female officer.
    From there, I was led down to a waiting room of sorts for people wanting to see the magistrate and was greeted by who would ultimately become my 'sponcifer' (for lack of a better word) whom I will call 'Officer W' for the sake of this story. We sat through a roll call with 'The Sarge' and departed in an unmarked car for the duration of our shift. Being in an unmarked car was sort of a mixed blessing, as it gave us more 'freedom' to move around with a little more stealth, but it also lacked quite a few of the technologies that some of the more specialized cars were equipped with. So, on with the show -

I think this night gave me a nice 'variety' of different things officers have to deal with on a day to day basis. We did our share of traffic stops, and the thing that floored me the most about the majority of contact made with people was MOST OF THEM HAD NO VALID IDENTIFICATION! This proved to be a pain in the arse, as Officer W had to get back on the radio and call in their name, DOB, and SSN. Not surprisingly, it usually took a brief stint in some cuffs to get the 'truth' out of these folks. *Shakes Head*

We patrolled the 'low income housing' projects, and I learned quite a bit about some of the rules and regulations surrounding these places. Even more scary was when he pointed out that there is a large weapon (AK-47) somewhere within one of them. From this PHRA visit, we passed by the railroad tracks which is a known hot area for people stealing copper and other precious metals (so needless to say) we made contact with a suspect and were in the process of citing him for trespassing on the railroad tracks, when a call for 'Shots Fired' was called in. (One of the funnest parts - DRIVING FAST with the lights and sirens on in full effect) We arrived on scene to find that the recipient of the wrong end of a gun was already DOA. So, we spent the next several hours outside of the crime scene tape ensuring that noone came in or went out of the cordoned off area unless they were SUPPOSED to be there. Once we were relieved, we went about our normal patrol (after enjoying a yummy Wawa sammich) We also made our way to dispatch, and I got to get a look at the faces behind the radio rotation and the technologies afforded to them. (As well as the 'districting' maps and how they translate to the patrol officers)

The rest of the evening/morning was spent making contact with various drivers and individuals who NEEDED to be reminded that they should be elsewhere.

No license and underage driving - Check
    Carrying an open container in the project housing - Check
    Prostitutes that were more than honest with what they were up to - Check
    Domestic 'GTFO Mah House Mama' call - Check
    Taking possession of the 'wannabe whacko' trying to get out of the military by committing a couple of SERIOUS felonys - Check
    Naked guy yelling at his girlfriend - Check

And sadly one of our final calls was at the house of a very nice family (in a not so nice neighborhood) that were vandalized by someone with a rock and a nearby escape route. I felt bad for this family as they were obviously the victim of some deliquents who just wanted to do something destructive (at 3 in the AM)

All in all I was VERY pleased with this experience and I think I might schedule another ride along sometime in the not so distant future. My 'sponcifer' had enough of a sense of humor/personality to make it pleasurable to spend an entire 12 hour shift with him, but was ALL BUSINESS enough to do his job quite effectively. Come to think of it, ALL of the officers I got to speak with were really cool people and individuals I could see myself associating with outside of duty on a social activity. (i.e. MMA EVENT!!! Yeah, I asked every officer if they were MMA junkies like me)

Although I still have no desire to change my career path (nor could I, as broken as my body is) I have an even NEWER found respect and admiration for the difficult job that you all perform on a daily basis. I think the biggest thing I took from this experience is a deeper understanding WHY you chose this profession. Aside from dealing with people that lie to you at every chance they get, the fact that you get to be of assistance and comfort to the scared family who had a rock chucked through a window helps make what you do satisfying and worthwhile.

Thank you again to Officer W for taking the time to share some of what you do every day when you get behind the wheel to help keep people like me and my family safe(er) from some of the things that most people (hopefully) will never have to see. I think a thank you card is in order for the department. That was a truly awesome experience, and way beyond my expectations. (As I honestly went into this with none)

Take care, be safe, and continue to fight the good fight!
    There are 3 sides to every story - Your lawyer, their lawyer, and forensics.

Dont give up on the mma!!!!! Oh yeah being a cop is fun also.
    Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.

We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

Comment

First of all, this narrative of your ride along was wonderfully written. It get's annoying when you see posts on here that can barely be deciphered.

I have been on many ride alongs in the past; countless. I can still remember my first ride along like it were yesterday. I was nervous, excited, sweating...nervous! But, like you, I learned a lot about a career I had been dreaming of since a child. The more I learned, the more I wanted it. It also gave me a respect for what officers do day in and day out. People do not understand what being a police officer entails, myself included. The general public sees a well groomed man/woman driving a shiny car with a shiny badge and shiny gun. It appears glamorous; but that is superficial. I respect all of those out there doing what they can to "serve and protect."

Like I mentioned, being an officer has been a dream of mine since childhood. I applied 3 times to KSP (I only wanted to be a Trooper) and this year paid off. The academy starts May 22.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Hope you have many more.

I like MMA too.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5129 users online. 177 members and 4952 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X