Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The measure sailed through the Senate with little debate, passing on a vote of 44-2. The House also approved the measure by a large margin, passing it on a vote of 75-18.
    Isn't that what we call a "mandate" ??

Those dopers often use a thing called a "resin heaven" that has a screen that lets fine particles gather under it, is going so making hash ? Technically yes.

Bill
    Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

Originally posted by 1082 View Post
      You're right. I doubt many will get life for it, but I'll bet they'll have damn near 100% guilty pleas. I'm sure the threat of life is really just there to punk the people out so they don't ask for jury trial.
      Anyone who pleads guilty to a crime they did not commit is a fool and has a bigger fool for an attorney.

No judge in the country will (or should) accept a guilty plea unless the accused fully admits to the merits of the crime they are pleading guilty to. The judge also needs to assure themselves that the plea is being made in good faith and willingly.

I see no problem with a fully thought out and fully explained plea deal.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Studys show that the Death Penalty doesn't deter murder, so their claim that it will deter drug manufacturing is garbage. Save this econmy 10 Billion a year a stop fighting the use of marijuana. Legalize it, tax it, free up prison space and let the stoners be happy and increase potato chip revenue.

Comment

Originally posted by bcbulldog2 View Post
          Studys show that the Death Penalty doesn't deter murder, so their claim that it will deter drug manufacturing is garbage. Save this econmy 10 Billion a year a stop fighting the use of marijuana. Legalize it, tax it, free up prison space and let the stoners be happy and increase potato chip revenue.

First of all the death penalty isn't in play in this situation so your argument is moot.

Second---- Yea the death penalty does in fact deter that particular person from re offending and so will a life sentence for some stoner who gets caught up in a situation that would put him in this situation.

Third-----Your studies and your 10 Billion(yea right ----that MIGHT be a figure for fighting ALL drug usage) are not conclusive. I have yet to see a study that convinced me either way on the effectiveness of the death penalty because most of them start with a bias on one side or the other.
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Originally posted by rstrainii View Post
            Life in prison for manufacturing of any drug is what is should have been revised too. Drugs ruin society, but if we did not have them I would be out of a job.
            All politicians want to get tough on crime, but then they want to underfund the prison system. Remember all those laws that they passed? Well now there are more people in prison than ever, and they don't want to pay to hire more staff and build new facilities. You don't want to pay the thousands of dollars a year it costs to keep a lot of these drug offenders locked up and pay for their food, housing, medical care.
            What is Perseverance?
            -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
            -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
            -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Great law!

Now everyone will switch to making and selling the less dangerous "Meth."

Idiots...

M-11
              “All men dream...... But not equally..
              Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
              but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
              for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                First of all the death penalty isn't in play in this situation so your argument is moot.

Second---- Yea the death penalty does in fact deter that particular person from re offending and so will a life sentence for some stoner who gets caught up in a situation that would put him in this situation.

Third-----Your studies and your 10 Billion(yea right ----that MIGHT be a figure for fighting ALL drug usage) are not conclusive. I have yet to see a study that convinced me either way on the effectiveness of the death penalty because most of them start with a bias on one side or the other.
                The reason they dont re-offend is because they were crimes of passion and the person they wanted dead is dead. They have no reason to kill again. Its a proven fact the death penalty doesn't deter crime and if the most extreem sanction in our society doesn't work none will that was the only comparison being made.

As far as my statistics i cant back with conclusive evidence but whatever the amount it's HIGH, nevertheless we incarcerate more people than anybody else in the world. The next highest country to incarcerate is China and they Have 4x our population and only incarcerate half the amount of people. The last thing we need to do is crowd our prisions with "victimless crimes" when there are more important matters to deal with. There are more drugs in the country today than there ever has been. Clearly what we are doing isnt working. Legalize the grass, tax it, and move on. It wouldn't of had to come to this if the government knew how to appropriate money.

I don't condone drug use however I don't want to spend my hard earned money on people that dont need to be in jail for non violent crimes for the rest of their lives. Building more prisons and jails isn't the solution to our problems. We need to move away from the social stigmatization associated with marijuana and join the 21st century. As somebody else in here said "legalize it or don't I dont care ill just enforce the law". I share that opinion but am in favor of giving anything a shot to try and better this econmy. Worry about the drugs that people are overdosing on and dieing from instead.

Comment

Originally posted by bcbulldog2 View Post
                  The reason they dont re-offend is because they were crimes of passion and the person they wanted dead is dead. .
                  No the reason an executed criminal doesn't re-offend is because they are dead.

Read some stats on the number of killers that re-offend..MANY of them while in prison.

That is digressing from the original thread.

I don't care who gets imprisoned..................just give the people that work in the prisons the resources to deal with them.

It it your elected representatives that decide the laws and the penalties for breaking those laws. We in the enforcement/incarceration end of it just handle the byproducts of the "get tough on crime" politicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                    No the reason an executed criminal doesn't re-offend is because they are dead.

Read some stats on the number of killers that re-offend..MANY of them while in prison.

I don't care who gets imprisoned..................just give the people that work in the prisons the resources to deal with them.

It it your elected representatives that decide the laws and the penalties for breaking those laws. We in the enforcement/incarceration end of it just handle the byproducts of the "get tough on crime" politicians.
                    I wan't talking about those on death row. I was talking about those who murdered knowing they could face the death penalty and killed anyways because they are a disgruntled lover, or want to collect from a life insurance policy. I know the stats about those who kill and re-offend and they are 99.9% of the time in a prison gang and their only choice is to kill or be killed. Thats a whole different category.

Anyway we are moving away from the get tough on crime approach because we can't afford to pay the prisions because of the state of our economy. This law is another thing we can't afford.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4095 users online. 232 members and 3863 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X